Spyder Garage

Angry Using oil in the 1330 engine?

I have a 2015 RTL and every 600 miles I have to add oil. I have run it then put a white sheet under the bike and it is dry?Tailpipe is dry? Checked coolant and it is not contaminated? My dealer is very good and he says the 1330 uses oil ? Does anybody have any ideas as what else I could check? Our spyder club nobody. has any oil problems.......The orange engine light comes on with picture of the engine and then if I ride a couple of miles and the orange screen comes on it goes it goes into limp mode..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger2 View Post
    I have a 2015 RTL and every 600 miles I have to add oil. I have run it then put a white sheet under the bike and it is dry?Tailpipe is dry? Checked coolant and it is not contaminated? My dealer is very good and he says the 1330 uses oil ? Does anybody have any ideas as what else I could check? Our spyder club nobody. has any oil problems.......The orange engine light comes on with picture of the engine and then if I ride a couple of miles and the orange screen comes on it goes it goes into limp mode..
    I put 17,000 miles on my '14 RT Limited before I sold it. I never added a drop of oil outside of the regular oil changes. On my F3 Limited I have 4500 miles and have yet to add any extra oil.

Are you sure there was enough in it when you took delivery?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need to take it to another dealer, there is something wrong. I have 88,000 on my 14 RT and I have never had to add a drop of oil between changes. I have never heard of anyone else needing to add oil on the 1330. Have you checked for error codes when it goes into Limp Mode?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default No oil usage for me

We have 31,650 miles on our 2014 RT Limited. ZERO oil usage or leaks. Awesome machine.

Our 2012 RT Limited did use oil, but not our 2014 with the 1330 engine.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

About 10000km on my F3. Check oil all the time. Still on the full line.

Call another dealer.

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Just shy of 20000 Km and not a drop used here either!

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Using ol

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You need to take it to another dealer, there is something wrong. I have 88,000 on my 14 RT and I have never had to add a drop of oil between changes. I have never heard of anyone else needing to add oil on the 1330. Have you checked for error codes when it goes into Limp Mode?
    No I'd not check or cod just put about a couple ounce in her and everything goes away thank u

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

No I'd not check or cod just put about a couple ounce in her and everything goes away thank u
    What does this sentence mean ?????? ........also please check spelling ..." cod ? " ......PS if your DEALER ...told you the 1330 burns OIL ..... they are INCOMPETENT .......find another dealer as suggested by others ................... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Find a competent dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got to throw the BS card...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The other thing no one has asked you is do you know the correct way to check the oil on a Spyder? If not, you may be adding oil when it isn't needed.

If you get the error again do not turn off the Spyder until you check for codes. To check codes on an RT hold the Mode, Set and Turn Signal Cancel buttons at the same time with the key on.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

^^ Apart from that, I'd say there's only one other question to ask!! Is your Spyder running the correct spec oil??

Not too many of the 1330's actually use/burn much oil (of the correct spec) & very few have oil leaks either - and they are pretty much the only ways you are going to 'lose' oil out of the motor during use!! So either it's burning it which sorta suggests dud motor or incorrect spec oil; or it's leaking out somewhere at some time.... could it possibly be leaking from the engine somewhere only when the engine is hot??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have not needed to add oil between changes. 4K mi since last oil change and still full. 2014 RT.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Default Oil usage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    ^^ Apart from that, I'd say there's only one other question to ask!! Is your Spyder running the correct spec oil??

Not too many of the 1330's actually use/burn much oil (of the correct spec) & very few have oil leaks either - and they are pretty much the only ways you are going to 'lose' oil out of the motor during use!! So either it's burning it which sorta suggests dud motor or incorrect spec oil; or it's leaking out somewhere at some time.... could it possibly be leaking from the engine somewhere only when the engine is hot??

Using BRP XPS 4 syn blend oil and I Ram on highway for half and hour and took home and put a white sheet un spyder and no oil leaks.Going to shop Thursday

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

If none drips or leaks out and you are measuring correctly then you may be running it into the airbox though it generally will leak out of there if not run through the throttle body. Try not keeping it at the full mark but between the full and the fill lines. If you are going back to the same dealer try to talk to the tech, service writers in many cases are not aware of much....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Using BRP XPS 4 syn blend oil and I Ram on highway for half and hour and took home and put a white sheet un spyder and no oil leaks.Going to shop Thursday
    Good Luck! Please let us know what they find...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

How do you know its low on oil? The orange check engine light does not normally indicate a low oil problem, there is a separate indicator for low oil PRESSURE but none for low level.

If you are adding oil when its not needed, it will burn the excess as its forced into the air box.

If the orange check engine light comes on, there will be a code available before you shut off the engine. While its running, press mode, set and turn signal cancel at the same time and the display will show the current active codes. Report back here and I or one of the others will help you with the codes meaning.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame