Thread: Oil change

Spyder Garage

Default Oil change

My first DIY oil change coming up this weekend. The shop wanted almost $400 bucks for the 3000 mile service!!!!
    2014 STL, any hints or tips? I haven't even looked to see where the oil filter is yet.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Though it is expensive the first service is more than an oil change. I always let them do the first service so all is checked out and known to them to be operating properly and all updates to software etc has been done. After that you can get kit with all you need online or better go to BajaRon here and he will set you up with all you need to do it yourself.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE

Everything you need to know about your oil change is in your owner's manual. It will show you where the oil filter is. If you have an SE tranny you will also need a transmission filter. Don't mix up the bolts between the two filters. The lengths are not the same. Also, you have two plugs to drain the oil. The plug below the oil tank and the plug on the lower part of the engine. Both plugs use a different socket. I believe one is a 6 mm Allen and the other is a 40 torx. But be sure or you will strip the plugs and then be in a world of hurt. (Been there, done that.) Take your time and you will do fine.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Though it is expensive the first service is more than an oil change. I always let them do the first service so all is checked out and known to them to be operating properly and all updates to software etc has been done. After that you can get kit with all you need online or better go to BajaRon here and he will set you up with all you need to do it yourself.

I do my own changes and also do a few for people from our club but always advise them to let the dealer do the first service so they can give the bike a good once over.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac