Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine Codes

hello everyone,

So, I've been trying to figure out how to pull an active code on my 2012 Spyder RS. Every so often I'll be riding along and I'll get a check engine light. The bike doesn't change the way it's moving, nothing seems to be out of the ordinary other then the light. The thing is, when I kill the key and turn it back on the light is gone. So with that said, does anyone know how I can pull this code off the system without taking it to the dealer? Mind you I have the spyder codes app but I need the code to read first. Would love to know if anyone has any good suggestions on how to do that.

Many thanks,

Kyle

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

The thing is...when you get the warning lights you need to use the kill switch to turn off the engine and leave the ignition on. Then follow the procedure in the spyder codes to get the code which will display on the screen. Punch that code into the app and it will tell you what you want to know.... if you turn the ignition switch off the codes are stored and can only be recovered by the buds system...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The thing is...when you get the warning lights you need to use the kill switch to turn off the engine and leave the ignition on. Then follow the procedure in the spyder codes to get the code which will display on the screen. Punch that code into the app and it will tell you what you want to know.... if you turn the ignition switch off the codes are stored and can only be recovered by the buds system...

why in the hell hadn't I ever thought of using the killswitch.... jesus I feel stupid now.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am trying to pull the code to my 2012 RS. When I downloaded the app, and it instructed me on how to pull the code, it showed me which buttons to push. But this buttons on the left handlebar in the picture looks like my 2014 RT, nothing like my 2012 RS. How do I pull the code on this particular bike?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

To pull the active codes only. Note some active codes will change state to occured after the key has been turned off and back on, some after the engine has been turned off even with the kill switch. some for other reasons. So if a fault light is no longer on. You cannot retrieve a code with the following procedures.

If your RS has the round monochrome display screen. There are 2 possible procedures for displaying the active fault codes.
    1. With the engine running. Press and hold either 1 of the 2 mode buttons. Flash the high beams on and off rapidly 5 times within 2 seconds. Release the mode button.
    2. With the engine not running. Press and release either mode button until engine hours appears in the bottom of the display. Then press and hold the headlight overrun button. On the back of the right handlebar controls. Then press and hold the mode button on the back of the left handlebar controls. While still holding both buttons. Flash the high beams on and off 5 times within 2 seconds. Release all buttons.

If your RS has a square color display. Press hold, mode, set and turn signal cancel at the same time. Same as a RT.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, my 2012 RSS still gives me a check engine light and a check transmission message. I have tried both methods of pulling the code, and didn't get anything other than the general message on the screen. I hope the weather is good over the next 2 weeks. I will be taking it in to my local stealer. So far they have been very good servicing my 2014 RT, I just hope they don't tear me a new one on this RSS. Hopefully it is just a simple switch or something that can be fixed easily. Wish me luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Default Join the Club

Quote Originally Posted by sypderrobinson134 View Post
    why in the hell hadn't I ever thought of using the killswitch.... jesus I feel stupid now.
    Welcome to the Feeling Stupid Club, I just went through the same thing with my 2011 RT, Now to get the codes it will have to be done at the shop or wait for them to show up again.
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post