Spyder Garage

Default Couple more questions ....

I really appreciate all the responses to my post about my test ride. Terrific advice.

I was out on my F6B this afternoon and stopped by the dealer to take a photo for my wife. She thinks "Spyders are cool looking!". BTAIM, I'm still on the fence about purchasing one.

I'm not planning on just having the Spyder, I love 2 wheelers and the F6B is my favorite bike I've ever had.

So, one of my questions is: How many of you Spyder owners still own and ride a 2 wheel motorcycle?

Another question is: since these two bikes handle so differently, do you have problems going from riding one to the other? That has been a big concern of mine and why I have not pursued this before.

Finally ... the 2016 F3-Ts with SE6 (which surprisingly, I like!) I'm looking at lists for $23,500 with the $2000 Can Am incentive. I'm wondering what kind of dealing I can do? I'd consider paying this OTD, but not adding all the other stuff ... for example, sales tax here in CT is like 6.5%, then there's all the other "add ons". By the time that is done, the 2 grand will be back on the tab.

Thanx

Spyder Garage

I still ride a few different 2wheelers, but always off the public roads nowadays - as a result of military service I've got an acquired brain injury that means I'm really not too stable whenever there are things moving rapidly & unpredictably in my peripheral vision these days, but if I'm sitting on something stable, like in a car or on a Spyder or quad, then I'm fine! So riding 2wheelers off road or on the track is OK (albeit a little 'uncomfortable' at times) but riding them on the road with too many other vehicles around just isn't viable anymore!! But I still ride off road, even do the occasional track work, trials, or motocross event (when it's really mainly me that I'm likely to hurt if I get the colly wobbles!) & I never have any difficulties swapping from a 2wheeler onto the Spyder or a quad & back again - & no, after the first 20 mins or so on a Spyder, I've never been caught by grabbing for the 'missing' hand brake nor do I feel the lack of it at all!!

Can't help you with the 'dealing' practices over there, but over here in Aus I can assure you that I'll be haggling bloody hard if they release an RT with Sports Mode or an F3T with Sports Mode & a Turbo!!

Spyder Garage

Default 3 wheels all the way

I'm 47, no physical issues, rode 2 wheels for 30 years, traded in my ST1300 on a RT-s, wouldn't go back

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Default Love my F3s

I been riding 2 wheels for 45 years all brands and styles , I still had my fatboylo but it's been collecting dust sense I got my F3s .There is a learning curve but if your like me a couple of hours and you will be diving into curves and slingshoting out a whole lot faster If that's your style . Take a test ride you might just like it .
    2015 F3S , silver

Spyder Garage

Default What ?!!!??

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I'm 47, no physical issues, rode 2 wheels for 30 years, traded in my ST1300 on a RT-s, wouldn't go back

...Spyder ST1300 ?......

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

I got rid of the bike but drive 2 wheels sometimes... Depends on the situation.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just turned 50 this month. I purchased my first 2 wheeler for my 40th birthday. Over the first 8 years, I have owned 10 different bikes, 4- 600 cc sport bikes, a 1500 cc suzuki intruder, a zx14 super bike, 2-zzr1200, 2 muscle cruisers (Suzuki M109). Then 2 years ago, I purchased my spyder and I had to learn to ride all over again. After 2 years, I felt the need for 2 wheels again, so I picked up another Suzuki M109. I have no trouble switching from 2-3 wheels, and back again. In fact, I think the spyder has made me a better rider on 2 wheels, because I learned to hold a line better when taking curves. I still love both, since the wife will only ride on the spyder, and I prefer to ride 2 wheels when alone. But when the temps fall below 55 degrees, only the spyder will be on the road.
    BTW, I also love the F6B, but it didn't fit my budget when I was searching for a 2 wheeler to go along with my spyder.
    Also, I am more of a rider, and not a pretender. I have averaged around 10k miles on either 2 or 3 wheels since I been riding. Incomparison, I only logged in 1k miles on my mustang, and another 1k miles on my lightning last year.
    Last edited by blacklightning; 08-27-2016 at 09:34 PM.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Richardv View Post
    ...Spyder ST1300 ?......
    I traded in my Honda ST1300 on a RT-S

2017 RT-S

Bump Skid - Spyderpops
    Wrap - Wrapmyspyder
    swaybar - Bajaron
    Sena 20D & SM10
    3 PC Mesh Zippered Lid Net Set - TricLED
    A arm LED's - Safety LED's - TricLED
    Mirror Sequential turn signals
    Glo-riders
    LED rear turn signals and reverse lights
    Front Grills
    Third Brake light
    Larson Scanner
    Light Up - Sue Hopper

Spyder Garage

Drove two flavors for a few years. When hip said no to two wheels, I managed to stick with the .

Differences: just had to keep in mind which hat to wear when riding one or the other. They are different enough that you have to think about a few things. Screw up, and you will remember quickly.

Dickering and dealing will vary from locale and from dealer to dealer. Get the best deal you can and then be happy with it. Never look back, there is always a better deal somewhere.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-28-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
    I really appreciate all the responses to my post about my test ride. Terrific advice.

I was out on my F6B this afternoon and stopped by the dealer to take a photo for my wife. She thinks "Spyders are cool looking!". BTAIM, I'm still on the fence about purchasing one.

I'm not planning on just having the Spyder, I love 2 wheelers and the F6B is my favorite bike I've ever had.

So, one of my questions is: How many of you Spyder owners still own and ride a 2 wheel motorcycle?

Another question is: since these two bikes handle so differently, do you have problems going from riding one to the other? That has been a big concern of mine and why I have not pursued this before.

Finally ... the 2016 F3-Ts with SE6 (which surprisingly, I like!) I'm looking at lists for $23,500 with the $2000 Can Am incentive. I'm wondering what kind of dealing I can do? I'd consider paying this OTD, but not adding all the other stuff ... for example, sales tax here in CT is like 6.5%, then there's all the other "add ons". By the time that is done, the 2 grand will be back on the tab.

Thanx
    Currently ride a Thunderbird Storm, had a 14' rt, considering an f3. At 62 years young,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cafejimlv View Post
    Currently ride a Thunderbird Storm, had a 14' rt, considering an f3. At 62 years young,
    It's not a motorcycle, as you know. This whatever you want to call it may be a little safer than two wheels. Good luck with your decision.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Let Ya Know

About this time last year I bought my Spyder, transferred registration from my Raider and parked it in the back of the garage, it's been sitting there collecting dust but still looking good, day before yesterday I decided it needed cleaning so I cleaned the side I could get to now looked great but the other side ?? had to move it out to get to it, did that and cleaned it now looks fantastic, big mistake it's now pointed out the door and will be registered tomorrow, I don't foresee any problem switching between the two. As for dealers my local wouldn't come off his retail price so I drove 100 miles and saved almost 3k

Spyder Garage

Check eBay they got good deals and the sponsors that we have here do too. I bought 2 in Texas and had them transported to my house in Florida saved a couple of thousand dollars Saved 7k on my first can am RTS and maybe 4 on my second RTS
    Last edited by jtoro1; 08-28-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanx, guys ...

Really appreciate your responses. Good information all.

Spyder Garage

I have my 2016 Spyder f3t a 2015 Harley Roadglide and a 2012 Harley V-Rod ,I rode all three of them today. They are all very different but had no problems going from one bike to another.

I haven't ridden the 2 wheelers in a while and I have to admit after riding today I do miss them,but nothing compares to being able to hit the reverse button and effortlessly back into the garage and the smooth ride.

If you can have both you can't go wrong, I'd like to sell at least one of my 2 wheelers but they are so different from each other it's hard to say which one I'd miss more.
    Sold - 2021 RT Limited, Petrol Blue, trailer hitch.

Traded in - 2019 F3 Limited, Blue/Chrome: with
    Baja Ron swaybar, 19” tinted Freedom Windshield, Lamonster LED headlights, IPS Fog Light Kit, trailer hitch, Lamonster Mirror Locks, Ultimate TallBoy Seat.

Sold - 2014 Time-Out Camper

traded in - 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Sold - 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DTC
    Sold - 2017 Indian Roadmaster
    Traded in - 2016 F3T

And a couple hundred other bikes over the years!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bcer960 View Post
    I traded in my Honda ST1300 on a RT-S
    Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bagger View Post

Thanx
    Been riding just about everything under the sun (and all over the world) for the last 40+ years.

We also have an F6B and a F3 ltd .... I feel, with these two, we have the best the biking world has to offer a couple of senior citizens.

going between them is not much different then getting off the bike and jumping on a 4wheeler and vice - a versa.

Go for it.

Also, even though the dealer just got the F3 Ltd (special edition) last spring, I was able to walk out with the bike, extended warranty for the F3 and the F6B, extra windshield, Maint. contract, new leather jacket for the wife, and a couple of other minor do-dads for the F3 and still keep the otd cost under MSRP.

Haggle away and have fun with it.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Default harley rider switched to a spyder RT limited

I been riding bikes for 40 years. Several Honda's, Yamaha's, and several Harley's in a row! Like my spyder, it is especially good for two up riding. I also miss my Harley, in fact I may go buy one this week! I don't see any problem switching back and two to 2 wheels or 3 wheels, just remember when to put you feet down!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanx, guys ...

You all have been sterling in your responses. I appreciate that.

I must admit, that with just 3 "test rides" of about 10 minutes each, finding the F3-T "twitchy" in my hands, I was (and to a degree still am) a bit nervous piloting the F3-T.

That said, I've ridden every kind of street motorcycle from ZX-14 Ninja, to GL-1800, to Harleys. In fact, I still have the GL-1800 F6B and was out on my Stage 3 HD today. Enjoy riding both of them a great deal. Different, but still very enjoyable each. I'm sure the F3-S will be as well.

So I purchased a F3-S Special (mat black) from iMotorsports a couple days ago. Expect delivery in a week or 2. Started buying stuff for the bike that will make it more comfy and such .... Lamont's RIP boards, F4 28" tinted windscreen, Ultimate backrest. And, have some additional lighting stuff and foam grips in the que as well.

Can't wait for delivery ! Looking forward to riding this beastie to get used to it.

Thanx, guys.

Oh ... almost forgot, the deal was $3500 less than the local dealer and delivery is FREE !

Spyder Garage

Default Still do the 2 wheels

Some really good responses here!
    I'm 64, still ride one of my 2 Harley's when I can, but I prefer my F3S, bad hip and leg issues. I just love being in the wind and on the Spyder I can still get a little crazy. My motto is I'll ride until I die!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Couple more questions ....

Two 2 wheelers and an RT here. My wife rides the spyder, but I also enjoy it. No trouble switching back and forth. 2012 RTL, 2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2014 Suzuki V Strom.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I have a "barn full " of 2 wheelers (WR250r is my favorite). I live 1 mile down a dirt road from my front gate and when it rains for a week the only vehicle that will get me to work is Hulda, my URAL Gear Up in 2 wheel drive. The "transition" to the Spyder RTS was seamless. I am 78 years old and my WR has a Scott steering stabilizer on it to give me those nano seconds to react to a big hit that I don't have anymore like I used to have when I was 18. I have only had the RT about 1,000 miles so far and I really like it.
    intelligence is genetic. Stupidity is an acquired skill.

Spyder Garage

I am 69 and have a F3S and a Ducati 821 Monster. Love the Spyder but I also enjoy riding on 2 wheels. My only issue is finding enough time to ride both. My wife has a RT-S and a Yamaha FZ-07.

If you have time enjoy both!

Spyder Garage

As far as "dealing" goes. Dealers are all over the place with pricing. I wasn't looking to do a long distance buy. Found a dealer 4 hours away in Hanover, PA.. Tammy the owner not only was very welcoming. But very open to, and wanted trades. We received $3500 over wholesale for our trade. And still got $1600 off on our F3 Limited. An additional 15% off anything we wanted. I asked, I had to, for more. She had given us so much for our trade in she had no more to give on the new F3. So there is lots of room for them to negotiate!. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I hate to haggle. Just not my nature. Confrontation is not a problem, I just don't like trying to talk someone down in price. I ask for their best price, then see what it is. I re-ask if that is their best offer and if it's OK, I take it. If not I walk and don't respond.

Local dealer was confusing me (even tho he did not have the Spyder I wanted). He said there was a BRP incentive of $1500 off the sticker price of the bike. Then said that the tax would have to be done on the sticker price, then the $1500 would be taken off ... then uncrating fee, set-up fee, shipping fee, doc fee, registration, yada, yada. When he was done, the $1500 was back in the price plus some. I said I could do a good deal better out of state and asked if he could do better. He said "No ... these other guys just want to dump the bikes before winter sets in". OK.

I left and got a deal ~$3500 off sticker, delivered free with only a $165 doc fee. Plus, gave me a break on the heated grips, and fogs ... and took off the labor to install same. He said he'd give me a good deal on any accessories I purchased for up to a year. I'm good with that. The local guy can sit on the bike.