Spyder Garage

Default How far should I trust a rear tire?

Had my RT-s serviced last Tuesday. Rear tire is right down to the wear bars, only 6500 miles. My shop only sells stock Kendas so I passed. Got to get something better, so I called Netzley Tires in Accord New York ( 3 hrs away) to get an estimate. Talked to a real nice lady. She informed me that they were at Spyder Quest this week end so hopefully I can get something set up for next week. Gonna get sway bar, bump skid and Laser alinement while I am there. Question is how far should I trust that rear tire for riding local and traveling there? Am I good for another 500 miles? 1000 miles? What do you think?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll be fine, and the Netzleys will treat you even finer!
    My only concern... With the tread that thin: be careful of getting into any conditions that might cause your bike to hydroplane.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default What Bob said.. probably fine

My 15 base RT just rolled 13000 with the OEM Kenda. Check the sidewall tread for the little triangles that indicate where the "real" wear bars are located. The other bars are water bars and part of the tread; still be aware that hydroplaning may be an issue if it gets wet.

My center is pretty worn, but getting out this weekend while its nice, and plan on changing out the Kenda for a Kumho next week. Your bike, your ride, your choice.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes, my 2015 RTL 6200 miles replaced front tires already, and the rear tire is getting really wore pretty smooth.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nesdspyder View Post
    Yes, my 2015 RTL 6200 miles replaced front tires already, and the rear tire is getting really wore pretty smooth.
    You may have already had this taken care of, but you probably need to have your wheels aligned if the fronts have already been replaced. I haven't heard of too many front tires going bad that quickly.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

But do make sure your at the wear bar. I would think your fine till then being careful. The lower the tread the more the tire spins out so limit the quick pullouts...when it looks like this...20160324_085157.jpg 19,000 miles it's time. Still went a bit more but rain is not an issue here....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But do make sure your at the wear bar. I would think your fine till then being careful. The lower the tread the more the tire spins out so limit the quick pullouts...when it looks like this...20160324_085157.jpg 19,000 miles it's time. Still went a bit more but rain is not an issue here....
    holy slick spot ! bat man ... a relative , with the same spyder I have , just changed his ... { with this photo of your tire , he must have had a brand new one hahha } I think that double line in middle is where the extra rubber is in center , during manufacturing ... the relative talked too a spyder owner also cycle shop owner , has replaced 2 tires on his spyder , for get what year he was too have had , he was thinking maybe low tire pressure , over tire pressure , but , seems too think the reason for center tire wear is the fact the center is where the meat of the rubber is , { centrifugal spin I suppose , as tire spins it get taller ,and thus , wear on the center ! look at dragster race videos , the rear wheel stands tall in the take off , and evens out as the forces catch up with the roll ... my theory here }

Spyder Garage

Default Ditto What Bob D said

I have a Kumho (17k miles) that needs replacing so I'm having a Yokohama S-Drive installed Monday 9/12. Normally I average about 6K miles a season I had the Kumho 3 seasons as you can see I got my monies worth. I opted to go with the Yokohama this time cause it was easier to get and is reported to offer better wet traction. We will soon find out!

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Like others have said be careful with weather conditions... I've done it in a car but was very nervous.. I see the brands ppl suggest here.. Doesn't Goodyear or Pirelli make a tires that would fit?
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

Just don't get down to the air inside.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    You may have already had this taken care of, but you probably need to have your wheels aligned if the fronts have already been replaced. I haven't heard of too many front tires going bad that quickly.
    I have a 2013 STS with 13,000 miles on it. The front tires look fine. The rear was changed at 11,500. Check tire pressure regularly. It seems that 6,500 is extremely low miles to have to change the front tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    Just don't get down to the air inside.
    hahahaha now that is funny !

Spyder Garage

Question only you can really answer......whats your comfort level on things? Are you a gambler? Or are you a play it safe type of person? Good Luck whatever you choose to do. safe riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jheck View Post
    Had my RT-s serviced last Tuesday. Rear tire is right down to the wear bars, only 6500 miles. My shop only sells stock Kendas so I passed. Got to get something better, so I called Netzley Tires in Accord New York ( 3 hrs away) to get an estimate. Talked to a real nice lady. She informed me that they were at Spyder Quest this week end so hopefully I can get something set up for next week. Gonna get sway bar, bump skid and Laser alinement while I am there. Question is how far should I trust that rear tire for riding local and traveling there? Am I good for another 500 miles? 1000 miles? What do you think?
    If I am unsure of a tire, I change it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got 12k out of my rear tire....just bought new at tirerack.com...better tire stock...1300 lb rate over 800 stock...same amount of belts....51lb air...easier on rim...90.00 delivered. ...3 days

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Replacing tires at the Wear Bar is TOO LATE

If you ride your Spyder in a rainy (or snowy) climate, running your tires to the wear-bar is too late. So says Consumer Reports after running a series of hydroplaning tire tests. The typical new tire has 10/32 of tread with wear-bars at 2/32. CR recommends going no lower than 4/32 if you drive (ride) in a wet climate. Here's the article summary if you want the details. http://tinyurl.com/mbzva8z
    2019 Phoenix Orange RT Limited, 590 GPS and KradleLock, Prius GPS sun hood, Soft travel bags, LidLocks helmet lock, Freedom Trailer and BRP Hitch, UltraGuard 1/2 Cover.

Spyder Garage

Default Wow... amazed at your mileage on the Kenda at 19,000

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Like you, we have very little rain here, and my rear RT tire was like this about a thousand miles ago, just now getting down to the wear bars as indicated by the side tread triangles. I have the Kumho ready, but Kenda must have the new compound about right, as my 2015 tire, has 14,000 miles on it, albeit wearing smooth in the middle.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MAybe 2k more ..

Spyder Garage

I replaced my rear tire last week at 7,839 miles. I could have went a little more, but I don't like to run them bald.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

It depends, is it a Republican or a Democrat? Wait...it doesn't matter, don't trust it.
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you get it changed yet?
    By the way: You're not too far from my Dealer: Klinger PowerSports, In Walton. If you bring them a tire: they'll mount it!

Spyder Garage

Good Lord!
    Its your Life!
    Never let tires get that thin--'
    Sorry to be crass but thats dangerous

I love R&R put another dime in the jukebox baby!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did you get it changed yet?
    By the way: You're not too far from my Dealer: Klinger PowerSports, In Walton. If you bring them a tire: they'll mount it!
    Got it done last night Bob. Yokohama S Drive. We'll see how that does. Got the sway bar and lazier alinement done also. 129 mile test drive home up rt 28, and all I got to say about that is, Oh Man! What a difference! Money well spent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage