Spyder Garage

Default Possible new purchase

Hi.
    I am going to purchase my wife a used Spyder. I have a line on a 2009 Spyder GS with the manual transmission. She would rather have the auto but we have a limited budget and this one is a great price. My wife is 60 years old and in great health.
    Our question(s) are:
    - is the clutch going to be a problem for her small hands?
    - the riding position looks a little like a sport bike. Is that going to be an issue if we take any trips?
    Thanks for your time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frigmall View Post
    Hi.
    I am going to purchase my wife a used Spyder. I have a line on a 2009 Spyder GS with the manual transmission. She would rather have the auto but we have a limited budget and this one is a great price. My wife is 60 years old and in great health.
    Our question(s) are:
    - the riding position looks a little like a sport bike. Is that going to be an issue if we take any trips?
    Thanks for your time.
    I put a ST seat on my 08 Spyder along with some 4" risers. Did the exact mod to my wife's except I put a comfort seat on hers. The comfort seat sets up up a little higher where the ST maybe a little lower than the OEM seat. My wife loves her SE model. She doesn't know how to drive one with a manual shift. I ride hers from time to time and really like the paddle shift.
    David

Spyder Garage

Default Soon to be....

The clutch lever is adjustable for the reach so if you get to any GS or RS, RSS, ST models check it out. Little checking about should net you some semi automatic spyders a good prices. The clutch is assisted so not hard to deal with . I prefer manual but she would have to decide. A test ryde on any of those models would be a good idea. They have them at many dealers. The seating again would be for her to decide and you can make adjustments with porducts on the market from our sponsor vendors here...good luck and hope to see her out there soon....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I heartily agree with Gene about a test ride for your bride. It could be the best thing you do before turning over your coin. Not to appear to be a pessimist but, given your wife's size, aftermarket accessories to make the bike fit her might be a poor second best alternative to a different model Spyder. YMMV.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As a female, I found the clutch very hard to squeeze compared to other bikes I had ridden.

Spyder Garage

I've ridden bikes for years and found depending on how and where you ride the constant in and out of a brake or clutch does end up hurting my hands and with carpal tunnel makes the ride a chore. I really recommend a long test ride that will require up and down shifting to see how she really feels.

I love my 6SE but understand the cost factor. Good luck and welcome to the family. :-)
    2019 F3T , Blue

Spyder Garage

​" Possible Advice" get something with a semi auto if you really want her to ride a lot with you. I would only recommend the shift to a very few who want to rod around. The auto is just as quick if not quicker anyway. She will tire of the shift and not ride it.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

My wife is 4'10" and small hands. She took the MSF three wheel class on a manual bike and was not happy with the clutch pull effort. Definitely take her to test ride a manual first. The semi-auto is more expensive, but cheaper than a bike that never gets ridden.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Default Agree that the clutch pull may be a bit much for her, even with adjust settings

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    As a female, I found the clutch very hard to squeeze compared to other bikes I had ridden.
    Our 11RT SM5 wasn't as hard to pull as the Harley Sportster she had, but smaller hands, and as we get older, we sure enjoy the SE model. I think I still would like a SM6, Until I get in some stop and go traffic again!!!!
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    ​" Possible Advice" get something with a semi auto if you really want her to ride a lot with you. I would only recommend the shift to a very few who want to rod around. The auto is just as quick if not quicker anyway. She will tire of the shift and not ride it.

Jack

You're not doing her any favors by buying her a manual. She'll never ride as much as you want her to and you'll be disappointed. Better find a little more coin.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Make sure she wants to ride her own first and then buy something she wants.

If she doesn't want it then it is going to make a good cheap purchase for the next owner.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Also agree about the SM versus the SE. New, it was a $1,500 difference. It should be no more than $100 or so now if they are counting the SM vs. the SE.

Ride position is important to some. I installed 4" risers on ours and got the SE version as well. The spouse rode it a lot. Would not adapt to the SM (which I had at the time).

Spouse should test drive the unit you are planning to buy. That is very important IMO.

Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you end up with.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frigmall View Post
    Hi.
    Our question(s) are:
    Thanks for your time.
    Hello, are you still planning to purchase? I have a 2013 ST-L custom with the SE paddle shifters=no clutch lever. The lowest I can go is $11,000. I have to sell due going over seas. I can send pics and other info or you can check out my post from last night. Thank you and good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk