Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Very interested in your Ultimate seat!

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    I "think" what I'll do is put the Corbin back on, and send the Comfort Seat to be converted to a DayLong as you suggest.

So, I hate to say this, but I have a lightly used Ultimate Tall Boy for sale!
    *****I'd be very interested in the Ultimate seat, how much would you sell it to me for?? I have a 2013 RT-L, hopefully it should fit. My OEM seat is chocolate w/only 1,400 miles but I prefer a black seat w/my pearl white body. I'm only 5'11 & 175lbs but this Ultimate seat sounds like a fit for me.
    Please LMK as I was about to buy a black OEM.
    You can call or pm me.
    Thanks
    Clint in Palm Springs, CA
    BTW, excellent write up on seat comparison.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    After reading all of the post on this subject maybe I can decide witch way to go. See I am 6ft 6inches tall. I have a 15 RTs special. I also just recovered from back surgery. the BRP to soft seat is killing my back side and with out a back rest I was really thinking of selling the RT at that time. After attending Spyder quest I was able to get a BRP backrest and it helped a lot .The seat is still to soft. should I just replace the foam .Wife rides with me and if I move the seat back any more she losses room. so are any of you guys this tall and do you ride two up some time.. thanks..please continue this discussion as it has helped me focus with out spending tons of funds on seats and wasted time..
    I hear what you are saying regarding the softness of the BRP seat, but it is a small thing for me when I need the room for my legs. You are just a couple of inches taller than me (I'm closer to 6'4"), and I would suggest keeping the BRP Comfort and adding a firmer pad, or going the Day Long route.

When you are thinking about the other seats, think about this picture. I sat on the seats and measured from the edge of the seat to me to demonstrate the room I had. I'm not a heavy set person, but probably proportional for my height. 7 inches from the edge to me is "Trump Huuge" in the comfort arena for me. I was dying with my legs jammed up with the Ultimate Tall Boy.
    Actual Seating postion.jpg
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikerbiker645 View Post
    Great seat comparison's, but I wish you would have also tried a Russell Day Long so we could have seen that comparison .......... I know, you already have a ton invested, anyway, great job and good luck selling your others! safe riding!
    And - I'm still waiting for someone to review the Mustang.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

My opinion on BRP Comfort Seat:

It's kind of plain Jane on the Spyder, but it looks OK. The material is soft "pleather" and stretches easily. There is a lot of soft padding. It is by far the softest of the three seats.

Softness is NOT good for really long rides, however, I've done it many times in the 9000 miles on it. But, once your butt starts to ache on those long rides, you can never get comfortable with the lack of support, or pressure from every location.

The softness does have one huge advantage over the other two: the back rim of the drivers seat is formed, but it is soft and giving. The other two are very rigid on do not allow you to push into it. On longer rides, I could sit on top of the back rim a bit to give myself more room and a different position for a moment. Call it riding in the "back seat!"

It doesn't have a gas door. I don't find this to be a big deal at all. I think it was annoying actually. I didn't like how gas would drip on the material as you pull the gas nozzle out. Lifting the seat is not that big of a deal, unless your partner doesn't want to get off.

Because it isn't that higher quality touch on the Spyder, I'm not that worried that it gets scuffed or rained on.

It is the most functional seat of the three in my opinion.
    Although I haven't had the opportunity to try all three. I did try an Ultimate Tall Boy at a Spyder event and came to the same conclusion you did. The BRP Comfort seat definitely has the best amount of leg room and butt room (front to back).

To resolve the soft foam issue in the Comfort seat, what I did was install one of Motorcycle Dave's medical grade gel inserts. Details here. As you can see in the picture below, the thing is huge and covers most of the entire butt area of the seat. The gel inset has also made a big difference in the feel. It is not as soft as the foam, but it does feel soft while offering better support. It has made a huge improvement in my comfort seat. I also added a Utopia backrest to match the rest of the seat, which I really enjoy.

If I could afford it, I'd get a Russel Custom seat, but I'm pretty happy with what I ended up with, and it cost far less than replacing the seat.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Since we are talking about seats, I need to ask a question. I am 6'2" 240pds. I have the original OEM seat and the BRP backrest that folds down. If I buy the comfort seat can I still use the BRP backrest I have or would I need to buy another one? Is there a conversion kit? $450 was a lot to pay for a backrest.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I like my Mustang seat. That being said I also wanted a good seat and settled on the Mustang that was on my rtss for show on the showroom floor. I too was going to settle for a comfort seat but my seat was thrown in the deal.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Backrests:

I didn't buy the BRP Backrest for the Comfort seat, so I have no thoughts on it.

The Corbin back rest is thinner, and probably accommodates a second rider better that the Ultimate, but it wasn't that comfortable for me. I found the Ultimate backrest exactly what I would want. It was soft, but supporting at the small of my back.

The Ultimate was more solid with its flat bar configuration. The Corbin has more of a rectangular rod that keeps it in place. It has a lot more lateral movement than the Ultimate configuration.
    Is that backrest for the driver?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That a lot of money...glad u were able to do that...2014 rts....my seat is falling apart...rips on front most tongue. ..filler were bac rest would go is falling out. And my butt gets so warm it hurts. Bought air hawk...that sucked. ..like riding on a water bed...works great i bought black wool hide (sheep skin) Australian something thick sheep....work best. ..should have list to old bikers first....lol...grt fix

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How much for the seat that had the high back

Spyder Garage

Mustang is supposed to be here at Thunder Beach next month. If they have a seat for an RT I will take some pics. I'd like to try it before I buy it. I had an Ultimate Seat on my 13RT but it went with the bike when I sold it.

From what I saw on Mustang's website it was close in size to the Ultimate standard seat.

The Ultimate was a great improvement over the stock seat on the 13. The 15RT seat was better than the stock seat on the 13RT for sure.

These are the measurements from Mustang's Website.

Front Width: 16.5"

Rear Width 17.5"

Weight: 25 lbs
    Last edited by DJFaninTN; 09-12-2016 at 11:41 PM.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Excellent review on seats! Great job...

BRP Comfort seat here for 24K miles. Worked perfect for me for leg room. I am 6'4".
    But my rear end would get really sore on long rides.
    For me the Air Hawk R resolved that issue.
    Still would have some knee issues on long rides so I added Lamonster highway pegs.
    Shoulders were then the problem after that, so I added the Tri-axis handlebars.

A little Vblog about my experiences.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 09-14-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting discussion on comfort, Bob. As I outlined in the post above, I've stumbled upon all of the "fixes" you came up with and for the same reasons - except for the tri-axis handlebars. Fortunately, the OEM bars have always seemed just right for me.

One additional piece that I added, that you might like to try, is replacing the Airhawk cushion with one of Motorcycle Dave's gel seat.inserts. The Airhawk was a big improvement for me but I just got tired of dealing with an extra cushion everywhere I went. (Plus, In my case, the black cushion didn't match my tan seat.) After I inserted The gel pad, I was pleased to discover that I actually found it even more comfortable than the Airhawk. . I never use the cushion at all anymore.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-14-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tallboy isn't just for tall men

I have extreme stiffness in my hip and knee joints, and the way the Spyder flares out in front of the seat is an issue for me. I bought the Ultimate Tallboy to push me back a bit and it helped immensely. I'm 5'10" and on the tallboy the handlebars and controls are in easy reach.

This week I rode a friends Spyder home from the shop. He had the standard Ultimate seat and I was amazed at how much I missed that 1 & 1/2" of space. Fortunately my wife is tiny, so taking the space away from her didn't bother her at all. Also, I got the Ultimate backrest for the back seat which is a little thinner, granting her some of the space back.

This thread has been the most thorough review of competing seats I've seen. Since RDLs are custom it may be hard to compare them. I'd like Mustang to be thrown into the mix, but I'm sure they don't yet have a version of the tallboy.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TheCajun1957 View Post
    Since we are talking about seats, I need to ask a question. I am 6'2" 240pds. I have the original OEM seat and the BRP backrest that folds down. If I buy the comfort seat can I still use the BRP backrest I have or would I need to buy another one? Is there a conversion kit? $450 was a lot to pay for a backrest.
    I do not think they are compatible. I only think this because there is a specific backrest for the Comfort seat. Now, I have no clue if they are compatible, but guess they are not because they are two different products.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BnG View Post
    Is that backrest for the driver?

Yes, backrest for the driver. It shows them in the pictures.

I think the Ultimate rider backrest is a lot better than the Corbin for two main reasons:
    1. The ultimate backrest is fixed with a big flat piece of metal. The Corbin is fixed with a square rod. This makes the Ultimate feel a lot more stable
    2. The shape: The ultimate fits right at the middle of the small of your back. The Corbin has an ovoid shape that goes over your back area. I guess it would be OK if it were completely solid, but it has play because of the rod inserted into the main seat.

2015 RT Limited , black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Does that back rest impede your ability to operate the bike in a safe manner in any way?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BnG View Post
    Does that back rest impede your ability to operate the bike in a safe manner in any way?

I test rode the seats with backrests and didn't feel like it was impeding any ability to ride safely.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I cannot think of any way that a driver backrest would impede safety. Do you have a specific concern?
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No I just converted to a trike. I have the fell since I had a "sled" in Vermont. But it was 2 up no backrest except for my wife. So I want to get the full feel. I
    When I drive 2 or 3 wheels, I get 1 with my bike. So I like to feel whay is going on. Eventually, I turn on the radio and cruise. That's just me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm the guy who drives for 3 or 4 miles and listens to everything. Engine, wheels, any squeaks....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Honesty though I love the Canam. 86 miles and I got someone else hooked on the spyder.

Spyder Garage

I appreciate all of the private messages regarding the seat comparisons. Yes, it was a pricey way of finding out up front, I knew it wouldn't be too difficult to resell "as new" seats. So, it isn't that pricey, other than time and probably a few hundred bucks.

With that said, I've decided to convert my BRP Comfort to a Russell Day Long. I'll review that process and what it turns out to be.

I'm not too worried about ruining it because I can keep my front-to-back position, and they offer adjustments for fit afterwards.

So... I'll sell my seats after that.. Probably a couple of months from now....

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I'm looking forward to your report on the new RDL seat when you've had a few miles on it. I know it will be an extensive and unbiased report.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How much for tall boy

Spyder Garage

I "think" what I'll do is put the Corbin back on, and send the Comfort Seat to be converted to a DayLong as you suggest.

So, I hate to say this, but I have a lightly used Ultimate Tall Boy for sale!

Hi
    do do you still have the Ultinate Tall Boy for sale?
    color...style...backrest
    Thanks

Bob S