Spyder Garage

Default Garmin 595LM Installation on F3 Ltd SS

As I have asked many question regarding the Customer Accessory Circuits and how to install a GPS, I thought I would just do it. So, this is how I did the install of a Garmin 595LM (the up to date version of the 590 which is sold by BRP).

I used a handlebar mount, all included with the Garmin except for the long reach RAM Long Double Socket Arm (6"). I mounted the primary attachment using the bolts supplied and attaching it to the base of the left hand Grip/Handlebar clamp. The 6" arm attaches to this, and the Garmin mount for the 595LM, to the top of the arm.

The wiring is the most interesting as I could not identify the middle Customer Accessory Circuit wires until I had removed the left side panel. Then one can see the friction tapped wires hanging down, and once the tape is removed, gosh there they are, a black ground and purple/white hot wire (Hot when engine is running). Here is a photo showing the wire after I placed shrink tubing on the end of the remaining friction tape so as to keep it from unraveling.
    Zumo 595LM Installation_09.11.2016_TFL-2 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

As I wanted additional options should I decide to add more powered stuff, I added to plug in ends to this accessory circuit, as shown:
    Zumo 595LM Installation_09.11.2016_TFL-6 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Look carefully and you will see the purple/white hot wire and all the connections.

So, what does one do with the huge amount of wires from the Garmin mount? I simply folded them up and tucked them away, Zip tying to a part of the roadster. I did not want to cut any of these at this time.
    Zumo 595LM Installation_09.11.2016_TFL-7 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

After all is said and done, the cable from the Garmin mount zip tied in place so as to avoid any chafing when the handlebars are moved, I mounted the Garmin and it actually worked.
    Zumo 595LM Installation_09.11.2016_TFL-8 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Oh, on the handlebar mount some small shaving of the pacers from Garmin was necessary, but no issue for those who do this stuff on a regular basis.

If any questions .... let 'em rip.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Previous Spyder No. 003008

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
    As I have asked many question regarding the Customer Accessory Circuits and how to install a GPS, I thought I would just do it. So, this is how I did the install of a Garmin 595LM (the up to date version of the 590 which is sold by BRP).

I used a handlebar mount, all included with the Garmin except for the long reach RAM Long Double Socket Arm (6"). I mounted the primary attachment using the bolts supplied and attaching it to the base of the left hand Grip/Handlebar clamp. The 6" arm attaches to this, and the Garmin mount for the 595LM, to the top of the arm.

The wiring is the most interesting as I could not identify the middle Customer Accessory Circuit wires until I had removed the left side panel. Then one can see the friction tapped wires hanging down, and once the tape is removed, gosh there they are, a black ground and purple/white hot wire (Hot when engine is running). Here is a photo showing the wire after I placed shrink tubing on the end of the remaining friction tape so as to keep it from unraveling.
    Zumo 595LM Installation_09.11.2016_TFL-2 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

As I wanted additional options should I decide to add more powered stuff, I added to plug in ends to this accessory circuit, as shown:
    Zumo 595LM Installation_09.11.2016_TFL-6 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Look carefully and you will see the purple/white hot wire and all the connections.

So, what does one do with the huge amount of wires from the Garmin mount? I simply folded them up and tucked them away, Zip tying to a part of the roadster. I did not want to cut any of these at this time.
    Zumo 595LM Installation_09.11.2016_TFL-7 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

After all is said and done, the cable from the Garmin mount zip tied in place so as to avoid any chafing when the handlebars are moved, I mounted the Garmin and it actually worked.
    Zumo 595LM Installation_09.11.2016_TFL-8 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Oh, on the handlebar mount some small shaving of the pacers from Garmin was necessary, but no issue for those who do this stuff on a regular basis.

If any questions .... let 'em rip.
    That ram ball mount under the cuff.... I know the part #... But I don't think it comes with spacers?... Or does it? I thought of doing the same thing... I did buy a clutch mount ball instead for now.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Default @WackyDan

The RAM ball mount under the cuff comes with spacers from Garmin. However, these require a small amount of shaving down the diameter (I did a conical shave using a grinder and the spacer on a round shaft) then they will fit nicely into the recess in the cuff. If you look carefully at the spacers, you will see how they are cut down in a conical shape.

Zumo 595LM Installation_II_09.11.2016_TFL-5 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Now, the 6" long arm is something one must purchase from RAM. And, I may change this to a two piece extension so as to be able to rotate the Garmin clockwise and avoid the reflection from my high visibility riding suits... makes seeing the Garmin more difficult in the sunlight.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust

Spyder Garage

I just installed the Garmin Zumo 660LM. I already had the Lamonster F3 Top handlebar clamp. I added Lamonster's GPS swivel mount and moved my phone up to next to the left control with a Lamonster control RAM ball mount. I wired mine down the right side and to the rear auxiliary port under the seat. I plan to install fog lights and heated grips later.

part1[1].jpg
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Very nice job, guess I will make a trip to NC to visit you for installation.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

I believe if you use the designated GPS power supply the power turns on with the key. Just saying...

Spyder Garage

The right, left, and rear auxiliary power supplies are powered when key is on.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    The right, left, and rear auxiliary power supplies are powered when key is on.
    I believe that's a true statement with key on AND engine running.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    I believe if you use the designated GPS power supply the power turns on with the key. Just saying...
    Yes that is correct it is the only one that powers up before motor is running, the other 3 connections only power up after the motor is running.

Spyder Garage

I will most likely rewire this to use the factory GPS power and to have it integrate with radio when i do not want to use Bluetooth.
    Msmoto

Spyder Garage

Can anyone tell me how/where to find the factory GPS wire?
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSpyder View Post
    Can anyone tell me how/where to find the factory GPS wire?
    LH side under the small panel below the seat on the F3-T
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default @No 2817

Nice job!
    Msmoto

Spyder Garage

Hi folks,

Resurrecting this thread, please. I just ordered a Garmin 595L and the F3 swivel mount from Lamonster. Looking at this thread confuses me just a little. The OP attached to the customer accessory circuits via the "hanging" black/purple-white wires. But later in the thread someone asks where the "stock GPS connector is"....are these the same thing, or is there some type of modular connector used for the "stock GPS connector" via the Garmin 590L/595L?

We usually have dealers wire our GPS mobile systems since it usually involves (in the case of Harley Davidson), plugging into an ignition circuit at the fuse location, and Jeff is not interested in going there, simple as it might be. But reading this post, it appears the wires and/or connector are already there, so he thinks he will tackle it himself.

thanks.

Carolyn

Active Member hillbillywhisperer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoxyLady View Post
    Hi folks,

Resurrecting this thread, please. I just ordered a Garmin 595L and the F3 swivel mount from Lamonster. Looking at this thread confuses me just a little. The OP attached to the customer accessory circuits via the "hanging" black/purple-white wires. But later in the thread someone asks where the "stock GPS connector is"....are these the same thing, or is there some type of modular connector used for the "stock GPS connector" via the Garmin 590L/595L?

We usually have dealers wire our GPS mobile systems since it usually involves (in the case of Harley Davidson), plugging into an ignition circuit at the fuse location, and Jeff is not interested in going there, simple as it might be. But reading this post, it appears the wires and/or connector are already there, so he thinks he will tackle it himself.

thanks.

Carolyn

In one of the Lamonster videos, I can't remember which one at this time, he actually point it out. I will see if I can remember which video.Here is my Lamonster swivel mount with the Dual power mounts for my 595.

IMG_6236.jpg