Spyder Garage

Default Replacing Battery

It looks like I accidentally drained my battery, and charging it using an external charger isn't working very well.

I'm going to try a jump with my car and see if the alternator fully charges it, but if I've damaged the battery I'm wondering if I need a Spyder mechanic to replace it, or if I can just take it to a local shop and have the work done. I've got a 2014 RT-S, so the battery is easily accessed from the frunk.

I've got a two week trip ahead of me, so I'd rather spend a few more dollars and be safe instead of sorry.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Also, is this something I can do myself? I looked on YouTube for a video, but there isn't anything on the 2014's forward (probably because the battery is very accessible).

Thoughts on what battery to buy, or what specs to look for are also appreciated. I'd rather spend more and get a better battery.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Spyder Garage

Default No problem...

Your one of the lucky ones in that they moved the battery to a much more accessable place on yours. I would think you do not have to replace your battery but need to charge it with a charger and not a maintainer which will not charge it. Jumping it will get you started and a nice long ryde will charge it up but don't shut her down unless you have a mimi jump battery or a plug in volt meter to see where the battery is at.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Most modern battery chargers will not charge a battery that is less than 10V. That maybe why it won't charge. Put booster cables on it along with the charger for a couple minutes. That should get things going. Set the charger to motorcycle mode or max 2 amps whatever option you have. Let it charge for a day. It will likely be fine. But if you're unsure. Take it out and take it to a place that sell batteries. They should load test it for free. But it has to be charged first. If it fails the load test get a new one and put that in. If it barely passes, normally 10V min is a pass, but if it's only 10.2 or 10.3 get a new one.
    Last edited by billybovine; 09-08-2016 at 01:35 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If it were me, I would just call up Berts Mega Mall and see if they have the original replacement in stock. I replaced mine after 4+ years and the new one is working great after 2+. I have a battery tender hooked up to mine, that the dealership hooked up so it is easy to plug in under seat on my 2010RT

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Spyder Garage

I jumped it with a car, drove about 40 mins, and it started ok afterward. I've got it charging now and expect that the maintainer should top it off and that it will still hold a good charge.

I'll check to make sure we're getting over 10.3 volts after 24 hours off (and replace it if we aren't).

Thank you to everybody for your help!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I jumped it with a car, drove about 40 mins, and it started ok afterward. I've got it charging now and expect that the maintainer should top it off and that it will still hold a good charge.

I'll check to make sure we're getting over 10.3 volts after 24 hours off (and replace it if we aren't).

Thank you to everybody for your help!
    Just to be clear. A minimum of 10.3v during load test of 150 amp draw for 10 seconds. A static voltage test after the battery has had time to rest should be 12.6V or higher.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Just to be clear. A minimum of 10.3v during load test of 150 amp draw for 10 seconds. A static voltage test after the battery has had time to rest should be 12.6V or higher.
    Thank you - I'm sure my local car mechanic will understand that.

Spyder Garage

If you are going on your trip without making sure your battery is 100% you may want to at least look into getting a Micro Start Anti Gravity Battery or something similar for jump starting your battery. They are very small and can fit anywhere.

2015 RT Limited Black Matallic
    BAJARon Sway Bar w/Billet Aluminum Heim Joint Link Set
    SPYDERPOPS Bumperskid with LED's
    SPYDERPOPS RT BRT Rear Lighting Kit
    US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Thank you - I'm sure my local car mechanic will understand that.
    I found that I owned a battery tester and it gave me about 12.35 - 12.45 volts over about 15 seconds after it has been resting a while. The test repeated a few minutes later with the same results. This was in the "Battery Load Test" mode at 12 volts.

The bike starts up just fine.

Thoughts?

CORRECTION: 12.45 Volts with a fair amount of consistency - I forgot there was a small device plugged in to the battery. This test was done with the battery on the Spyder, and the Spyder completely off.
    Last edited by MRH; 09-09-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    If you are going on your trip without making sure your battery is 100% you may want to at least look into getting a Micro Start Anti Gravity Battery or something similar for jump starting your battery. They are very small and can fit anywhere.
    I have no idea which one to select. Smaller is better for the trip, and less expensive is always a plus.

Spyder Garage

The Micro-Start Sport is about the smallest, I have one and have jumped a friends who left his radio on and completely drained his battery. I have also heard that they are capable of jumping a V8 truck. My son has a Jeep, he had a dead battery and his wife's car was not able to jump his Jeep but my Micro Start was able to jump it.

US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    The Micro-Start Sport is about the smallest, I have one and have jumped a friends who left his radio on and completely drained his battery. I have also heard that they are capable of jumping a V8 truck. My son has a Jeep, he had a dead battery and his wife's car was not able to jump his Jeep but my Micro Start was able to jump it.
    This one?
    https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-B.../dp/B01AH99L3A

Spyder Garage

"That is the one I have. Make sure it comes with the case and all of the extra cables. it can also charge cell phones, laptops, etc."

Does anyone else have one that can give more info on it or have used one?

US LED Flag

Spyder Garage

I think I'll just feel better with a new battery, and am going to have my local car mechanic do the work. Is there anything he/I should know. It doesn't seem there is a memory issue taking out the battery, and it all feels very straightforward to change.

Spyder Garage

One more question on all of this:

If I buy my own battery, which one would be a great, long term choice.

Spyder Garage

Get the one the manual recommends or check with the local Spyder dealer. Asking a question like that will

gather at least a hundred different answers on here.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Get the one the manual recommends or check with the local Spyder dealer. Asking a question like that will

gather at least a hundred different answers on here.

Jack
    I was hoping for a number of answers, so that isn't a bad thing for me. I'd like to go higher end than the BRP battery.

Spyder Garage

Get another Yuasa just like is in it now. Used by most powersport vehicle manufacturers. They are good batteries that will last 5 or 6 years in a Spyder at a reasonable price. Since it appears you wish to change out your battery before it is bad. You may as well get a cheaper Chinese one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I was hoping for a number of answers, so that isn't a bad thing for me. I'd like to go higher end than the BRP battery.
    The biggest factor in the longevity of a battery is the preparation of the battery before it goes on the bike and the starter button is pushed. Even a battery that is sold as being factory prepped should be charged before being installed just to make sure that you have a good charge. If the battery comes with an acid pack, it is extremely critical that it be prepped according to the instructions. Failure to do so will result in shorter battery life.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture