Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Light Stays on

Hello. I am new the forum and a new Spyder (RSS SE5) owner. I recently bought a used bike a few weeks ago. I noticed that the break light now stays on until I turn the ignition on - it doesn't go off after a few seconds with the key in on position. I changed the oil, but when I did the step to start filling up the oil tank (3qts and run for 30 secs) the light went off after a few seconds but after filling the tank up to the full line on the dip stick, the light continues to stay on until I turn the ignition on. Is there anything else that I can do or does this call for a trip to the dealer? I hate to ask a question that probably was already answered but I can't seem to find an answer. So sorry in advance and thanks for your help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that's normal. As long as you properly did your oil change worry less. Light goes off after you start your engine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

Normally the oil light will stay on till you start the engine and it builds up oil pressure. It it stays on after you start it for more than a few seonds don't run it and take it to the dealer. The oil light only tell you about your oil pressure not your level or oil condition. You may have a bad connection or sensor or the oil pump is bad....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The oil light is for pressure not level. So the engine has to be running to go out. I will make a guess and your car is the same way. So one problem solved.

You say break light is on. I will guess you mean brake light or lights. Which lights are on and when. Do you mean the brakes on the back of the bike are on? Maybe you mean the brake light warning on the dash cluster is on? So which one and details of when?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks and I am sorry, I meant to say Oil light NOT Brake light. I was so worked up and nervous about the oil light being on on the instrument panel that I typed the wrong thing. It does go off after I start it. No problems with break light or brakes.

Spyder Garage

2018 F3 LIMITED