Spyder Garage

Default Easiest way to change the zumo 660 mount to have a 590

My wife got a zumo 590LM with her '15 STL. I have a 3yrold 660LM installed on my '15 RT-S. It's always been quirky but got the job done.

Having both devices I have found the 660 is yesterday's technology BIG TIME by comparison. When we both are riding the same basecamp-generated routes, both gps's take us different directions, esp. in urban areas (same maps, s/w updates & prefs). She gets much clearer directions. Also when we are slow or stopped at a complex intersection, her 590 updates her direction & route instantly when mine slowly shows I'm pointed in a different direction altogether.

I'm considering an upgrade for my RT and weighing my options. I figure I can resell the 660LM, and spring for the 590, but the spyder mounts/harnesses are different.

Any ideas on how to change the mount (I have std. bars) and wiring without coughing up another $250 for a 590 OEM harness/mount? The cost of the 590 is bad enuf. .

(BTW, Have actually seen the price of the 590 drop since the 595 came out).

I'm thinking, gotta be the same wires to the bike coming off of both setups. But I don't know what's involved in the switch to do it myself.

Spyder Garage

On my 2011 LTD, I left the mount for the 660 and simply added another mount/cradle for the 590LM up high on the dash using the JT bar and ball. I ran the cabling thru the windshield lever hole and down along the right side of the tank. I zip tied new cabling to old leaving it alone and simply moved the OEM plugs to the new harness. The 590 also has a great USB cable that I ran up thru the right dash speaker grill and use it to charge my iPhone in my tank bag.
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

I have the JT bar too but have an Xmount there for my smartphone. So I want to mount the 590 in the center of the bars where the 660 is. Sounds like you went with a new 590 harness. I'm interested in knowing a cheaper workaround using what I have if possible

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

There is no such thing as a OEM GPS harness/mount. The GPS mount/harness on the handlebars is from Garmin. When you buy a brand new Zumo 590 it will have a new motorcycle mount in the box. Since you already have the 660 just reuse the BRP bracket and switch the mount.
    Last edited by billybovine; 09-20-2016 at 08:49 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Do you have Bluetooth for your helmets ?
    If you do, you can mount the GPS anywhere and pair it with your helmet headset.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

The part attached to the handelbar for the 660 has the holes for the screws exactly in the same place that the harness for 590.
    So, my next (and first DIY) will be remove the 660 cradle, remove the 660 cables and mount the 590 using the same route than
    the old one.

I think I should go OK.
    2018 F3 Ltd. , Black/Dark

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OEM Harness

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    There is no such thing as a OEM GPS harness/mount. The GPS mount/harness on the handlebars is from Garmin. When you buy a brand new Zumo 590 it will have a new motorcycle mount in the box. Since you already have the 660 just reuse the BRP bracket and switch the mount.
    Sort of yes, sort of no on the OEM harness. I am in the process of switching from a 660 to a 590 and, as such, have had extensive discussion with the Garmin OEM team. The reason for these discussions is that BRP sells their version of the 590 WITHOUT the harness -- it's true! What they do instead is pair the harness with an appropriate bracket for installation on the Spyder. Since I already have the 660 mounted, I was considering paying $60 for an original Garmin 590 harness, but could not confirm if the length and features are exactly the same as the OEM harness that Garmin supplies to BRP. The Garmin OEM team made it clear that the only way to guarantee full function out of a BRP "branded" 590 was to buy the OEM harness from BRP (Garmin does not sell it as a separate item). So, even though I don't NEED the bracket, I ended up buying the bracket / harness assembly and will just sell the bracket with the 660 (since it is also a BRP "branded" unit with Spyder specific stuff in it like the dealer list).

The swap itself does not look too difficult, though the 590 harness appears to have a wider connector of some type that may require cutting a different hole (the 660 runs through the center of the handle bar).

Good luck with the swap .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder_Cowgirl View Post
    Sort of yes, sort of no on the OEM harness. I am in the process of switching from a 660 to a 590 and, as such, have had extensive discussion with the Garmin OEM team. The reason for these discussions is that BRP sells their version of the 590 WITHOUT the harness -- it's true! What they do instead is pair the harness with an appropriate bracket for installation on the Spyder. Since I already have the 660 mounted, I was considering paying $60 for an original Garmin 590 harness, but could not confirm if the length and features are exactly the same as the OEM harness that Garmin supplies to BRP. The Garmin OEM team made it clear that the only way to guarantee full function out of a BRP "branded" 590 was to buy the OEM harness from BRP (Garmin does not sell it as a separate item). So, even though I don't NEED the bracket, I ended up buying the bracket / harness assembly and will just sell the bracket with the 660 (since it is also a BRP "branded" unit with Spyder specific stuff in it like the dealer list).

The swap itself does not look too difficult, though the 590 harness appears to have a wider connector of some type that may require cutting a different hole (the 660 runs through the center of the handle bar).

Good luck with the swap .... Ann
    They did lead you astray. All you needed was the Garmin motorcycle mount. For 2014 and later models. There should have been one in the box with the 590 if you had bought it from a regular store. The only extra work would have been switching the connector for 12V and ground.

garmin 590 mount.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default 590LM replacement for 660

Quote Originally Posted by mcalva View Post
    The part attached to the handelbar for the 660 has the holes for the screws exactly in the same place that the harness for 590.
    So, my next (and first DIY) will be remove the 660 cradle, remove the 660 cables and mount the 590 using the same route than
    the old one.

I think I should go OK.
    I saw you are looking to replace your 660 with the 590. I just purchased the 590LM WITH the Can-AM mounting kit and harness for about the same price as you can fine just the 590 on the sites. Look on EBay for the 590... the seller is a Can-Am dealer and the parts are genuine Can-AM. Yes the wiring comes with the non Can am GPS but with the CAN-AM parts, the harness is custom fit to the bike... and at the same price... great deal.