Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dilemma

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Default Dilemma

My 09 RS is for sale and an 89 year old gentleman stopped today and wants to purchase my Spyder. Right now he's on a Burgman scooter with a trike kit. My gut is telling me that this gentleman is not going to be able to handle this Spyder. He has test driven an F3, but the riding style is so different. He could barely lift his leg over the seat on my Spyder. What do you do? He's local and I would feel so guilty if something happened to him.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

all you can do is warn him, just say your feel he might not be right for it. then if he wants it, sell it to him
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I too can barely lift my leg over the to get on. I get through the pain and I am good to go. I am still working on a hip replacement when the doctor clears me of heart issues.

If the man (bless his heart) wants to ride--don't hold him back. This could be someone like me in about 19 years or so. I have said many times, if something bad happens to me while I am riding a motorcycle (here ), don't fret. I will have died happy.

One of my true pleasures in life. And I do it as much as I can.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Even if I lose the sale...I believe an RT model would be more suited for him. The position of the RS is going to be tough.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brettssunshine View Post
    Even if I lose the sale...I believe an RT model would be more suited for him. The position of the RS is going to be tough.
    Would agree on what you say about RT vs. RS. I thought of another thing too. No sales to anyone who may have Alzheimer's. It can be obvious or not. Wishing you a quick sale.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-28-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Hate to say it but.....

Go with your gut. You would feel horrible if something happened. Not an easy decision, good luck!
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to you, for letting your conscience make a little bit of noise!
    I would gently voice my concerns to the man...
    But it iS his decision to make, and if he buys the bike; you did offer him a graceful way out of the deal.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I strongly applaud your conscience. Yes, he's an adult but were I in your shoes and something happened to him it's something I'd have to live with and don't know if I'd want do be in that position. Being a gutsy high mileage citizen is one thing, but...
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There might be another side to this dilemma: how would YOU feel, if somebody told you that you were too old to do something?

Spyder Garage

Default Bow out gracefully

Brett, I'm sure you could come up with a tactful way to let him down easy. Could say that you have another buyer? Or that you have decided that maybe your going to keep it and possibly sell later?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Brett, I'm sure you could come up with a tactful way to let him down easy. Could say that you have another buyer? Or that you have decided that maybe your going to keep it and possibly sell later?
    It would be obvious to the potential purchaser. The truth hurts sometimes, but is still the best way in the long run.

I personally am liking the tell him your thoughts up front, but let him make the final decision. PS. The RT (IMO) would be a better way to go because of the comfort issues.

Let's hope this all works out for the good.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I too can barely lift my leg over the to get on. I get through the pain and I am good to go. I am still working on a hip replacement when the doctor clears me of heart issues.

If the man (bless his heart) wants to ride--don't hold him back. This could be someone like me in about 19 years or so. I have said many times, if something bad happens to me while I am riding a motorcycle (here ), don't fret. I will have died happy.

One of my true pleasures in life. And I do it as much as I can.
    I agree completely. I have a hip and leg issue that causes me problems when getting on/off and sometimes when riding. However, I am probably at far greater risk when walking down the street or walking through the parking lot to go into the coffee shop where I am a regular customer. Voice your concerns and let him decide. No guilt is necessary on your part no mater what decision he makes.

Spyder Garage

But that RS riding position might be what he's after?? Still, as others have said, good on you for being concerned, but really, it is his choice isn't it?? Maybe (tactfully) express your concerns about this to him & see how he responds? And don't forget that there are already more than just a couple of RS riders around who are around the same age as him (or possibly even older!) and they might look a little frail or fragile while walking, but those I know personally can be damned hard to keep up with once they've managed to struggle aboard!!

So sure, express your concern, (maybe even ask check his licence? ) but unless he's clearly incapable of riding &/or making a decision about what he wants to do in his Golden Years, it is HIS decision to do what he will/buy what he likes. This can be one of the hardest things for kids & carers to come to terms with about their Parents &/or charges; but you can't stop them doing things just because you feel it might be risky for them.... And you are arguably in a far less 'responsible' position than his children or carers - It is HIS life, what's left of it is his to do with as he will, isn't it?? Doesn't your Constitution guarantee him that right?

Besides, if you tell him he can't buy or ride your Spyder cos 'he's too old & fragile for it', even if you word it much nicer than that, there's still a good chance that'll be like a red rag to a bull, & he might be angry enough to go out there & buy/ride something even more unsuitable & dangerous - and if/when he stacks that, won't you feel just as responsible for forcing him into a really bad decision, for not giving him a chance at riding something that might've been a little better suited & safer, even if possibly not quite the most suitable?? (In your opinion,anyway??)

State your concerns to him as tactfully as you can, but if he's old enough & legally allowed to do this, then if he's got the $$ surely you gotta leave the final choice up to him!?! I know I'd want to be accorded that courtesy when I'm 89; I sure as heck demand that courtesy now, despite having some mobility issues that many would consider very similar to what you've told us of his!! Give him a go, it could be the last thing he needs to tick off on his bucket list.... or maybe it's just another milestone in an already exciting life!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

As long as he is in his right mind............... why would you think it is your business to deny him the pleasure of doing without. You sound like my old bosses Doctor that wanted him to quit smoking cigars at age 87, it was something that he truly enjoyed.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Let him ride

He'll love it

Spyder Garage

Default Divine Intervention

I'm editing this to thank everyone for their feedback. Some of you pointed out things to me that I hadn't thought of. I put myself in that position and I wouldn't want to be his age and not be able to do what I wanted. But.....

I believe that everything happens for a reason. The gentleman was coming back this evening to test ride it in a parking lot and work a deal. My husband, while he was out dirt bike riding, received a call from a married couple who are looking for a Spyder for the wife; they drive two hours, test ride the bike and buy it.

The funny thing was, the gentleman didn't like the seating position but wanted the Spyder.

Cruze Joe, it's not my business to tell this man what he can or can not do. I, myself, don't like that but my gut was telling me there was a huge potential here for this man to be hurt or killed. God intervened and I didn't have to deny him purchase, tell a little white lie or anything.
    Last edited by Brettssunshine; 08-28-2016 at 07:21 PM.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

You did well....being concerned for your fellow man is never bad. I applaud your concern for another person....glad it all worked out...well done...

I'm editing this to thank everyone for their feedback. Some of you pointed out things to me that I hadn't thought of. I put myself in that position and I wouldn't want to be his age and not be able to do what I wanted. But.....

I believe that everything happens for a reason. The gentleman was coming back this evening to test ride it in a parking lot and work a deal. My husband, while he was out dirt bike riding, received a call from a married couple who are looking for a Spyder for the wife; they drive two hours, test ride the bike and buy it.

The funny thing was, the gentleman didn't like the seating position but wanted the Spyder.

Cruze Joe, it's not my business to tell this man what he can or can not do. I, myself, don't like that but my gut was telling me there was a huge potential here for this man to be hurt or killed. God intervened and I didn't have to deny him purchase, tell a little white lie or anything.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like everything worked out.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

glad it all worked out, now if i can only sell mine so i can upgrade

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on the Sale!
    You DID tell them about us: didn't you?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    on the Sale!
    You DID tell them about us: didn't you?

Thank you! And yes, I told them about Spyderlovers and Girls on Spyders since my Spyder is going to another female.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Now What?

I'm glad things worked out well.

So... now that that's done, what are you getting to replace the RS?
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-29-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I'm glad things worked out well.

So... not that that's done, what are you getting to replace the RS?
    I have already purchased a 2015 F3-S from a Spyderlover's member who lives in Texas...who has been awesome to work with btw! Now I just have to wait for the shipper to pick it up which isn't going to be until between 9/8 - 9/10.

My husband told me that I was being extremely patient and understanding about the shipping. Only on the outside.....because on the inside I am a mess!!! I want my !!

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Tough call....

Glad it all worked out but have to say in the end it is how well you can deal with the guilt it something did happen. It may have been solved for you in the test drive when you saw how he handled the RS ....congrats on the sale..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have already purchased a 2015 F3-S from a Spyderlover's member who lives in Texas...who has been awesome to work with btw! Now I just have to wait for the shipper to pick it up which isn't going to be until between 9/8 - 9/10.

My husband told me that I was being extremely patient and understanding about the shipping. Only on the outside.....because on the inside I am a mess!!! I want my !!
    Good for you! Hopefully you'll be enjoying it real soon.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat