Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cargo volume RT vs F3

We currently tour on a 14 RTL and was wondering how the cargo volume compares with a F3 with side bags and rear trunk.

Spyder Garage

Default Bags

Quote Originally Posted by dbaucum View Post
    We currently tour on a 14 RTL and was wondering how the cargo volume compares with a F3 with side bags and rear trunk.
    more rt

Spyder Garage

Default RT

Stay with the RT.
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Without the top trunk: the RT has twice the storage capacity of the f3-T, or f3-L...

155; versus 78 liters...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it....

If considering the storage space the F3 is more a solo spyder...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The 2017 F3-Limited has 36.5 Gals of storage. The RT has 41 Gals. The trunk on the F3-L is 15.5 Gals alone. Most of the 4.5 Gal difference is probably the smaller F3 front trunk.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    The 2017 F3-Limited has 36.5 Gals of storage. The RT has 41 Gals. The trunk on the F3-L is 15.5 Gals alone. Most of the 4.5 Gal difference is probably the smaller F3 front trunk.
    Yes, JP......slightly smaller frunk and side panniers.

So from 2017 the F3 Limited storage is fairly similar, Dbaucum, but you still can't get a ful helmet in the frunk or panniers like you can on the RT. (There are a couple of exceptions for helmets in the frunk on the F3, but it has to be a thin helmet)
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 F3 Limited, I had a 2014 RT Limited. There's no comparison when it comes to storage. My frunk will hold my modular helmet and nothing else. One saddlebag is loaded with my rain gear and travel cover. The other saddlebag holds my GPS, gloves and odds and ends. I can roll a lightweight jacket and put it in there, too. All stuff for me.

If you ride two-up, your passenger will need to carry a backpack for their stuff because there's no room for their belongings.

You should consider a trailer along with having two Spyders... Or keep the RTL.

In my opinion, the F3L is not designed for two-up touring.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's an old saying:
    "You can't just put lipstick on a pig; and expect it to turn into a swan... "
    "But you can still end-up with a very pretty pig!"

LipSticked Pig.jpg

The F3s weren't designed from the ground-up for touring; that doesn't mean that it's impossible!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, JP......slightly smaller frunk and side panniers.

So from 2017 the F3 Limited storage is fairly similar, Dbaucum, but you still can't get a ful helmet in the frunk or panniers like you can on the RT. (There are a couple of exceptions for helmets in the frunk on the F3, but it has to be a thin helmet)

A full size helmet fits fine in the F3 front trunk. I have won more bets at shows with this one. It goes in with the face shield facing up and the base of the helmet against the back wall. I have even dropped a Shark modular in there and those are much larger than a normal full face. My Arai lives in my front trunk with its SENA charger.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There's an old saying:
    "You can't just put lipstick on a pig; and expect it to turn into a swan... "
    "But you can still end-up with a very pretty pig!"

LipSticked Pig.jpg

The F3s weren't designed from the ground-up for touring; that doesn't mean that it's impossible!
    While I agree with you re the F3 not originally being designed for touring from the ground up Bob, the only real differences from 2017 on, from my investigations with the f3 Limited (and I may indeed have missed some) is the electronically adjustable screen (which I had on the Vision and loved), slightly better element protection from the wider panels and slightly more storage. The F3-L really IS a touring machine now, with far more attractive lines than the RT (from my perspective).
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    A full size helmet fits fine in the F3 front trunk. I have won more bets at shows with this one. It goes in with the face shield facing up and the base of the helmet against the back wall. I have even dropped a Shark modular in there and those are much larger than a normal full face. My Arai lives in my front trunk with its SENA charger.
    But JC, you don't ride an F3-T, which the OP was asking about, with its apparently new front trunk......I can get neither my 3/4 Arai, Shoei Neotec nor 3/4 Schuberth in there.......but then they are all XXL.

Update....just did a check with my wife's Medium 3/4 helmet, JC. It does indeed fit, so if you have a helmet whose manufacturer has the same outside shell diameter for their Medium and Large, you will get a large in there as well. Anyone with a HUGE brain though, who needs an XXL, with have to lock it to the bike......which is impossible with a schuberth with the clip in fasteners.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 09-10-2016 at 06:57 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

But JC, you don't ride an F3-T, which the OP was asking about, with its apparently new front trunk......I can get neither my 3/4 Arai, Shoei Neotec nor 3/4 Schuberth in there.......but then they are all XXL.

Update....just did a check with my wife's Medium 3/4 helmet, JC. It does indeed fit, so if you have a helmet whose manufacturer has the same outside shell diameter for their Medium and Large, you will get a large in there as well. Anyone with a HUGE brain though, who needs an XXL, with have to lock it to the bike......which is impossible with a schuberth with the clip in fasteners.

Pete
    I have a Shoei Neotec (large) w/ Sena bluetooth and it fits in my frunk. That's the only thing that goes in there. It's too expensive to secure it outside.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. We even use a trunk rack/bag so the F3 wouldn't work for us.

Spyder Garage

Cool Retraction.....

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I have a Shoei Neotec (large) w/ Sena bluetooth and it fits in my frunk. That's the only thing that goes in there. It's too expensive to secure it outside.
    I take back everything I said about the Neotec XXL not fitting, Copperman. I forgot I put a roll of double sided Velcro in the trunk lid storage pouch. It does indeed fit once that is removed.

HOWEVER......the Arai and Schuberth XXLs still don't fit ! They possibly would if I was prepared to put pressure on the lid, but having read stories about how the lid can be difficult to open if you close it with pressure, I decided on discretion being a better course than valour

The fact that the Shoei XXL will fit, will hasten my thoughts about getting an XXL Shoei J-Wing however, as I would really like to put my GPS inside my helmet and leave them both in the frunk.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. We even use a trunk rack/bag so the F3 wouldn't work for us.
    Hahaha......it's amazing how much room those cosmetics and hair dryers take up, dbaucum.

Good to see you've been able to make a call

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I just recently traded my 2013 RT LTD for a F3T, and I can say that I do miss the storage that the RT had compared to the F3T. I wish I could of kept both, but I just couldn't afford to do that. I do ride solo most of the time, so it's not as much of an issue for me. The problem I have is, I have no place to store my armored riding jacket when stopped at places, so I just wear it or carry it with me. My helmet goes in the frunk, rain gear in one side case and gloves, hat, water bottle and other odds and ends go in the other case. If you're looking for more of a sport ride the F3 is a fun vehicle for sure. If you're a touring type and ride two-up most of the time the RT is the better choice. I do have my RT622 trailer that I can tow for long distance riding or if I need more storage for stuff. I was able to transfer the trailer hitch that I had on my RT to the F3T. I'm just waiting to get the wiring harness that I need for the F3T to hook to the trailer.

Spyder Garage

One other thing to consider is, the rear trunk that BRP has for the F3 limited on the 2017 model, will be offered as an accessory for the other F3T's. It's pricey though! $1.400+

Spyder Garage

Pete

I have an F3S, wife has an F3T. ALL F3 have EXACTLY the same frunk. My Arai full face is a XXL and fits fine, considerable room to spare. Even with the Sena attached. Wife has a Schuberth C3 and it fits fine too, as its actually much smaller than an Arai full face. I admit to not dropping a Shoei Neotec in there unless it was one at a bike show but I have yet to find a helmet that did not fit when placed properly. The shark has to have the modular portion closed for instance. Suppose there may be some that do not fit but the vast majority do.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have an F3S, wife has an F3T. ALL F3 have EXACTLY the same frunk. My Arai full face is a XXL and fits fine, considerable room to spare. Even with the Sena attached. Wife has a Schuberth C3 and it fits fine too, as its actually much smaller than an Arai full face. I admit to not dropping a Shoei Neotec in there unless it was one at a bike show but I have yet to find a helmet that did not fit when placed properly. The shark has to have the modular portion closed for instance. Suppose there may be some that do not fit but the vast majority do.
    My shark modular evoline 3 fits in the f3s frunk with the Scala rider 9 attached, back down head hole to the handle bars on a slight angle closed.
    Also the shark is the only modular legal to ride open or shut in Australia.
    All others are only legal as full face when riding in Australia.
    NSW police had a witch hunt on non compliant helmets a few months back (before the relaxed laws were proposed) and booked a few riders.
    Last edited by bigwhammy; 09-11-2016 at 06:02 PM. Reason: frunk auto corrected to drunk

Spyder Garage

Well there you go. My XXL 3/4 Arai and 3/4 Shuberth definitely don't fit. The Arai is too wide and the Schuberth is too long so you have to flex the frunk lid, which I don't want to do.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Well there you go. My XXL 3/4 Arai and 3/4 Shuberth definitely don't fit. The Arai is too wide and the Schuberth is too long so you have to flex the frunk lid, which I don't want to do.

Pete
    This is my helmet(note the size), this is my helmet in my F3 trunk, and this is my trunk closed with the helmet in and no flexing or even touching the lid!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

And you still have room to spare for chewing gum, Chapstick and a roll of Tums!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    And you still have room to spare for chewing gum, Chapstick and a roll of Tums!

Joe
    I'm definitely not saying the F3 trunk has the room of the Rt (not even close!), but my XXL Schuberth C3 Pro does fit.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    This is my helmet(note the size), this is my helmet in my F3 trunk, and this is my trunk closed with the helmet in and no flexing or even touching the lid!
    I've got the Schuberth M1, Michael, with the integrated SRC system. I can only assume that the SRC system adds some extra length, or the full length visor does. I suppose, when you think about it, the 3/4 visor is straight, while the flip face or full helmets have a shorter visor and a curved chin bar which might account for the difference in making contact with the frunk lid.

I'll do a little measure of base length between my Shoei Neotec (which fits) and the Arai and Schuberth M1 when I get home. It's a pain not being able to get the Schuberth in the frunk, especially when you can't lock it to lid locks because it's got the European clip style strap fastener.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.