Thread: 2016 RT reverse

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RT reverse

Have a 2016 RT with 1200 miles, started have trouble getting it to go into reverse. It takes several tries. Saw on RT technical forum that flicking the down shift would do the trick. Any more suggestions and what about flicking. If can not solve, will call dealer, but many miles away. Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

On my 2010 I could pull the downshift and then press reverse to engage reverse. On my 16, I learned I had to press the reverse button first before pulling the downshift to engage it. We're at about the same mileage, but I haven't had any problems with reverse yet. Hope you get it figured out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I press rev button first then the shift + paddle and works fine.

Is this what you are doing?

Spyder Garage

Look in the owners manual and find the two sections referring to use of the reverse switch. If you follow the instructions, i.e., engine running, Spyder stopped, brake pedal pressed (the bike will be in first or neutral so I don't know why it says shift into first or neutral), press and hold the reverse button, then pull the gear shift selector toward you to downshift to reverse.

If you do the above and the Spyder won't shift into reverse you have a warranty issue; let the dealer fix it.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's probably just acting the way that it's supposed to...
    Make sure that you've got your thumb firmly planted on the "R", before trying your shift...

I'll still find myself trying to hurry the process along, and it never works out as planned.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I press rev button first then the shift + paddle and works fine.

Is this what you are doing?
    Yes, just taking several tries.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mel View Post
    Yes, just taking several tries.

Press and hold the REV Button and then hit the down shifter to get into reverse.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the suggestions don't work for you. Take it to the dealer for inspection/repair

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I bought my new 2015 RT-S SE6 this past February, we arrived to pick it up just as the dealer's crew finished assembling it. After I rode it around the parking lot, it refused to go into reverse. They were puzzled as they'd just backed it out of the bldg and it worked fine. But, they too, could never get it into reverse again. So, after taking about 20 minutes trying to diagnose it, they decided all they could do was replace the entire reverse module on the handlebar and its wiring harness. A week later, I took possession, and it's never given me a problem since.

Don't know if this helps you at all, but just thought I'd let you know reverse can go bad. Good luck!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses