Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Just installed this one today.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/215-60R15...Tires/52943290
    David

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just installed the Yokohama sdrive last week on my 13 RT! Has anyone been running with this tire and had good or bad results??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Love it

I have 8,000 mi. on mine and it is maybe a little more than 1/2 worn out. I will replace it with another one. I run 22 lbs in it and 40 lb. in my air bag. Seems to be the sweet spot for us.
    Last edited by Bensonoid; 10-12-2016 at 05:49 PM.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Just replaced the S drive today, had 18533 miles on it . Replacement is also and S drive, happy with the way it handles.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    I just bought the Kumho Esctra AST tire and got it yesterday ...supposed to have it installed tomorrow on the rear of my 2014 RTL. One of the Can Am dealers in my area that I called and asked if they would install the Kumho tire said they strongly recommended that I not use that tire. The dealership service guy told me he has a brand new one (Esctra AST) sitting on his office floor now that he just took off a Spyder. He said the owner said that it was sliding all over the place in the rain ...that the Kenda was a soft tire for that reason.

On the other hand, I've read several good reviews from Spyder owners ...but I am wondering how many have ridden it in the rain.

So...does anyone here have any experience with the Kumho Ecstra AST in the rain? It is a much stiffer tire and I expect it will last a lot longer than the Kenda (I certainly hope so) ...but just wondering about the rain?

Suppose to have my Kumho mounted tomorrow at another dealership that is fine with it.

Thanks
    I have the Kumho and just rode 100 miles home in the rain and the wind from Maggie Valley. Didn't matter what speed I was going, 60 or 80, the rear was planted on the road. No problems with the Kumho in the rain.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ............The Stealers only sell CRAPENDA'S .....so what do you think He's going to tell you ........ " All tires can & will HYDROPLANE " given the right conditions..... Mike
    I pulled my Kuhmo after about 11,000 miles as it was down to about 1/3 tread and I was getting pure scared of it in the rain...I rode from Mississippi to Connecticut and back late last year with that tropical storm skirting the coast and between going up and coming back did about 900 miserable miles on the slab in the rain...It was hydroplaning at times at 35 mph...Comparing it to the factory Kenda it hydroplaned worse at equal speeds and tread depth...I am not yet convinced all tires will hydroplane that bad...I have that General Altima tire on it now and figure about 10,000 miles from now I will know.......
    Last edited by DC1; 10-13-2016 at 06:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I have the Kumho and just rode 100 miles home in the rain and the wind from Maggie Valley. Didn't matter what speed I was going, 60 or 80, the rear was planted on the road. No problems with the Kumho in the rain.
    I too have the Kumho for the rear....what pressure are you running? My tire must be over inflated because when it is wet out there my back end cuts loose at every start up
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

When I originally started this thread, it was just before getting the Kumho Ecstra AST. I had a little anxiety about it since some had frowned on the "car tire" so I was hoping I wasn't making a mistake changing to a car tire.

Now I've put over a 1000 miles on it (with some wet pavement included). I made the right choice...it handles great wet or dry! I don't know how the millage will turn out, but it couldn't be less than the two previous Kendas and I fully expect it will go way beyond the millage I got on the Kendas (rear). They were terrible.

And another plus: the Kumho was around $90 (shipping included)... Kenda would have been $40 more.

One other note, while searching for the Kumho Ecstra AST, one online tire company told me that Kumho has discontinued that tire. I found one however at Tirerack.com. That's where I got mine but I think it was one of the last ones they had.

So far, I am very pleased with the tire! And I'm really glad to get away from Kenda (rear tire...the fronts do ok for me). Happy riding!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HYDROPLANING

Quote Originally Posted by DC1 View Post
    I pulled my Kuhmo after about 11,000 miles as it was down to about 1/3 tread and I was getting pure scared of it in the rain...I rode from Mississippi to Connecticut and back late last year with that tropical storm skirting the coast and between going up and coming back did about 900 miserable miles on the slab in the rain...It was hydroplaning at times at 35 mph...Comparing it to the factory Kenda it hydroplaned worse at equal speeds and tread depth...I am not yet convinced all tires will hydroplane that bad...I have that General Altima tire on it now and figure about 10,000 miles from now I will know.......
    I don't know if you have ever read my THREADS concerning HYDROPLANING ..... You don't mention what PSI you had in your Kumho, and this is very important. Lots of folks here have switched to CAR tires and used the PSI ( 28 ) of the Kenda's - - - BIG mis-take....... The Spyder doesn't weigh 4000 lbs., but the Kumho can easily handle that weight. The Kumho and/or any CAR tire will perform MUCH better ( especially in WET conditions ) at about 21lbs ( cold ) PSI. ....... On this and other Forums you will get lots of opinions on this subject, I have " Testified in COURT " about it. So I'm actually considered an Expert.......PS the Altimax is a good choice, I have been recommending it for a couple of years. Run it at 21 lbs PSI and it will perform at it's best on your Spyder .............Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Running car tyres on this 2010 RS , using 18 PSI front at the moment ,and 28 in the rear which I now think is too much.
    Racing against a HD V-Rod the other night the back just smoked up and let the V-Rod get a half bike length on me which I couldnt pull back.
    I'm guessing dropping to 21 PSI would improve traction.
    Considering when I run my RWD 1971 V8 Ford at the dragstrip I drop the rears to 21Psi for traction I'm sure 21PSI on a much lighter Spyder will be fine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Picture not working for me either. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My dealer refuses to put a car tire on

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2012 RTS my dealer refuses to put car tires on he said they are too slippery. I had 1850 on my first back tire before I had to replace it so I will stick with the original.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SLIPPERY TIRES - WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by Skipnuss View Post
    I have a 2012 RTS my dealer refuses to put car tires on he said they are too slippery. I had 1850 on my first back tire before I had to replace it so I will stick with the original.

Unfortunately for you - your dealer isn't very knowledgeable about tires ......... and that may only be the TIP of the iceberg ........... I'm assuming the " 1850 " was meant to be 18,500, if so that has to the All time record for a CRAPENDA used on the Rear of an RT .........were you riding on the CORD ????? ..... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Actually the tire was still in half way reasonable shape, but getting thin in center. Yes I meant 18500.

Spyder Garage

S Drive is great
    Im sure lots of tyres are good!
    But the S drive is more than a bike or car tyre.
    It is a sports tyre.
    Luv it

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    I too have the Kumho for the rear....what pressure are you running? My tire must be over inflated because when it is wet out there my back end cuts loose at every start up
    At the time I was riding in the rain, it was 26. I have since lowered it to 22. I figure the cooler weather will lower it a little bit more for me.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Hey!!!! I am now a Very Active Member. I guess 500 posts must be the cutoff point. WOW, only 150,000 more posts and I can catch up to Bob!

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H

Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H ordered from Amazon and had it 2 days later.

2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

S drive
    Yeah babey

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!