Spyder Garage

Default STS limited shifting issue..?

Hi - General question about the shifting of 2014 sts-limited SE-5. The past 3-4 times I have ridden my bike, I have noticed it shifting hard/clunk from 2-3 & 3-4. I have also noticed a "delayed" shift from 2-3 & 3-4. This is not happening every time. It is a 2014 with 3,200 miles. I am shifting between 5500-6500 rpm. I have read in other forums that the clunk is not uncommon. Anyone experienced the clunk/hard or delayed (when shifting up to next gear it goes into gear, but not very smoothly) shift? I have checked the oil level and it is within range on the dip stick.

Thanks for any advice!

Spyder Garage

I have noticed if my thumb lingers too long on the shift (up shift) paddle it affects the speed of the engagement of the next gear. Tapping the paddle quickly on an up shift the shift is crisp and smooth. That is my experience. I hope that helps!!! BTW; your shift rpm's are in the same range that I use, so I do not think that is a problem.
    Ride safe!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Snappy shifting

Total agreement on the lazy thumb shift, quick jab makes for a clean engagement.

Kinda tuff for me, I have a left thumb that has been shortened and bent by a table saw, I have to work at it.

Not sure about RPM, but I have found that 1-2 seems cleaner at 27 MPH, 2-3 at 38 MPH, unless there are extenuating issues that take precedence!!

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    I have noticed if my thumb lingers too long on the shift (up shift) paddle it affects the speed of the engagement of the next gear. Tapping the paddle quickly on an up shift the shift is crisp and smooth. That is my experience. I hope that helps!!! BTW; your shift rpm's are in the same range that I use, so I do not think that is a problem.
    Ride safe!!!

Spyder Garage

The "clunk" issue is usually only the first shift of the day. When the is warmed up, it seems to go away.

RPM's are another consideration. You should be shifting that 998 at between 5000 and 5500.

You should also not be "rolling off" on the throttle. The SE5 is made to hold the throttle in place and just punch the shift button.

In most cases the downshift doing its thing will give you a smooth shift.

If you are doing all of the above, check the oil level first.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-15-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Since this seems to be a new problem. Check the oil level first.

The actual changing of gears should always be the same speed. There can be a big difference in how fast the computer reengages the clutch after the gear shift. How you handle the throttle has a big part of it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

2012 r.t. here 1st and 2nd gear here ! clank CLUNK cliiiiicccckkkkkkkk clunk , so I will most defiantly try the quick shift { the slow eas into gear , is the ccllliiiiiiiicccckkkkkkkkk clunk makes my skin crawl } thanks for input on the shift of all kinds folks !