Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Of course, the same dealership that told me 5 quarts is also the same dealership that says nothing is wrong with my spyder (surging, sputtering). I too will stick with the 4 quarts, thanks!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I changed mine myself and used 4 liter bottles,which is about 4.25 quarts and it worked out perfect.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blinc View Post
    Went to the dealer to get some BRP oil, as no one else had the correct 5w-40 our machines call for, and a quart cost me $12.99. Now, I figuer it cost about what...$70 bucks to have the dealer do the oil change? , and it would cost me $64.95 (takes 5 quarts to fill the spyder) plus whatever those washers etc call for plus my labor, the mess (I'm sure I would make a mess out of it), so to me, it woud make sense to just have the dealer do it.
    $ 70.00 for the dealer to to the oil change?
    Mine wants 240.00, 85.00/ hr plus parts.
    Cost me 76.00 to do it myself

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Just Doo Me View Post
    You could always just drill holes in them to allow for some added circulation.
    Why not make some custom aluminum grid that allows circulation and still protects the underbody?
    NMN or Lamonster, have any interest in producing and selling?
    Last edited by smokster; 05-02-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster View Post
    Why not make some custom aluminum grid that allows circulation and still protects the underbody?
    NMN or Lamonster, have any interest in producing and selling?
    Protects it from what?
    The way I look at it is nothing I own or have ever owned has had any sort of splash pan on it like the Spyder. Not my cars, trucks, atv's, bikes, or tractors. I see no reason to have this other than to keep the heat in. The protection value is just about zero IMHO.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Protects it from what?
    The way I look at it is nothing I own or have ever owned has had any sort of splash pan on it like the Spyder. Not my cars, trucks, atv's, bikes, or tractors. I see no reason to have this other than to keep the heat in. The protection value is just about zero IMHO.
    MY 02 VW Eurovan has a huge one. So big, some oil change places do not want to touch it. I could run over a boulder and I think I would be good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smokster View Post
    MY 02 VW Eurovan has a huge one. So big, some oil change places do not want to touch it. I could run over a boulder and I think I would be good.
    GL1800 Goldwing doesn't have any but there are aftermarket companies that do make them for the Wing. I'm not saying they don't have a purpose I just don't see a great need for them on the steet.

You may someday in the life of your Spyder have something that may or may not fly up in to that area and do some damage to your motor if you don't run these splash pans.

For sure you are going to trap extra heat in the motor area everytime you ride the Spyder with them on. To me I'll take the my chances and op for less heat 100% of the time with them off. I was just passing on information of my results and you can make the judgment call from there.

Spyder Garage

I took the right side one only, figured half was better than not
    Last edited by smokster; 05-03-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default SE splash pans?

I was getting ready to install the NMN hiway brackets and thought I would take off the splash pans. I compared the picture from Lamonster and the bottom of mine and they just don't look the same. Am I looking at the picture the wrong way or what Looks to me there are a couple of different sections on each side
    Are the pans different on the SE?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    I was getting ready to install the NMN hiway brackets and thought I would take off the splash pans. I compared the picture from Lamonster and the bottom of mine and they just don't look the same. Am I looking at the picture the wrong way or what Looks to me there are a couple of different sections on each side
    Are the pans different on the SE?
    My left side looked different from his, right side was the same.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The pans on my SM #3003 looked identical to Lamonster's photos. When I first started looking I was looking too far forward and didn't see them until I looked at the furthest aft pans behind the engine.

Spyder Garage

Default easy oil change

Last summer I took off the splash pans on the bottom of the Spyder to get rid of some of the heat. I've always changed the oil the same way but now that I have the Corbin bags on it's a bit of a pain to get the bottom plastic off.

So I decided to see if I could change the oil just by removing the one side cover. Sure enough I could get to the oil filter just fine and I was able to change my oil without messing with any other panels. Took maybe an hour.

Here's the pics.

I know this is a older post, but I am thinking about removing the splash pans. I am not concerned about the road hazard issue but it appears that the splash panels provide some structural integrity to the bottom outside panel. Has anyone that has taken these splash pans off noticed a weakening of the outside bottom panel.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Exclamation THANKS LAMONSTER!

I saved 60 bucks

Oil Change was easy easy easy ..... a little messy but i know for the next time

THANKS AGAIN BROTHER

OHHHHHH And i did the KEEEEWWWWWWLMETAL Highway pegs at the same time

YOU DA MAN!
    HM1 Nathaniel V. Mitchell, USN, CC-NREMT-P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I know this is a older post, but I am thinking about removing the splash pans. I am not concerned about the road hazard issue but it appears that the splash panels provide some structural integrity to the bottom outside panel. Has anyone that has taken these splash pans off noticed a weakening of the outside bottom panel.
    I thought I noticed that too but when I checked mine without splash pans vs. dltang's with splash pans, it wasn't much different. The hook mount and tab of the lower engine cowls provide a lot of support to the bottom panels. To be sure, I just went out and kinda pushed around on those lower panels again on both mine and dltang's Spyder and they seem to have the same rigidity with or without the splash pans.