Spyder Garage

Default PARKING BRAKE FAILURE

This concerns a 2013 RT Limited SE5. While out riding today, when I stopped to park, I pushed the button for the parking brake, and got an orange screen that said "Parking Brake Failure". The red "P" on the dash was on and the parking brake was engaged. Tried to pull up codes, but there were none. Tried to physically move the Spyder, but it would not budge, so the parking brake was working. Shut the Spyder down, ran my errand, came back, started the Spyder, no orange screen, the red "P" was still showing on the dashboard, and the parking brake was still engaged. Released the parking brake, rode for awhile, went home, put the Spyder in the garage, set the parking brake, no problem, no orange screen, everything seems fine. We are heading to SpyderQuest on Wednesday, I could take it to the dealer on Tuesday if I had to. I am going to call him in any case.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any advice/suggestions other than a trip to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

I just looked at the dashboard, and realized instead of a "P" the indicator is a red exclamation point in a circle. And, it is blinking. Looks like a trip to the dealer. And I just got it back on Friday!
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 09-04-2016 at 09:55 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

This happened o me 2 years ago. I started a thread and got a lot of goor advice. Here is a link to thathttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...uot-What-to-do

let us know if that helps.

Spyder Garage

Had this happen on a 2014 RT-S

Check your brake fluid levels, that was the cause on mine.

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    This concerns a 2013 RT Limited SE5. While out riding today, when I stopped to park, I pushed the button for the parking brake, and got an orange screen that said "Parking Brake Failure". The red "P" on the dash was on and the parking brake was engaged. Tried to pull up codes, but there were none. Tried to physically move the Spyder, but it would not budge, so the parking brake was working. Shut the Spyder down, ran my errand, came back, started the Spyder, no orange screen, the red "P" was still showing on the dashboard, and the parking brake was still engaged. Released the parking brake, rode for awhile, went home, put the Spyder in the garage, set the parking brake, no problem, no orange screen, everything seems fine. We are heading to SpyderQuest on Wednesday, I could take it to the dealer on Tuesday if I had to. I am going to call him in any case.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any advice/suggestions other than a trip to the dealer?

Thanks in advance.

I just looked at the dashboard, and realized instead of a "P" the indicator is a red exclamation point in a circle. And, it is blinking. Looks like a trip to the dealer. And I just got it back on Friday!

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    The flashing exclamation point in the circle is the symbol for the parking break. Flashing means it's engaged. It's in your manual.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

A flashing "!" is normal when the parking brake is set.

Parking brake failure notice and yet the parking brake is working means the parking brake needs to be adjusted or the limit switch is bad.

There is no brake fluid involved in the parking brake. No need to add brake fluid.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    A flashing "!" is normal when the parking brake is set.

Parking brake failure notice and yet the parking brake is working means the parking brake needs to be adjusted or the limit switch is bad.

There is no brake fluid involved in the parking brake. No need to add brake fluid.
    Thanks Billy, that puts my mind somewhat more at ease. I am going to call my dealer tomorrow morning (closed today) & ask him if he wants me to bring it to him to check the adjustment and/or limit switch. Hopefully just an adjustment, as we are due to head up to SpyderQuest on Wednesday. I hope it is not the limit switch, as I am pretty sure that is not a part that a dealer would stock.
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    The flashing exclamation point in the circle is the symbol for the parking break. Flashing means it's engaged. It's in your manual.
    No it is not. I have the same bike 2013 RT Ltd. Symbol is a red P. I notice you have a 2014 so maybe they changed it for 2014 but the 213 Red P is the correct emblem on the dash and in the owners manual that I have. And no I have not had the problem described.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bobleach45 View Post
    No it is not. I have the same bike 2013 RT Ltd. Symbol is a red P. I notice you have a 2014 so maybe they changed it for 2014 but the 213 Red P is the correct emblem on the dash and in the owners manual that I have. And no I have not had the problem described.

Really? How interesting. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/O...013/2718EN.pdf

Pages 27 and 28 show a flashing exclamation point as the normal "parking break is on" symbol. That's normal and the OP mentioned at the end of his post that that's all that's showing now. A flashing P, as you've pointed out, is not normal.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

That happened to me on my 2012. The brake pads needed replacement. replaced and was fixed.
    mtbear

Spyder Garage

Be aware of this as you can cause that error yourself.

When you hit the parking brake switch you will be able to feel the brake pedal come up.
    If you are holding your foot on the brake pedal when you hit the switch you can stall the motor or delay the pedal from activating the switch in the time the Spyder needs to sense it, and thus cause a parking brake fault.

So try to keep your foot off the brake pedal when you hit the switch.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 09-05-2016 at 10:14 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Really? How interesting. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/O...013/2718EN.pdf

Pages 27 and 28 show a flashing exclamation point as the normal "parking break is on" symbol. That's normal and the OP mentioned at the end of his post that that's all that's showing now. A flashing P, as you've pointed out, is not normal.
    Thanks Trbayth, I did look at the manual, and did not notice that the flashing ! is the normal indicator for the parking brake to be on​.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Be aware of this as you can cause that error yourself.

When you hit the parking brake switch you will be able to feel the brake pedal come up.
    If you are holding your foot on the brake pedal when you hit the switch you can stall the motor or delay the pedal from activating the switch in the time the Spyder needs to sense it, and thus cause a parking brake fault.

So try to keep your foot off the brake pedal when you hit the switch.

Bob
    Bob, I don't remember if I had my foot on the brake pedal, but I very well may have. Thanks, I will strive to be more aware of that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    This happened o me 2 years ago. I started a thread and got a lot of goor advice. Here is a link to thathttp://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...uot-What-to-do

let us know if that helps.
    Good to see you post again! Good Advice + Poor Advice = Goor Advice.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622