Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Which Toy Hauler

The Wife and I have been looking at Toy Haulers for us and the Spyder we were actually in Hershey PA today and saw a lot of real nice units, does anyone have one they would like to comment on to help us make our decision?
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Bump Skid
    Ultimate Seat
    Air Horn
    Fuze Block
    LED Marker & Brake lights
    Custom Art Work

Spyder Garage

I did a bunch of shopping around this year for a toy hauler. There are plenty of trailers, but I wanted a Class A or C type RV.

I looked at a number of the Thor Outlaws. Their layouts are amazing! One of them had 3 queen beds! One was over the garage and in it's own little bunk house! The garages are very big.
    Outlaw-Toterhomes-Class-A-Toy-Haulers-RV.jpg

We saw one in use at a Harley Rally. Very impressive, but I kept looking because I wanted a diesel engine, not the Ford V10 gas engine. I also was disappointed with the quality of finish out of the inside of the units. Everything looked very nice, but it was cheap. I looked at a unit that only had about 35K miles on it and the inside did not hold up well to its use.

We ended up getting a 2008 Jayco Seneca ZX. It is perfect for us: big diesel engine (Chevy Duramax 5500,) has a lift-gate rather than a typical ramp, and the build quality is vastly better than the Thor units. Being 8 years old and 36K miles, the interior looked brand new. It is a beast of an engine and should last for many years. They quit making the toy hauler version in 2008.

2007_seneca_zx_outlook.jpg
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Check with the Brydens also

At the Deadwood 3 Wheel Rally, "Mrs Lamonter" (Joan) was telling me about their toy hauler. I just wish. Now you got me thinking about that again. What if I robbed a bank?
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Dave, call me. I will ask you some questions that would steer you in with way you would want to go. Somebody else's answer may not be yours or what would work for you, or see me at the next meeting. This can be a fun process.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

I am on my second Work and Play Toy Hauler by Forrest River. Been very happy with them both. Hauling Spyder, UTV or Motorcycles. Nice interiors with all the amenities and generator.

Also lower than most Toy Haulers and makes for easier loading with a lower ramp angle so Spyder does not "high center" or get caught.

2017 25WAP (30 feet) Ford F150 ecoboost twin turbo with airbags. Trailer MSRP is about $29,000 as

equipped. Large generator, ducted A/C and heat. Nice roomy front separate bedroom with two electric

"Happy Jack" beds in the rear.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 09-18-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Just purchased a Grey Wolf toy hauler. So far I
    really like it. 2017 and very affordable

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought a Fleetwood toy hauler at Hershey a few years ago from the local dealer there. We had very poor service from the dealer and very poor quality of the delivered unit. Had to file complaints with the PA Attorney General to get the dealer to repair a structural defect they denied existed, until multiple units showed up with the same problems.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    Dave, call me. I will ask you some questions that would steer you in with way you would want to go. Somebody else's answer may not be yours or what would work for you, or see me at the next meeting. This can be a fun process.
    is your advice secret? How about sharing it with the rest of us?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    is your advice secret? How about sharing it with the rest of us?
    No secret, but depending on what they answer comes the next Question. Some may prefer a motor coach and tow a trailer, some would prefer a motor coach that can also drive there toy on, Some prefer fifth wheels, here you have more options, when you set up, your tow vehicle is able drive away. Some prefer something smaller, say a tow hauler tow behind. Towing trailers depend allot on the truck capabilities. Some only want cargo trailers that have no living quarters. Most depend on what they can afford. They can cost anywhere from $12,000 and up over $500,000 and up, for anything that has living quarters and space for there toy. Don't always think your getting a great deal, cause there are always better deals somewhere, but you might have to take a road trip.
    Last edited by rnet; 09-18-2016 at 05:39 PM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Truck.jpg

When we go, we take all the toys.

We have a Keystone Raptor 301 with triple slide. Inside will either be the Spyder or Maverick and pull the Crestliner Raptor behind.
    2015 Can-am Spyder RT Limited no mods

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    We will catch up with you was a good experiance going to the show and seeing all the differnt options, not buying until maybe next year so have time to research and figure out whats best.
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Bump Skid
    Ultimate Seat
    Air Horn
    Fuze Block
    Custom Art Work

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

We have a 36 ft Dutchmen Voltage 3200 that we got to haul the Spyder. It's the smallest of the Voltage models. It works well and we like it. I think your choice will be based on what you are looking for as part of the package, your cost range and the most important, towing limits. Do not overlook towing capabilities. Toy haulers are HEAVY. I replaced my single rear wheel F350 after we bought the Voltage. The Voltage empty weight was the top limit for the F350 to pull. I now have an F450 dually.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

We chose a Forest River Vengeance 29V. It is working out great for us. Replaced the dinenet with a powered loveseat for greater comfort. Heading to Florida this winter for an extended stay.

The Spyder is a tight fit front to back but plenty of width for easy loading and unloading. New cost about 26k. You will need a tow vehicle with at least 19000 Lb Combined weight rating, Loaded truck and Loaded Trailer. That's 7000 lbs for the truck and 12000 lbs for the trailer.

jaherbst, who posted earlier, is a fan of the work and play series. They are a much heavier built unit with less frills. So many choices, find one that works for you.

Your tow vehicle is the key, unless you are willing to spring for a new one. I got cought in that trap and had to spring for a new to me tow vehicle (F-250 superduty 6.2 gas) after buying the Vengeance and had no way to tow it home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Might want to checkout Heartland trailer. They have almost any size or type you may want. They are a four season trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ours was a Keystone Fuzion 310 - 35ft total length 5th wheel not including the tow rig. The 10ft garage fit our RS and two sportbikes though it was tight.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Be very careful what you think or someone else says about a "truck (or any vehicle) that can pull anything". A Toyota pickup towed the Space Shuttle across a bridge but that doesn't mean it could, or you should, tow it across the country. Yep, any pickup can indeed "pull" anything! But can it actually safely "tow" it? There is a lot to towing, including quick or even emergency turns and stops without the trailer rolling over you.

We had our toy hauler before we had any motorcycles. I was working as a contractor around the country and we sold the house and lived in the trailer full-time. I wanted a toy hauler so I would have a garage with a workbench and we enjoyed living full-time in the trailer but it had its compact living challenges!

Shortly after getting the trailer we towed it from Erie, PA to Dallas, TX, with our Dodge 3500 dually with the Cummings diesel engine. It was a great pickup but it became obvious that it was not up to the task of towing our 14,000 lb. trailer that actually weighed 22,000 lbs. with our "stuff" in it and there's no way our "stuff" weighed 8,000 lbs.

Never never ever ever believe the published weights of any RV.

Never!

We opted for a larger truck, a Volvo 770 with dual bunks, registered as a motor-home. You can find these used for pretty good prices and ours had an autoshift transmission in it. As being non-commercial, a CDL was not required. And it really did pull the trailer almost like it wasn't there and it was a dream to drive with or without the trailer!

HDT forum: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32

770_Trailer_Smaller_.jpg
    Last edited by WA5VHU; 09-19-2016 at 09:24 PM.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    Be very careful what you think or someone else says about a "truck (or any vehicle) that can pull anything". A Toyota pickup towed the Space Shuttle across a bridge but that doesn't mean it could, or you should, tow it across the country. Yep, any pickup can indeed "pull" anything! But can it actually safely "tow" it? There is a lot to towing, including quick or even emergency turns and stops without the trailer rolling over you.

We had our toy hauler before we had any motorcycles. I was working as a contractor around the country and we sold the house and lived in the trailer full-time. I wanted a toy hauler so I would have a garage with a workbench and we enjoyed living full-time in the trailer but it had its compact living challenges!

Shortly after getting the trailer we towed it from Erie, PA to Dallas, TX, with our Dodge 3500 dually with the Cummings diesel engine. It was a great pickup but it became obvious that it was not up to the task of towing our 14,000 lb. trailer that actually weighed 22,000 lbs. with our "stuff" in it and there's no way our "stuff" weighed 8,000 lbs.

Never!

We opted for a larger truck, a Volvo 660 with dual bunks, registered as a motor-home. You can find these used for pretty good prices and ours had an autoshift transmission in it. As being non-commercial, a CDL was not required. And it really did pull the trailer almost like it wasn't there and it was a dream to drive with or without the trailer!

770_Trailer_Smaller_.jpg

I am big on researching everything before making any moves and did find all 3500 class pickups dually or not would not be adequate for most of the larger haulers. I have poked around looking at the 5500 class as well as single rear axle tractors. thanks for the advice travel safe.
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Bump Skid
    Ultimate Seat
    Air Horn
    Fuze Block
    Custom Art Work

Spyder Garage

0423161811_HDR.jpg0423161752_HDR.jpg

Not every toyhauler has to be 36+ft, we have traveled over 12000 miles with this 19ft trailer.

Spyder Garage

We had a 22' Continental Cargo Toy Hauler (Forest River Division). It wasn't the most comfy, but it had all the trimmings.

As many have said, the posted weight of the trailers tend to be understated. Ours was about 2000# understated. Towed it with an F-150 5.0 V8.... And while the truck did fine taking our time, we could have used either the ecoboot motor or more truck.

So I think the first thing you need to calculate is how much truck you currently have versus how much you will need.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post

Jack

Never!

We opted for a larger truck, a Volvo 660 with dual bunks, registered as a motor-home. You can find these used for pretty good prices and ours had an autoshift transmission in it. As being non-commercial, a CDL was not required. And it really did pull the trailer almost like it wasn't there and it was a dream to drive with or without the trailer!

770_Trailer_Smaller_.jpg
    Pretty sure you would not be able to get in and out of most RV Parks with this "rig". Boy it sure would be fun to drive. I see others like this on the road but I have owned 9 RV's. The largest a 42 foot diesel pusher with a double decker motorsport trailer. Just too hard to maintain. It becomes a full time job. Nothing beats a big rig over the road though when you want to get somewhere.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Research and patience are the key .....

After 2 years of looking around, I found on Craigslist a 2004 K&S 32' toy-hauler that was in fantastic shape. New tires, new awning, everything in good shape, everything worked with all the bells and whistles.....

And the best part about it, only $8,000.00 !!!

We spent a couple of months familiarizing ourselves with it and a few short runs .... and then took off for an 8 week, 8800 mile trip across the country with my Goldwing in the back (this is prior to getting my wife her F3).

Moral of the story, a little research and patience turned into a great adventure, and I can still trade the toy-hauler in for more than I paid for it.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Pretty sure you would not be able to get in and out of most RV Parks with this "rig". Boy it sure would be fun to drive. I see others like this on the road but I have owned 9 RV's. The largest a 42 foot diesel pusher with a double decker motorsport trailer. Just too hard to maintain. It becomes a full time job. Nothing beats a big rig over the road though when you want to get somewhere.

​Jack
    We did have to make it clear to the campgrounds how long we were and there may have been some that we skipped but most that we were interested in staying at were pull-thru and we had no problem. We would typically stay for 6 months or longer so if it was a bit difficult to get in and out we didn't have to do it a lot. With a 50° wheel cut these Volvo's can turn very sharp.

Here we are in the campground for Washington DC, the big red truck and the trailer just below it. This is a winter shot and all those lower camping places are not used so we can park the truck wherever we like down there, otherwise we park in an overflow lot not too far from our campsite, well within walking distance.

Truck & Trailer-Cherry Hill MD.jpg

And yes, it was indeed fun to drive for both me and the wife. I really miss having it.

Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pineywoods36 View Post
    I am big on researching everything before making any moves and did find all 3500 class pickups dually or not would not be adequate for most of the larger haulers. I have poked around looking at the 5500 class as well as single rear axle tractors. thanks for the advice travel safe.
    A single axle tractor is usually preferred, I just didn't want to spend the money or the time to convert our truck.

Folks talk real proud of their 4500 and 5500 and other MDT's (Medium Duty Trucks). They typically ride very rough (no air ride) are under-powered (pickup or an enlarged pickup engine) and wear out transmissions, brakes, etc. when towing the big loads. A used HDT (Heavy Duty Truck) can often be had for less than a MDT. A HDT is no wider than a dually pickup or a MDT. It is longer however it may have a sharper turning radius, the Volvo's wheels turn 50°.

If you need something more than a 3500 you really may want to check out both MDT and HDT trucks and read up on the forums before you make a decision.
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should tell my company about this. Maybe we will get rid of our 30,000 plus single axle Kw's, Frieght shakers and Volvo's that we haul up to 80,000 everyday of the week. That way I can get a sleeper unit and take my naps while waiting for dispatch to give me a couple trailers to head back with.

Your Volvo is over kill. A single axle Volvo would have worked better with the correct gear and transmission setup.
    Just my two cents of driving those things for 40 plus years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by copilot View Post
    Maybe I should tell my company about this. Maybe we will get rid of our 30,000 plus single axle Kw's, Frieght shakers and Volvo's that we haul up to 80,000 everyday of the week. That way I can get a sleeper unit and take my naps while waiting for dispatch to give me a couple trailers to head back with.

Your Volvo is over kill. A single axle Volvo would have worked better with the correct gear and transmission setup.
    Just my two cents of driving those things for 40 plus years.

Yepper, you are indeed correct, a single axle would have been better. We sold our Dodge Ram dually for fairly big bucks and bought the Volvo for only about $15,000. It was overkill but as I said I didn't want to spend the money or take the time to have it converted to single axle. It worked great for us the way it was.

Just my 1.75 cents based on driving for over 60 years. (All the way from a pedal tricycle to a motorized one.)

And we now return to the thread at hand...
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous: