Spyder Garage

Default Finless Bob's trunk strut upgrade

Thanks again to Finless Bob and his imagination. I searched the threads a bit to look for upgrades to hold the trunk open after some farkles had been added (luggage rack).....Turns out ya definitely do not need to spend $65 on another shock/strut to keep it open. All I did was add a coil spring to the strut shaft like Bob showed. Cost me a whopping $.99. Yup, not even a dollar to keep my trunk open. to You Finless.
    I discovered it isn't necessary to remove the strut all the way, just release the bottom clip from the peg and swing the lower end of the strut out. Then simply coil your spring onto the strut shaft while its extended. You may need to stretch your spring a bit, depending what you buy. Just make sure that it can be compressed fully so that the trunk closes properly.

https://youtu.be/AjhvfTHI4oY
    Last edited by Mazo EMS2; 09-03-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He's the smart Bob...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for that....

Great reminder of Finless's fix and I think there is a similar one for the frunk to pop open better by adding or changing the latch spring....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Your welcome!
    I think your the first one to try my idea. Glad it worked for you. Mine is still working FYI.
    Of course you know someone is going to ask where you got the spring. I explained where I got mine in the video.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Your welcome!
    I think your the first one to try my idea. Glad it worked for you. Mine is still working FYI.
    Of course you know someone is going to ask where you got the spring. I explained where I got mine in the video.

Bob
    So far so good. If I did it over, and I may, I'd use a heavier spring. As for where to get the spring, a good hardware store selection will get ya what ya need. It is after all, just a spring. I may investigate some sort of latch.......Perhaps a rainy day project
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White