Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RS-S or 2013 F3-T?

Hello,

So, I ride a Harley, the wife wants a Spyder. The issue is I want to surprise her and don't know which to get. My dealer has a 2013 RS-S with less than 2000 miles on it. The customer traded it in for a new Harley. Since I bought several bikes there they will send it home with me for $9k out the door. It has an aftermarket pipe and a tuner plus the passenger backrest. Not sure if the color will be something my wife will like though - Alloy Orange.

I can also get a brand new 2016 F3-T for just under $22k out the door. Color is much less....intrusive - White.

The wife is a horrible passenger so having her ride on the back of my Harley is no fun. My thought is that this would be something that she can ride and we can go places together. I'd even trailer both machines when we take the RV places.

Things that concern me about the new one are:

1. What if she doesn't really use it?
    2. They apparently have very low resale values from what I see.
    3. Is this a good price for an automatic F3-T?

Concerns about the used one:

1. No warranty
    2. Color
    3. What if she doesn't use it?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Trade her in.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Trade her in.
    That would be REALLY expensive...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RS is a great starter Spyper. She can always upgrade later if she finds she likes riding solo. Make sure the RS has the Paddle shifter the manual clutch on a spyder is pretty tough for a female with smaller hands.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Tell her your thinking of trading for one and ask if she would want to drive it once in a while and see what kind of response you get

Spyder Garage

So this boils down to did she ever say if she wanted her own ride,were you listening and how well do you know her? My wife would not like the Orange though I think it is pretty. She would like the White OK. Now RED we'd be off and running,except she doesn't really like to ride very much so it would be a garage queen for the most part. If I could afford it that would be OK as I would ride it enough along with the RT we already have.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lastchance View Post
    Tell her your thinking of trading for one and ask if she would want to drive it once in a while and see what kind of response you get
    Why, you sneaky old Devil...

I'm tucking this one in my pocket, for use at a later date!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Correction. 2013 RS-S or 2016 F3-T

Sorry but it should have read new 2016 F3-T and used 2013 RS-S.

She has mentioned that she wants a Spyder for her vehicle. She is not interested in 2 wheels at all.

I believe that on the RS-S I would need to add saddlebags. The F3-T would be fine right out of the gate. She's not like me who has to customize the hell out of everything. She won't believe that I'm trading in anything though because I just ordered a 26" wheel kit and extended bags for my Harley and they show up next week.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since is easy: get her the F3-T.
    She's gonna love you for it!
    The seating position on the F3 can be custom-tailored for her (via the U-Fit components.), so you can tell her that it was custom-built: just for her.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

F3T all the way!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I bought a 2012 RS in June and just went to a 2015 F3 S SE6. I am the Harley wife who used to ride my own. Love the Spyder. The F3 is much more comfortable to ride.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by berserker View Post
    Hello,

So, I ride a Harley, the wife wants a Spyder. The issue is I want to surprise her and don't know which to get. My dealer has a 2013 RS-S with less than 2000 miles on it. The customer traded it in for a new Harley. Since I bought several bikes there they will send it home with me for $9k out the door. It has an aftermarket pipe and a tuner plus the passenger backrest. Not sure if the color will be something my wife will like though - Alloy Orange.

I can also get a brand new 2016 F3-T for just under $22k out the door. Color is much less....intrusive - White.

The wife is a horrible passenger so having her ride on the back of my Harley is no fun. My thought is that this would be something that she can ride and we can go places together. I'd even trailer both machines when we take the RV places.

1. What if she doesn't really use it?
    2. They apparently have very low resale values from what I see.
    3. Is this a good price for an automatic F3-T?

Concerns about the used one:

1. No warranty
    2. Color

I'd be afraid of the used RS for your wife for all the reasons you mentioned, plus the aftermarket pipes and tuner. Obviously you know your wife better than anyone here, but that bike just doesn't seem to me to be a bike a woman would appreciate as much as a man would.

F3-T might be a better choice. But the price does seem a bit too high. I think the MSRP on those was $22,999, and this one is already a model year old, the end of the riding season is approaching (well maybe not in San Diego), and BRP has a factory rebate going on 2016 models. The dealer should also come down a couple of grand before the rebate. I'd say $19 - $20K, WITH a 2-3 year BEST extended warranty thrown in, would likely be a reasonable price, depending on how it's equipped. I'd shop around a little. Maybe someone more familiar with California pricing will chime in here.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-22-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Why not surprise her by taking to the dealership and having her sit (ride if possible) on both of them and let her pick the one she wants. The F3 and the RSS feel completely different and she would be able to decide for herself.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

I did pretty much the same. Linda came over for the weekend and her new 2011 RT was sitting in the garage. She liked it so much that we put 750 miles on it the first week end. Needed service per the manual on Monday. We had to wait a week or so, so it was serviced about 800 miles past due.

Not an issue for me because Linda was ecstatic. Could be an issue for you if the color or "feel" of the ride is a bit off. My suggestion, let her go to the dealer with you and "buy in" to the impending purchase. Win, Win will be the result.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Aside from the finances, which I will assume you are OK with, I would definitely put her on the F3 and here is why.

1. the F3 has the 1330 powertrain = better mileage (30%), longer range (50%), lower maintenance costs (50%), and more power if and when she needs it.
    2. the warranty and roadside assistance are a huge benefit, although you can get much of that from another policy, but the BEST warranty is superior to anything I have seen.
    3. the F3 forward controls as others have mentioned can be adjusted to meet her dimensions and comfort level, or redone to meet yours because sooner or later you are going to be on a Sypder, just saying!
    4. with the F3 most of what you want is already there, no need to add bags and such, then she can farkle on as she wants and desires.
    5. buying her a new shiny white one will light up her world, why buy her one that she will have to grow adjusted to the color.
    6. she is worth it!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does she really want her own motorcycle. You did mention that she said she wanted a Spyder if so, I would take her down and let her see both and sit on both, and ryde both an let he decide. I am pretty sure she will go with Brand New vs Used! I bet she picks the F3!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

She's going to end up wanting the F3!

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    She's going to end up wanting the F3!
    ...unless, when she said she wanted a Spyder, she was talking about an Audi and not a CanAm.

Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat