Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rump Roast

Spyder Garage

Default Rump Roast

A couple of weekends ago I rode 120 miles on my 2014 RT limited, my rump was crispy crittered, passed well done and could have got a gallon of sweat from pants. Ok may be over doing it a bit. I got a full sheepskin cover from Misty mountain and went about 250 miles last Sunday. My rump was medium well done this time, also noticed the sheepskin pushed me forward abit, and felt a bit cramped. (I am 6' 2") I love riding this bike but the heat is getting to be a problem. Can some kind of heat shield or insulation be placed under the seat to deflect the heat? Is there something that works better then a sheepskin?

I have a great Idea, why hasn't someone come up with a refrigerated seat cushion that works on 12 volts? Yes I know how a refrigeration system works, but it would be a challenge!!!!
    2018 White F3 Limited

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You must have been reading my mind !
    they have refrigerated seats in some cars now, I see no reason that that can't be done
    on a bike or a trike. I will be at SEMA in a few weeks and you can bet I will find out what
    it will take to install one on a seat for a Spyder.
    Ride Safe "and cool"
    Dave

\
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCajun1957 View Post
    A couple of weekends ago I rode 120 miles on my 2014 RT limited, my rump was crispy crittered, passed well done and could have got a gallon of sweat from pants. Ok may be over doing it a bit. I got a full sheepskin cover from Misty mountain and went about 250 miles last Sunday. My rump was medium well done this time, also noticed the sheepskin pushed me forward abit, and felt a bit cramped. (I am 6' 2") I love riding this bike but the heat is getting to be a problem. Can some kind of heat shield or insulation be placed under the seat to deflect the heat? Is there something that works better then a sheepskin?

I have a great Idea, why hasn't someone come up with a refrigerated seat cushion that works on 12 volts? Yes I know how a refrigeration system works, but it would be a challenge!!!!

Spyder Garage

Maybe the nice Tupperware that encloses the engine to make it look cool is the problem? Here is a profound thought for the BRP over paid engineers, remove the plastic crap and let the heat out.

Spyder Garage

Default Roasted nuts

Put the 2013 air scoop kit on and it will eliminate "almost" all of that heat.It makes a big difference. I wish that I had recorded the glove box temp's before and after. Functional and good looks too. Randy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There have been VERY few reports of the 1330 RTs shoving heat back onto the rider. Something must not be in it's proper place.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Got a cooling pad we bought for our dog he don't use.

It really does work , u can have it

Spyder Garage

This article is a bit dated but still gives a pretty good idea of the concepts out there for butt fatigue. I use the wooden BeadRider product. They work great for air circulation and they are surprisingly comfortable (regardless of the mental picture that you get when you consider putting your butt on their beads).

My BeadRider seat also works well in heavy rain. Keeping me from sitting in a puddle which will eventually soak through any rain gear.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/fiv...-pads-compared

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    There have been VERY few reports of the 1330 RTs shoving heat back onto the rider. Something must not be in it's proper place.

The heat seems to be coming up through the bottom of the seat>
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I found a universal ATV seat cover at Bass Pro lik $40 fits great stays in place even after getting gas, never had a heat issue to begin with but adds more comfort if I parked in sun for too long. No water pooling either.

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gldwnger View Post
    Put the 2013 air scoop kit on and it will eliminate "almost" all of that heat.It makes a big difference. I wish that I had recorded the glove box temp's before and after. Functional and good looks too. Randy
    Just finished reading a previous thread where Doc Riverside installed the air scoop kit from BRP on his 2014 RT, they looked good and it sounds like it would take care of the problem I am having. It would be cool if someone came out with a kit that is a direct replacement over the grill and bolted down where the wind deflector mounts. Would that work? A scoop that has a hole at the side that covers the grill maybe with a foam gasket. Put it in place then use the wind deflector mounting bolts then snap a front screen.

OPS hehehe I guess there is more on the inside to this then I thought.
    Last edited by TheCajun1957; 09-07-2016 at 08:03 PM.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    This article is a bit dated but still gives a pretty good idea of the concepts out there for butt fatigue. I use the wooden BeadRider product. They work great for air circulation and they are surprisingly comfortable (regardless of the mental picture that you get when you consider putting your butt on their beads).

My BeadRider seat also works well in heavy rain. Keeping me from sitting in a puddle which will eventually soak through any rain gear.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/fiv...-pads-compared

I used a BeadRider seat on my Honda ST. Worked well. I've yet to try it on my RT-S.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The heat seems to be coming up through the bottom of the seat>
    What are you wearing for pants?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a kinda personal question, Bob!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Bead Rider

I had one on my HD and transferred it to the Spyder. No heat problems, comfortable and like the previous post said it's great for keeping you from sitting in water in the rain. They come 2 ways, wood and ceramic. Ceramic is better than wood all around.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    That's a kinda personal question, Bob!
    ALL motorcycles create a certain amount of heat. It's normal, and should be expected.
    Do we have a situation of unrealistic expectations; or is something actually going on?
    (Just trying to rule out some of the potential issues... )

Spyder Garage

Just finished reading a previous thread where Doc Riverside installed the air scoop kit from BRP on his 2014 RT, they looked good and it sounds like it would take care of the problem I am having. It would be cool if someone came out with a kit that is a direct replacement over the grill and bolted down where the wind deflector mounts. Would that work? A scoop that has a hole at the side that covers the grill maybe with a foam gasket. Put it in place then use the wind deflector mounting bolts then snap a front screen.

OPS hehehe I guess there is more on the inside to this then I thought.
    I know Doc Riverside, and have to agree with this. I have a 2015 RT Limited, and was told about the vent kit, best farkle I've done to my Spyder, and cheapest at $65.00. Part of the kit is removing a large piece under the body work that allows the air being sucked in by the side vents to carry the hot air back and down way from the glove box and seat, giving a more comfortable ride. Get hold of Doc Riverside, or search for the side vent kit, and make up your own mind. His post is pretty complete with where to get the kit, and how to install it.

C0391.jpg

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    I know Doc Riverside, and have to agree with this. I have a 2015 RT Limited, and was told about the vent kit, best farkle I've done to my Spyder, and cheapest at $65.00. Part of the kit is removing a large piece under the body work that allows the air being sucked in by the side vents to carry the hot air back and down way from the glove box and seat, giving a more comfortable ride. Get hold of Doc Riverside, or search for the side vent kit, and make up your own mind. His post is pretty complete with where to get the kit, and how to install it.

C0391.jpg
    X2 get the kit ... 2015 RTS here. It helps when you are moving.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

Cycle Gear sells seat pads; they have an airflow pad made with 3d spacer mesh. Air actually flows under your rump to alleviate the roasting. Last time I saw them, they were under 15 bucks.

My mods: Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly" graphics, custom tag frame to match graphics, Kuryakyn floorboards, Street Magic Easy Risers, Mean City Cycles seat mod, BRP Ultra Touring windshield with wind deflectors, Street FX ElectroPod lighting kit, Street FX Tire Technix motion activated wheel lights, extended parking brake lever, SpyderPops super duper foot-saving heat shield (aaahhhhh!!!)

Spyder Garage

Loose blue gene carpenter pants.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I think what I will do is this, I will keep the idea of the air scoops in mind, it seems that it would get rid of my heat problem, problem is its a modification to the bike itself. After reading a bunch of articles, I am going to try the ceramic bead covers from BeadRider. Who knows, I might just want that heat in the fall or early spring time! If the beads don't do it for me then will do the air scoop upgrade.

Beadrider site suggests the 14" x 14" for the driver and 10" x 12" for the passanger. Are these good sizes for the RT regular seat?

Do any of the sponsors of this board sell the Beadrider products?

Thanks everyone for your inputs!!!!!
    Last edited by TheCajun1957; 09-08-2016 at 05:12 PM.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After reading a bunch of articles, I am going to try the ceramic bead covers from BeadRider. Who knows, I might just want that heat in the fall or early spring time! If the beads don't do it for me then will do the air scoop upgrade. Do any of the sponsors of this board sell the Beadrider products?
    I don't believe that any of them do, but they do seem to be your best bet!

Spyder Garage

I read a post here where a piece of aluminum car windshield shade was cut to fit under the seat. The poster claimed it reduced heat up through the seat. A cheap fix and easy to try.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buggy View Post
    I read a post here where a piece of aluminum car windshield shade was cut to fit under the seat. The poster claimed it reduced heat up through the seat. A cheap fix and easy to try.
    Not a bad Idea will have to try it!
    2018 White F3 Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think what I will do is this, I will keep the idea of the air scoops in mind, it seems that it would get rid of my heat problem, problem is its a modification to the bike itself. After reading a bunch of articles, I am going to try the ceramic bead covers from BeadRider. Who knows, I might just want that heat in the fall or early spring time! If the beads don't do it for me then will do the air scoop upgrade.

Beadrider site suggests the 14" x 14" for the driver and 10" x 12" for the passanger. Are these good sizes for the RT regular seat?

Do any of the sponsors of this board sell the Beadrider products?

Thanks everyone for your inputs!!!!!
    Copperman was selling a beadrider here recently. Check the 4-sale forum.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Copperman was selling a beadrider here recently. Check the 4-sale forum.
    Its sold. Thanks anyway.

Ok so I now know the 14 x 14 is good for the driver, What about the riders size?
    2018 White F3 Limited