Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Exhaust leak after install Hindle

I installed the Hindle on my SE5 (only 155 miles so far). Love the look and the extra torque but not the sound, my problem is at where the bolt is on the collar there is a exhaust leak. I check and checked to make sure it was on straight and all the way and also made sure it is torque as the instructions says even took it off and put back stock and no exhaust leak from stock. In the instructions it says to remove the seal when you take off the stock but no where it says to re-use or to get a new one for the Hindle and it does not fit with the Hindle anyway, I even tried to tighten the collar a bit more but still get the exhaust leak even after running for a over 30 min it still leaks. I do not know what else to do and not sure if this is normal or not but I am not very comfortable with having an exhaust leak, any others out there have or had this problem and what did you do to fix it.

Thanks
    Roger C
    burg650@verizon.net

Spyder Garage

Put a 1/8" bead around the slip joint (my preference is inside the female end) of high temp RTV. Then let it cure overnight before running engine.

Clean off any excess that shows with alcohol before it cures or it will turn light gray.

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    I installed the Hindle on my SE5 (only 155 miles so far). Love the look and the extra torque but not the sound, my problem is at where the bolt is on the collar there is a exhaust leak. I check and checked to make sure it was on straight and all the way and also made sure it is torque as the instructions says even took it off and put back stock and no exhaust leak from stock. In the instructions it says to remove the seal when you take off the stock but no where it says to re-use or to get a new one for the Hindle and it does not fit with the Hindle anyway, I even tried to tighten the collar a bit more but still get the exhaust leak even after running for a over 30 min it still leaks. I do not know what else to do and not sure if this is normal or not but I am not very comfortable with having an exhaust leak, any others out there have or had this problem and what did you do to fix it.

Thanks
    Roger C
    burg650@verizon.net
    Last edited by ataDude; 03-27-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Put a 1/8" bead around the slip joint (my preference is inside the female end) of high temp RTV. Then let it cure overnight before running engine.

Clean off any excess that shows with alcohol before it cures or it will turn light gray.

Do I let it dry before I re-tighten collar or tighten after I put the RTV and then let it dry.

Spyder Garage

Put it on, tighten it all up, then let it cure.

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    Do I let it dry before I re-tighten collar or tighten after I put the RTV and then let it dry.
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Make sure you rotate the collar to a different position, and make sure you don't over torque the collar.If the collar is over torqued it cause the flange to egg shape and that is where you get your leak.Had to fix the same leak on two different spyders.
    Last edited by swrafey2000; 03-30-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swrafey2000 View Post
    Make sure you rotate the collar to a different position, and amke sure you don't over torque the collar.If the collar is over torqued it cause the flange to egg shape and that is where you get your leak.Had to fix the same leak on two different spyders.
    What is the correct torque for the clamp?

Thanks!
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

The directions say 24ftlbs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by swrafey2000 View Post
    The directions say 24ftlbs.
    Thank you!
    I picked up a tube of Permatex Gasket Maker Sensor-Safe Ultra Copper High Temp RTV Silicone (700 degrees Intermittent).
    Since, I'm going to do this (remove my Hindle & re-install to correct a small leak), I think it might be a good idea to go ahead and buy a torque wrench, and make sure I get the torque right. I've never owned one before.
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

If you buy the ratcheting type of torque wrench, be sure to back it all the way down between uses. Otherwise the spring can take a set and you can overtorque or break your bolts. Please also realize that torque values are always for lubricated or Loctited bolts, not dry.
    -Scotty