Spyder Garage

Default Did you make your own trailer?

So, how many here have concocted their own trailer to pull behind their Spyder? I've seen a few versions, and I'm considering coming up with one. I just can't see spending over $1K for a compartment on wheels. I'm thinkin' a car top carrier on top of a small utility trailer would do just fine. Show us what ya did to haul your stuff....
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You might want to "PM" 2ndchildhood a/k/a Tom. He built his own trailer and did a dad gum good job doing it.

Chris

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIY - TRAILER

I made one using 1 1/2 " PVC pipe for the frame.....If I did it again I would go with 2 inch....... It comes in 90's , " T's ", even 45's ..... and it is plenty strong enough as long as you aren't much below 32 degree's..... Aluminum is better but costs more especially if you can't weld it.........I did a very simple cantilever with springs for suspension ( Mcmaster - Carr thank you )..... and the Sears X-Cargo super -lightweight Car top carrier..... trailer came in at 125 lbs which gave me 275 lbs of gear I could carry.............Or you could save a lot of time etc. and just get a Harbor Freight ....go with LED lights, maybe better tires, bearings....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Along with the genius here (aka Blueknight) you can type "build a motorcycle trailer" into youtube for a lot of of ideas.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

I have done two. I weld them up, very few bolts. Took one leaf out of the spring pack. Insure the axel is 90 deg to the tongue. If not you get tyre scrub. The Chinese children do not get the attachment points in the correct place. I run the tires at 18 psi cold to prevent tyre bounce.
    Or you can get one at Harbor Frieght around $300.00.. Good luck.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Harbor Freight has a trailer you can build. I built one for my GS a few years ago. I let it go with the GS. I think I paid $399.00 back then, may be a little more by now. I bought a Freedom trailer to tow behind the F3. I really like the Freedom trailer.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

You can build your own but it is hard to beat the sale price of the Harbor Freight Tag-Along.

HF TA Ad.JPG

Mine after some paint (used to match the old red Spyder) & other stuff:
    Tag-Along (Medium).jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I did build. Cannot say I made the under $1k mark though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

Just depends on how handy you are and if it would cost the same for you to build one as opposed to the many budget wise models out there. Building your own will allow you to make mods to suit your needs.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default harbor freight trlr

good unit for Spyder, but in PA if it comes in a box, inspection cost is 175.00 + cost of getting
    it weighted....................

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stag120 View Post
    good unit for Spyder, but in PA if it comes in a box, inspection cost is 175.00 + cost of getting
    it weighted....................

Still cheaper than paying $1000 to $4000 for some of the other trailers out there. I'm sure that those are probably much nicer than the Harbor Freight trailers but,in the end,they still do the same thing.

I know that the Harbor Freight trailer is the way my wife and I are going to go.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

image.jpgI saw this thread and wanted to respond. Went and took a quickie photo.
    On the front deck where the purple purlon cords are, is where the white marine cooler goes. The white tubes are for rebar or tarp pole storage. They have the wingnut plumbing plugs at the rear ends. Inside there is a pistol safe bolted in to keep valuables safe. I carry a spare tire and Jack tools as well.
    The orginal size of the trailer deck was 40" x 48". I redid the deck to 40" x 72" and coated it with marine paint....three coats both sides. The lighting is of the LED type.

The trailer even has a name and you can 'discover' it if you are a Geocacher. It's called "Ooogly Trailer".

Spyder Garage

Default Here are some pictures of the trailer I put together.

I used a Harbor Freight trailer kit. I chose the kit with 12" tires. Took one of the leaf springs out to soften them up a bit. Made the side rails to simulate rain gutters for the roof rack and X-Cargo box that I have had for many years. Fabricated a cooler rack on the tongue and wired a 12v socket under the cooler rack for our 12v cooler. Wanted to use diamond plate for the deck but could not find any at reasonable cost so polyurethane a 3/4" plywood instead. Found a shop that does industrial power coating near me had had the rails and cooler rack done. Using the roof racks makes for some space between the deck and rack rails for camp chairs, tent and the like.
    The trailer has made it to the Black Hills, Spyerfest, Chicago area and several Trike-In's over the past year or so. We have towed it thru heat, rain and windy roads without any problems. Looking forward to BRP's Homecoming next year. It will be dragged along.
    Bev's 82nd B-Day & Other Stuff 029.jpgBev's 82nd B-Day & Other Stuff 031.jpgDSC02692.jpg
    Chris Gammack
    You don't know what I don't know. I don't know what you don't know. All I can say is at my age what I don't know is huge.
    I call the Avatar "The first fifteen feet."

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Trailer 3.jpg

I used the four foot trailer from Harbor Freight, and the Sears car topper. I painted to match the RS, and it pulled really good.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

I have the same trailer as Blue Star and love it! Had it painted prefessionsionally to match the Spyder - it looks GREAT but it wasn't cheap for sure!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​Jeff

2012 RT Limited Lava Bronze (aka "The Bronze Beauty")
    Ultimate faux crocodile seat, backrest , and armrests in cognac-/black, Luggage nets, luggage, drink holders, top mirror, shorty antenna, SENA SMH10 headsets and SMR10 dongle, Garmin 665lm, Tri-pouch, Trunk mount flag poles, Custom Dynamics vent covers, Show Crome Luggage Rack, custom mud flap, Full Size Brake Pedal, Tricled mirror turn signals, LED strips on rear of front fenders, custom highway pegs, BakerBuilt Air Wings w/ Uppers
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Post I made this