Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fobo

Spyder Garage

Default Fobo

I am setting up the FOBO and the correct tire pressure for a Spyder RT limited with stock tires
    My Spyder is a 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BAJARON SWAY BAR PLUS LINKS
    BAJARON SPACER
    ULTIMATE SEAT WITH GAS DOOR
    JT SHELF BAR
    SPYDERFLAP
    BUMPSKID
    XM RADIO
    POWER OUTLET
    LAMONSTER CUP HOLDER
    2015 RT LIMITED
    PIN STRIPPING BY MACK THE KNIFE
    RIVCO FLAG HOLDER
    SENA SM10 BLUE TOOTH
    LAMONSTER FBB HIGHWAY BRACKET WING BOARD BLK
    BPR TRAILER HITCH
    KRADELLOCK FOR THE GPS
    BIG BRAKE PEDAL BY TRICLED

Spyder Garage

If you're asking what is the recomended pressure on the factory tires.....

20 PSI in the fronts, and 28 in the rear.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

As you should know these are not very accurate. Altitude and temperature have a big effect on them.

I have four units that came standard with them.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one...

All tire pressures you see and will get here are suggestions and good for those recommending them. You and you alone should find the best pressure for your ryde. There are so many factors that play into getting the best one. Start with the factory recommended pressure (not the one on car tires) and adjust from there. They are cute gagets and make many feel good but are just gas gauges for your tires. Unless they have a compressor attached to adjust the pressure you do the same checking your pressure before your rydes and at altitude/weather changes, if prolonged. jmo one more thing that can keep your eyes off the road and can fail and cause problems....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    All tire pressures you see and will get here are suggestions and good for those recommending them. You and you alone should find the best pressure for your ryde. There are so many factors that play into getting the best one. Start with the factory recommended pressure (not the one on car tires) and adjust from there. They are cute gagets and make many feel good but are just gas gauges for your tires. Unless they have a compressor attached to adjust the pressure you do the same checking your pressure before your rydes and at altitude/weather changes, if prolonged. jmo one more thing that can keep your eyes off the road and can fail and cause problems....
    Gene, I have to disagree. First there is no reason to take your eyes off the road with a FOBO, if you had a sudden loss of tire pressure and you are looking at your phone or have audio from your phone you would get a warning tone. That could save you problems if you get off the road before you lose all the pressure. Also, I check tire pressure on every Spyder that we align, and we have done somewhere around 800, the number of Spyders that have incorrect tire pressure is staggering. It isn't unusual for me to find tires that are 5 or more pounds low - even in the front. Let 5# out of your front tires and it will handle like a semi truck. So many riders fail to check tire pressure before each ride but if they had FOBO they only need to open the phone app.

I'm sitting on the couch and I know that my tires are slightly low but not low enough that I need to get on the ground and add air. Pushing a few buttons on the phone sure is a lot easier than getting down on the ground.

Also, J48, tire pressure along with a ton of other useful information can be found in your Owner's Manual.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

All tire pressures you see and will get here are suggestions and good for those recommending them. You and you alone should find the best pressure for your ryde. There are so many factors that play into getting the best one. Start with the factory recommended pressure (not the one on car tires) and adjust from there
    Absolutely agree!

...They are cute gadgets and make many feel good but are just gas gauges for your tires. Unless they have a compressor attached to adjust the pressure you do the same checking your pressure before your rydes and at altitude/weather changes, if prolonged. jmo one more thing that can keep your eyes off the road and can fail and cause problems....
    Absolutely disagree!
    Like Ann says, the FOBO is SO much easier than crawling around on the ground to check your pressures. For me, it's literally the difference between checking pressures and NOT checking pressures before each ride. And they are very accurate, do not leak, easy to change the batteries when necessary, and I never have to look at it after the beginning of each ride. If it needs to communicate with me about a pending problem, it will alert me with a tone to my headset (via my phone).

Don't mean to be in "Soap Box Mode" here. It's just that I consider the FOBO TPMS to be one of the best farkles on the bike. Makes riding SO much more enjoyable to not have to wonder about tire pressure - especially when that rear tire is so dang-awful hard to check on an RT.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-08-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Gene, I have to join Ann and Rob in disagreeing with you. A smart and safe rider always knows what the air pressure is prior to a ride. So how do we do it? We crawl around the garage floor on our hands and knees with a gauge checking each tire. The FOBO system is a life saver! Now I can just look on my phone while sipping my morning coffee and know if I need to air them up before departing. If I'm on a trip somewhere and get an alert, I can simply pull into a gas station or tire shop and air up.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Absolutely agree!

Absolutely disagree!
    Like Ann says, the FOBO is SO much easier than crawling around on the ground to check your pressures. For me, it's literally the difference between checking pressures and NOT checking pressures before each ride. And they are very accurate, do not leak, easy to change the batteries when necessary, and I never have to look at it after the beginning of each ride. If it needs to communicate with me about a pending problem, it will do so via a tone to my headset (via my phone).

Don't mean to be in "Soap Box Mode" here. It's just that I consider the FOBO TMPS to be one of the best farkles on the bike. Makes riding SO much more enjoyable to not have to wonder about tire pressure - especially when that rear tire is so dang-awful hard to check on an RT.

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Gene, I have to disagree. First there is no reason to take your eyes off the road with a FOBO, if you had a sudden loss of tire pressure and you are looking at your phone or have audio from your phone you would get a warning tone. That could save you problems if you get off the road before you lose all the pressure. Also, I check tire pressure on every Spyder that we align, and we have done somewhere around 800, the number of Spyders that have incorrect tire pressure is staggering. It isn't unusual for me to find tires that are 5 or more pounds low - even in the front. Let 5# out of your front tires and it will handle like a semi truck. So many riders fail to check tire pressure before each ride but if they had FOBO they only need to open the phone app.

I'm sitting on the couch and I know that my tires are slightly low but not low enough that I need to get on the ground and add air. Pushing a few buttons on the phone sure is a lot easier than getting down on the ground.

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chupaca, I still love you!
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While we were at Spyderfest I was speaking to the head BRP Spyder tech, the new Dany Davey, we were telling him what a pain in the butt it is to check the rear tire pressure and how many Spyders we find that have low pressure. We asked him if there were any plans to move the rear valve stem and he said that there weren't but there are plans to add tire pressure monitoring at the factory.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    Gene, I have to join Ann and Rob in disagreeing with you. A smart and safe rider always knows what the air pressure is prior to a ride. So how do we do it? We crawl around the garage floor on our hands and knees with a gauge checking each tire. The FOBO system is a life saver! Now I can just look on my phone while sipping my morning coffee and know if I need to air them up before departing. If I'm on a trip somewhere and get an alert, I can simply pull into a gas station or tire shop and air up.

Pam
    Yes plu when I come out of the diner and someone says looks like your tire is low just clck and see nope good to go.
    Plus lots of times before going on a ride I would forget to check, so the piece of mind is well worthnthe cost. Might be best safety farkle you can buy.

Spyder Garage

I bought and installed Fobo on my RT-S, but I didn't really think of it as a farkle, just common sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What's a Good FOBO Product?

What's a good product? I used to use tire valve caps that read green if it was the assigned PSI and red if it was low. Until I had one that read "green" for a totally flat tire.

~Sandee~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimboregon View Post
    I bought and installed Fobo on my RT-S, but I didn't really think of it as a farkle, just common sense.

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    What's a good product? I used to use tire valve caps that read green if it was the assigned PSI and red if it was low. Until I had one that read "green" for a totally flat tire.

~Sandee~
    Those are what I always used on my Honda ST. I've had no issues with the Fobo product.

Spyder Garage

With all this said--just remember getting up and down on the garage floor may be the only exercise some on here get. And your gonna take that away?

​Jack

BTW my BMW M/C has factory FOBO and it is always at least 5-7 pounds off. Only time it is correct and remains true is on a standard day. (59* and same altitude as when I filled the tires) After checking your FOBO Check with a gauge and you will see the difference. This is only for those nit-pickers. You know who your are. Always running around asking tire, oil and PSI questions!
    Last edited by jaherbst; 09-08-2016 at 11:58 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

With all this said--just remember getting up and down on the garage floor may be the only exercise some on here get. And your gonna take that away?

​Jack
    Hahaha Jack..........yep, and by the time I make it to the floor, find the valve is inaccessible, get back up, move the Spyder forward, get back down, check the pressure and get back up again, ride day is usually over. If I then find it's low, and have to break out the pump, the whole bloody weekend has gone !

Long Live Fobo.
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Also if you have an Apple Watch you can check your FOBO app on it and get alerts,no finding or getting out your phone
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

BTW my BMW M/C has factory FOBO and it is always at least 5-7 pounds off. Only time it is correct and remains true is on a standard day. (59* and same altitude as when I filled the tires) After checking your FOBO Check with a gauge and you will see the difference. This is only for those nit-pickers. You know who your are. Always running around asking tire, oil and PSI questions! [/SIZE][/QUOTE

The question is, which is misreading? Your gauge,or the Fobo reading???

Last edited by Jimboregon; 09-09-2016 at 02:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

My only small gripe with the FOBO system is the sensors are not all calibrated the same. They can be off by several psi.

I can set my two fronts at exactly 19psi each using a highly accurate gauge. I don't have a problem with the FOBO being a psi off, the trouble is the right reads 18.2 and the left reads 20 when I KNOW and verify they are the same. If I temporarily swap left and right sensors, the high reading follows the sensor. We own 7 sensors. 3 on my bike and 4 on Louise. I have tested them all against a common source and they range over 2psi between them. They really should all be calibrated equally. Or at least provide the calibration setting in the software.

Lesson here is do NOT use them to adjust tire pressures in the front to obtain even pressures. Simply will not work. They are only useful to let you know when pressures are changing, not the actual pressure.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboregon View Post
    BTW my BMW M/C has factory FOBO and it is always at least 5-7 pounds off. Only time it is correct and remains true is on a standard day. (59* and same altitude as when I filled the tires) After checking your FOBO Check with a gauge and you will see the difference. This is only for those nit-pickers. You know who your are. Always running around asking tire, oil and PSI questions! [/SIZE][/QUOTE

The question is, which is misreading? Your gauge,or the Fobo reading???

Well it is certainly not the gage as it does not change with temp and altitude as does the air inside the tire. As JCThorne pointed out the FOBO

themselves give different readings and are not accurate using different FOBOS on the same tire. They would be useful for an extremely low

pressure and give you a pressure warning. Thats how three of my cars work and my BMW motorcycle. On start up in the morning and almost every

morning you will get a different reading. Then again after driving or riding you will get yet another reading.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    My only small gripe with the FOBO system is the sensors are not all calibrated the same. They can be off by several psi.

I can set my two fronts at exactly 19psi each using a highly accurate gauge. I don't have a problem with the FOBO being a psi off, the trouble is the right reads 18.2 and the left reads 20 when I KNOW and verify they are the same. If I temporarily swap left and right sensors, the high reading follows the sensor. We own 7 sensors. 3 on my bike and 4 on Louise. I have tested them all against a common source and they range over 2psi between them. They really should all be calibrated equally. Or at least provide the calibration setting in the software.

Lesson here is do NOT use them to adjust tire pressures in the front to obtain even pressures. Simply will not work. They are only useful to let you know when pressures are changing, not the actual pressure.
    Makes me wonder if there is now possibly some quality control issue. As you know I was one of the first to get this setup and my sensors are highly accurate and totally match! I can move them around and they all read the same pressure on the same tire within about .2 PSI.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Makes me wonder if there is now possibly some quality control issue. As you know I was one of the first to get this setup and my sensors are highly accurate and totally match! I can move them around and they all read the same pressure on the same tire within about .2 PSI.

Bob
    Among the 7 I have, they are not even grouped tightly together with a couple outliers. They are spread over a 2.2psi range and no two are the same. Not even close. Its either a QC problem or they are just not bothering to calibrate them at the factory. If they would at least provide the ability to calibrate in the software, I could work around it. As it is, the numbers are meaningless, its just an indication of 'yea you got air' or 'nope you better fill them'

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post

Bob
    That is my experience as well. My three sensors are all spot on with my digital tire gage. FWIW, I got mine right after you did, Bob. It was your initial review that made me want to get the system.

What I have noticed, though, is that the sun shining directly on a tire can make a difference as high as 5% (or about 1 full psi) while the Spyder is parked. I often start out with the FOBO reading .4-.8 psi difference on the front tires, with the tire that is shaded by the bike always the lower reading. But by the time the tires heat up from road friction, the FOBO tells me they are exactly equal.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Well I reached out to FOBO to see if they have any ideas on how to calibrate these sensors. I'll follow up if anything comes of it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame