Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Lamonster Oil Change the easy way

Last summer I took off the splash pans on the bottom of the Spyder to get rid of some of the heat. I've always changed the oil the same way but now that I have the Corbin bags on it's a bit of a pain to get the bottom plastic off.

So I decided to see if I could change the oil just by removing the one side cover. Sure enough I could get to the oil filter just fine and I was able to change my oil without messing with any other panels. Took maybe an hour.

Here's the pics.

Spyder Garage

Was giving that some thought after I changed mine for the first time last week (after removing all the panels). The protective plate that attaches to the frame has a hole in it lined up with the engine oil plug. Pop the plug, drain the oil and wipe off what little may end up on the plate. The oil drain on the tank is set up same way. Biggest mess would be taking off the filter, but after all the oil from the engine is gone, the only oil left will be what's still hanging on to the filter. A very small amount that will easily be caught by a rag under the filter. Thanks again, Lamont.
    Last edited by Dudley; 03-30-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

lamonster is that an extra battery or is that were the 07s had it?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

His photos have foiled his secrets again...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    lamonster is that an extra battery or is that were the 07s had it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Ask a simple ?, get a simple (sarcastic) answer!
    The glass is half full.
    Mike Murphy
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mike3069 View Post
    Ask a simple ?, get a simple (sarcastic) answer!
    My bad.

Yes I added an extra battery to run the stuff that's on when the Spyder is not running.

Spyder Garage

Last summer I took off the splash pans on the bottom of the Spyder to get rid of some of the heat. I've always changed the oil the same way but now that I have the Corbin bags on it's a bit of a pain to get the bottom plastic off.

So I decided to see if I could change the oil just by removing the one side cover. Sure enough I could get to the oil filter just fine and I was able to change my oil without messing with any other panels. Took maybe an hour.

Here's the pics.

The "splash pans" you are referencing... do you mean the flat plastic panels directly below the oil filter and reservoir (think there's one on the right side, too)? Any adverse effects?

Spyder Garage

Default easy oil change

Here's the pics.

I know this is a older post, but I am thinking about removing the splash pans. I am not concerned about the road hazard issue but it appears that the splash panels provide some structural integrity to the bottom outside panel. Has anyone that has taken these splash pans off noticed a weakening of the outside bottom panel.

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Spyder Garage

Exclamation THANKS LAMONSTER!

I saved 60 bucks

Oil Change was easy easy easy ..... a little messy but i know for the next time

THANKS AGAIN BROTHER

OHHHHHH And i did the KEEEEWWWWWWLMETAL Highway pegs at the same time

YOU DA MAN!
    HM1 Nathaniel V. Mitchell, USN, CC-NREMT-P

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK WIDOW View Post
    I know this is a older post, but I am thinking about removing the splash pans. I am not concerned about the road hazard issue but it appears that the splash panels provide some structural integrity to the bottom outside panel. Has anyone that has taken these splash pans off noticed a weakening of the outside bottom panel.
    I thought I noticed that too but when I checked mine without splash pans vs. dltang's with splash pans, it wasn't much different. The hook mount and tab of the lower engine cowls provide a lot of support to the bottom panels. To be sure, I just went out and kinda pushed around on those lower panels again on both mine and dltang's Spyder and they seem to have the same rigidity with or without the splash pans.