Spyder Garage

Default Compressor Woes...

So, I have a 2014 RT-S with the adjustable air shock in the rear. Got about 9K miles on it (the Spyder) when this suddenly started happening. I hear the compressor running, quitting, running, quitting a LOT while riding 2up. When I ride alone, I don't notice it doing this and it didn't do it (even while 2 up) before the 9K mile point previously described. When we (2up) come to a stop, it does some final adjusting and as long as we don't move, it (the compressor) stops and stays off. BUT, the whole time we are moving, it's like the bike is continually/constantly trying to level the bike. I've done a leak-down test on it and it loses no pressure even over a few days. SO...

I'm assuming while the bike is moving down the road, there is some algorithm the computer uses to decide when/if to adjust the rear ride height? Could this function be malfunctioning? I'm afraid of wearing out the compressor and I hear that's um... "not a good thing"??

So to review:

When riding alone, I don't "notice" the compressor acting different than it has acted since new.

Since new, while riding 2up, the compressor acted no differently than when riding alone UNTIL now (about 9K miles).

The compressor only acts up while the Spyder is going down the road 2up. At a stop (even extended stops) the compressor adjusts the ride height and stops and stays off until the bike moves down the road.

The compressor cycling is happening every 10 to 15 seconds or so.

I should say also that we often ride in hill ridden terrain with lots of ups and down hills.

Anyone else notice anything like this? Is this normal and I'm just more annoyed at it doing this? Anyone know if this is something to worry about and if so, how it can be resolved? As always, any constructive help will be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Mike
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The suspension system is position based. it uses position(s) readings off of the position sensor and matches the position selected with the position switch. This is a complicated computer thing and any wear in the position sensor linkage or abnormalities in the position sensor itself may cause the symptoms you describe. My 2012RTL acts the same way. When the 2nd person is added to the spyder the system adds air pressure to raise the bike to the selected level and maintain it going down the road. Yes, you may have a air leak at these higher pressures and temperatures. Could also be a bad check valve. That is why it is so hard to trouble shoot these systems.

BTW if the linkage to or the position sensor is fiddled with, the spyder must be hooked to the buds computer and the position sensor reset.

One last thing. I beleve the RT is rated at 440 lbs maximum load. Not sure how it reacts to an overload. Not saying you are overloading it, just bringing it up.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

I had a similar problem with my 2014 RT Ltd. I brought it back to the dealer and he replaced the compressor, under warranty, no more problem.

Spyder Garage

The software does have a small delay on the position sensor before it will run the compressor. Going over bumps and stuff should not make it try to change.

You may have a leak and a running compressor (more than normal) is a symptom.
    You may also see from time to time when you use the switch instead of showing on the dash the graph it will say MANUAL.

Test for a leak:
    Under your seat is a Schrader valve you can read the air bag pressure from.
    Park the Spyder and read it with an air gauge.
    Leave it over night.
    Next morning read it.
    If it is way down on pressure by more than say 10-15 PSI you have a leak!

Oh also, a blown rear shock may also cause it to adjust a lot more.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 09-04-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Frank G: Thank you for your reply. I did recently change the rear tire but, removed the position sensor linkage per, Bob’s (Finless’) video instructions before removing the lower shock mount so, shouldn’t have been an issue. I rechecked the connection and it’s still good. I also mentioned that I did a leak-down test ….results… NO leakage. The Spyder lost about 1.5psi over 3 days at a moderately high pressure (about 75 psi). I suspect this would eliminate the check valve question as well?
    So, that leaves me with the 440lbs rating. You might be on to something here. 2-up is pretty near that limit however, I have been slowly adding “necessary” items to carry like extra fuel, battery jump starter, plug and compressor kit, bottled water….. SO, maybe THIS is how it acts to an overload!?

Jersey: I’m not sure I’d understand how the compressor itself could be the issue (as opposed to whatever controls it) but then, I don’t know everything so I will keep that in mind. Thanks for chiming in.

Finless: I would expect the operation to be precisely as you describe in your first sentence.

I think I did a sufficient leak-down test of the air system . I suspect eh 1.5psi I lost was due to the checking process itself (air lost when pushing the gauge onto the Schrader valve) As mentioned above, test was done at about 75psi.

Additional data is that even with 2-up we can sit with the Spyder running and parking brake off and in gear and once adjusted, the compressor is never heard from even for 10 or more minutes! (Yeah, I hate getting in traffic like that too but, **it happens)

The blown shock idea is something I’ve not thought of nor checked. Would one expect to see oil (liquid) running down the outside of shock housing if the shock were blown?? ….as one would see with a car shock?

…and while we are on messaging terms THANK YOU for the tire changing video (and the compressor advice above). I watched it at least 15 times, took screen shots of the important steps, and even created a power point presentation (adding some info from Lamont and from the manual for good measure). It went exactly as predicted except, I also changed my belt while everything was apart on the back end. You are right that you really DON’T want to mess with those adjusters NOR the belt IF YOU DON’T HAVE TO!
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

I had an issue along these lines and it took re-setting the weight parameters though the BUDS software. This will likely take an experienced tech who really understands how all of this works.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default Mine did the same thing

I have a 2014 RTS and it did the same thing at SpyderFest this year, had it looked at by the BRP techs at Pitbull and it was a bad compressor, apparently they say these go bad all the time due to the workload some of these small compressors take. Covered under warranty thankfully.
    Black 2014 RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Windagetray View Post
    So, I have a 2014 RT-S with the adjustable air shock in the rear. Got about 9K miles on it (the Spyder) when this suddenly started happening. I hear the compressor running, quitting, running, quitting a LOT while riding 2up. When I ride alone, I don't notice it doing this and it didn't do it (even while 2 up) before the 9K mile point previously described. When we (2up) come to a stop, it does some final adjusting and as long as we don't move, it (the compressor) stops and stays off. BUT, the whole time we are moving, it's like the bike is continually/constantly trying to level the bike. I've done a leak-down test on it and it loses no pressure even over a few days. SO...

I'm assuming while the bike is moving down the road, there is some algorithm the computer uses to decide when/if to adjust the rear ride height? Could this function be malfunctioning? I'm afraid of wearing out the compressor and I hear that's um... "not a good thing"??

So to review:

When riding alone, I don't "notice" the compressor acting different than it has acted since new.

Since new, while riding 2up, the compressor acted no differently than when riding alone UNTIL now (about 9K miles).

The compressor only acts up while the Spyder is going down the road 2up. At a stop (even extended stops) the compressor adjusts the ride height and stops and stays off until the bike moves down the road.

The compressor cycling is happening every 10 to 15 seconds or so.

I should say also that we often ride in hill ridden terrain with lots of ups and down hills.

Anyone else notice anything like this? Is this normal and I'm just more annoyed at it doing this? Anyone know if this is something to worry about and if so, how it can be resolved? As always, any constructive help will be appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Mike
    I had a 2010 RTS 5, I had the same problem. Took it back to the Dealer (RideNow of Ocala) they said there was nothing wrong with the compressor and no leak. I went on a ride to North Carolina, when the compressor stopped working, I had to add air to the bag all the time. When I got home and took it back to the Dealer, they said I burned out the compressor. I said no kidding, I told you there was a leak. You have to go to a good Dealer, who knows Spyders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mods= luggage rack, rear trunk shelf & Mirror

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the input. At this time it could be the compressor, needing a BUDS reset, overweighting conditions, or a sensor issue. I gotta check the warranty and see if I'm willing to take it to the dealer. I don't really trust any in my area...not that there is any in my area.