Thread: Screen reboot

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Screen reboot

I picked up a new 2016 RTS on 8/27. I put 400 miles on it the first weekend. Will put it over 1k by the end of this weekend. As I was riding today, about 7 hours, my screen went blank, then booted back up again, complete with the Can Am logo you see when you start it up. This happened at least 3 times while I was riding. I looked down to check my speed, and watched it reboot. It was pretty hot today, and I noticed it more after we had been sitting in traffic a few minutes prior. Could it have gotten too hot? Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a warranty issue? Thanks in advance for chiming in. I appreciate your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

on your new . For now, I would say maybe due to heat issues OR loose battery connections. If the problem persists, it should be checked over by a dealer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Definitely a warranty issue, and you should take it in for them to fix.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

If the sun is beating down on the screen it may fade away to a blank screen then come back with cooling or shade but the machine continues to function properly. I often pull the safety card to cover on the RS. If that is not the cause then you may have a faulty instrument cluster...congrats on the new ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it was the heat: the screen wouldn't go back to "Re-boot"...
    This is probably just a loose wire, and your Dealer should be notified A.S.A.P.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

​US is a poor description of where you live unless your running from the Law or IRS. Some times posters can give advice depending on where you live such as dealer locations, parts or any other information needed. Just my opinion and trying to be helpful.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery wires

I had the same problem in my 2014 STS. Tightened the battery cables and it hasn't happened since.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    ​US is a poor description of where you live unless your running from the Law or IRS. Some times posters can give advice depending on where you live such as dealer locations, parts or any other information needed. Just my opinion and trying to be helpful.

Jack
    Between Griffin and Douglasville, GA is where it occurred. Between 4:00 and 6:30 PM. Stuck in traffic a bit. Temps in the 90's. Real feel was 100. I was facing the sun, so it wasn't hitting the screen. Will definitely check battery cables, and if that's not it, then back to a dealer. Thanks again everyone.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Was it your instrument panel or the GPS screen (both boot up with a Can-Am logo).

If it's the GPS you can clean the contacts gently with a pencil eraser or electrical connection cleaner.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Screen reboot

I had the same thing happen Saturday. It was really hot. Rebooted twice on me. Gonna watch and see what happens. I have 2016 RTS with 5500 miles now. I also have had the cruise control kick off. Once with the engine light coming on. Hoping these are just anomalies and don't recur...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Doc Riverside came to the rescue again. Doc was doing some electrical work for me and discovered the battery wasn't secure nor were the terminals tight, amongst other things that weren't done properly by the dealer. I highly doubt I'll have that problem again. Thanks Doc for putting up with me and ALL the work you do on my Spyder! I sure am glad you're close!

Spyder Garage

Default Terminals

Remove and clean the connections on the battery terminals. Reinstall tightly. 90% of the time it is something simple. If that's not it, take it to the dealer.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Like others have said, it is most likely your battery connection.

Happened to me yesterday, and sure enough, the positive terminal connection was just loose enough. Tightened it down and resolved.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black