Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

f3s 2015 riding 2 up, 228 miles, 5.6 gallons of gas! (40.7 MPG BUT REAL FLAT COUNTRY RIDING)

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's more fun to not get good gas milage!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

198 on my '08 GS, manual.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Well I must be a "bad" person, best I've done is 171 mi with 5.85 gal fill. doesn't seem to matter what I do 28-29 mpg is about it. Drop down to 22-25 when pulling the trailer. just getting ready to click over 30,000. Oh well, didn't buy these for the great gas mileage or blinding acceleration; but the fun factor is priceless!!!
    Yep! If I worried about gas mileage and maintenance for upkeep--I could be driving something else real nice.

Lousy health this summer so I am almost up to 2,000 miles--compared to 10K plus. This will be the first year I will have to do oil changes because of time and not miles. Other dealer issues, but they now have until next season to get them worked out.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-29-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default How Far On One tank Of Gas?

Gator 37, I agree. First depending on what my fuel choices are I have run anywhere from 26 mpg to 40 mpg with about a 32 mpg average,it is what it is. But I'm like you, I fill up most times long before I would need to because my wife and/or I also like a small break around the 100 to 130 mile mark. Then the next full tank will usually get us to our destination for the day as we try to only hit a couple hundred or so miles a day and plan it out that way. We ride for enjoyment and relaxation, not to set endurance records. Now if I could only convince our group that they don't have to try and run on fumes! safe riding
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Have been getting 35-38 mpg in town up to 48 mpg riding with my lady on trips , with no felt loss of power riding two up ...... have to love this beast

Spyder Garage

I just got back from a 1,400 mile trip on my 2014 RT. I checked my millage at every fill up. While traveling on Interstate highways (70+ mph), I averaged 34-35 mpg. While traveling on State highways (55+ mph), I averaged 43-44+ mpg. The higher speeds really cut fuel economy on the 1330. I only use 93 octane in my RT.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Planning a June trip into Northeastern Ontario. I haven't made any long trips and won't have time until then. My Spyder is a 2010 RS,, bought last fall and new to me. I'm still getting used to running it at such a high rpm. Wondering what RPM you shoot for with the 998 and what kind of mpg/distance you get out of a tank. I've heard that you cannot fill the tank full, at least on a 2010. Thanks for your help. Watching winter turn to spring in WI and praying for a good hard rain or two to wash the salt and sand to the side of the roads.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    Planning a June trip into Northeastern Ontario. I haven't made any long trips and won't have time until then. My Spyder is a 2010 RS,, bought last fall and new to me. I'm still getting used to running it at such a high rpm. Wondering what RPM you shoot for with the 998 and what kind of mpg/distance you get out of a tank. I've heard that you cannot fill the tank full, at least on a 2010. Thanks for your help. Watching winter turn to spring in WI and praying for a good hard rain or two to wash the salt and sand to the side of the roads.
    55 - 60 in 5th will get you around 5500. The 998 likes that spot on the tach. Seems like high revs compared to most engines...but the 998 is very happy with it. That is also our shift point going up to the next gear. For highway cruising, higher speeds will get you higher rpms. The RS likes that. You have a 9000 or so red line...so you are not going to hurt anything.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    55 - 60 in 5th will get you around 5500. The 998 likes that spot on the tach. Seems like high revs compared to most engines...but the 998 is very happy with it. That is also our shift point going up to the next gear. For highway cruising, higher speeds will get you higher rpms. The RS likes that. You have a 9000 or so red line...so you are not going to hurt anything.
    hold off on shift till least 5 k. & lock cruise control at 5550 gets me 110-130 per tank 93octane with ethanol, when I can find E free it gets better around 150+/- (very laid back relaxed riding, no rushing) just enjoying. have not been that far North yet to know effects of altitude & what else may change it. also having my AMA membership roadside assistance handy is good peace of mind, when I go out on longer trips

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I track mpg on all my vehicles religiously, and Blackbird has a Fuelly average of 29.5 mpg in 14 months/3200 miles of ownership.
    I follow the shifting guidelines and keep the 998's tach over 5500...but I also run it aggressively, usually 2-up (very aggressively when only 1-up
    93 octane or better only, and I always top off beyond the auto-shutoff point, usually another half-gallon or so.
    My low fuel light comes on around 120 miles, and I've pushed it to about 150 before finding a fill-up, but that was a "clencher" moment
    Raprider (Rich)

2016 Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 Steel Black Metallic (Blackbird)
    BRP Audio, Heated Grips, Fog Lights, Passenger Backrest, Givi Saddlebags/Top Case
    BajaRon Swaybar, TricLed Wide-Vu Mirrors, Lamonster Ram mount and X-grip, Sena 20S Evo Dual
    TricLed Sequential Front SpyderFenderz, Dual Color Run/Brake/Turn LEDs, Brake Flasher
    Kumho Ecsta AST installed on rear 4/2021

1996 Yamaha Virago 750 (Vera) - still riding
    1987 Honda Shadow 500 (Shady) - sold
    1982 Honda Rebel 250 (Little Reb) - sold

2016 ST-S , Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    It's more fun to not get good gas milage!
    As they say "Bad decisions make GREAT stories....."

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Last tank, 90 miles when the light came on. 21mpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtlister View Post
    I just got back from a 1,400 mile trip on my 2014 RT. I checked my millage at every fill up. While traveling on Interstate highways (70+ mph), I averaged 34-35 mpg. While traveling on State highways (55+ mph), I averaged 43-44+ mpg. The higher speeds really cut fuel economy on the 1330. I only use 93 octane in my RT.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Exactly my experience over the last two years. With the exception that I loose about 3 MPG when pulling the RT622 trailer. My mileage goes up slieghtly when I am touring constantly at higher altitudes (5,000+ feet).
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I know each machine has its own personality and quirks, but anyone with an RS about how many miles are left (or amount of gas remaining) when the gas indicator light, lights up? With all my vehicles I try not to drop the tank too low and possibly pull up some of the junk at the bottom of the tank. (I haven't run low enough to see the light glowing yet). Thanks again, for the great information for everyone ... especially us Spyder novitiates.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Interesting thread. The wife and I are about to test this over the weekend. We are trying to see if we can get 200 miles on a tank of gas. We will be ryding interstates only, and we will be using ECO mode and cruise control. This is for a test to see if we can complete a “Butt Burner Gold” Run in April 1500 miles in 24 hours. We need the mileage to do it!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinDavid View Post
    I know each machine has its own personality and quirks, but anyone with an RS about how many miles are left (or amount of gas remaining) when the gas indicator light, lights up? With all my vehicles I try not to drop the tank too low and possibly pull up some of the junk at the bottom of the tank. (I haven't run low enough to see the light glowing yet). Thanks again, for the great information for everyone ... especially us Spyder novitiates.
    On our 08 and 09 GS/RS models...the light would usually come on for us at about 150. My max run on the 08 was 184 miles and it took 5.8 gallons. I would not do that again.

Conservatively...I would recommend no more than 20 miles once the light comes on. If you are on a trip...I would fill about every 125 miles or so...just to be safe...and allow yourself a stretch break.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-27-2019 at 12:38 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Interesting thread. The wife and I are about to test this over the weekend. We are trying to see if we can get 200 miles on a tank of gas. We will be ryding interstates only, and we will be using ECO mode and cruise control. This is for a test to see if we can complete a “Butt Burner Gold” Run in April 1500 miles in 24 hours. We need the mileage to do it!
    200 miles should be doable. My refill light comes on about 200 - 210 miles on the 2014 RT-S.
    A little bit of variance...but with eco mode....it will give you an additional 1 to 2 mpg.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    200 miles should be doable. My refill light comes on about 200 - 210 miles on the 2014 RT-S.
    A little bit of variance...but with eco mode....it will give you an additional 1 to 2 mpg.
    The light on my 2014 RTL comes on at about 210 miles also. I have over a gallon left in the tank when it comes on. If I am riding interstate speed exclusevly (70+ MPH) I will look for fuel at about 180 miles instead of 200..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    The light on my 2014 RTL comes on at about 210 miles also. I have over a gallon left in the tank when it comes on. If I am riding interstate speed exclusevly (70+ MPH) I will look for fuel at about 180 miles instead of 200..... Jim
    Good to know! Thanks!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.