Spyder Garage

Default Corbin Seat and Backrest question (on an RT)

Recently put a Corbin seat on my RT. Would like to hear from anyone that has the seat -- with a backrest. I have not bought a backrest (yet) and my wife said to make sure it can be easily taken off when she rides.

Would like to hear from any of you who have the seat/backrest combo.

Thanks

Bob
    --
    Bob L.
    Worcester County Massachusetts
    www.rk-mass2.org

Spyder Garage

Not in my current stable but I have way over 50,000 miles on Corbin seat and backrest. They just slide in and out and work in the pre-manufactured openings behind the driver or passenger area. Stable and adjustable. They worked for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Corbin seat and oval backrest.

I ride a 2015 Coirbin Seat and small oval backrest.
    I find for a larger passenger the rider backrest is tight. If your passenger is small then the back rest will work fine.
    I have carried both small framed person and a heavy frame frame person.
    I find the back rest is a pain in the neck to take off because of the small hex head screw that needs to be unfastened to remove the backrest.
    I also found it a pain in the neck to install the back rest with trying to line up hole in back rest and seat also that piece of leather gets in the way when trying to install backrest.
    I leave my backrest on so now my rain covers for seat do not work as no way to put rain cover on seat without removing backrest.
    I love my corbin seat with backrest. I find using the backrest my hands do not fall asleep now and no numbness in fingers or hands

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    If it matters.

I did not like the Corbin method of installing the securing screw with the head aft and the screws length adjusting the fore / aft position. While not exactly drop in easy, I obtained large OD washers and stacked them to obtain a more precise fore / aft position, AND the washers no have a large contact area on the rubber bumper when the backrest is upright. The Corbin design places all the load of leaning back or letting the backrest spring upright, onto the 1/4" end of the bolt and tries to pierce the seat pan.

As for large or small passenger and the room provided with a backrest. I agree that if the driver is in a reclined position there may as well be no passenger on there. Our setup has myself at 5'10" and wife of 5'6" and we are not huge people people but not small either having a pretty good fit.

I have explained to others if they spend a bit of time dialing in the Corbin backrest in both the Fore / Aft location based on how upright the post is, AND also take a proper Allen wrench and ride then adjust the backrest pad angle for best comfort the entire setup will work together and be more comfortable then just dropping it in and securing the screw. These things are stupid money to buy, quality is fair, but if you prefer a firmer seat and take the time to set it up, it works well.
    It does matter : Thanks for your insight. I was lucky a gave me his backrest.