Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Is there enough power in the 998cc

I am looking to buy a used 2013 rt-s se5 spyder with 998cc motor. Bike has the can-am trailer with it. Are there any concerns with carrying a passenger and pulling a loaded trailer with the 998cc motor?

Also, what are the mpg specs for this engine? Heard the 1330 gets 35-40 mpg. Read you need to start looking for fuel at 120 miles for the 998cc.

Thanks for for any help you can give. I am a former biker in the 70's. Want to start back with the can-am. I am getting older. Retiring in a few years and want to do dome traveling with the wife.

Jim

Spyder Garage

The 998 engine has lots of power. 2 up and pulling a trailer will be no problem. The trouble most people have is they do not operate them in the proper rpm range. Shift too soon, don't downshift soon enough. This results in complaints of not enough power and poor gas mileage. The 1330 engine models will in general give you a little better gas mileage and longer range with a bigger fuel tank. This all done in a lower rpm range.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

We have a 2010 RT, and riding two up we weigh in right at 300#. Personally I feel like the 998 is under powered, so I'm not sure how it would do pulling a full trailer too. I know a lot of folks do it though. Depends on the terrain you ride in as well I guess. I prefer the back roads. Maybe fully loaded, the 998/trailer combo does better out on the big road. Just my .02
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Many think the 998 has more power than the 1330. The shift points are important. You will start to feel the "oomph" kick in at 5500 plus.

We also have a 2011 and Linda keeps up with my 1330 quite nicely.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I had a '13 RT Limited and pulled a trailer quite often. There was plenty of power. The only drawback was, when pulling a trailer, you were looking for a gas station at 100 miles. I averaged about 25 mpg.

It took me about 5000 miles to wrap my head around the high RPM's. Although I always ran it high (RPM's), at about 5000 miles it seemed natural. The V Twin has a "trailer mode." If you always ride in "trailer mode" then you'll learn quickly the shift points. The machine will not allow you to shift early when in trailer mode. And, when downshifting, it automatically downshifts at a much higher RPM.

If you think you and your wife are too big for the 998, lots of husbands and wives have two Spyders (not because of the weight, but because it's more fun for both). Just something to think about in the future.

Good luck with your decision.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's why there are five forward speeds, PLUS the trailer mode!
    You'll have more than enough power to meet your needs!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I can only agree with most here, the 998 has adequate power and it sounds like a proper bike not a sewing machine.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2013 RT. The only time I felt it was short of power, torque actually, was at freeway speeds pulling a trailer. At 70 mph + there isn't much headroom left to really kick it in the rear and quickly pass a semi. It wasn't too bad when I dropped it into 4th and let the revs climb to 8000. But, in any case in that situation it ain't a Goldwing!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I had a 2011 rt and now a 2015 f3s

The 1330s gas tank is only 2 L bigger so not alot.

I get about 350km on my f3s where as I was getting 200km with my rt.

1330 has a 27L tank and the 998 had a 25L tank.

The 998 was not to bad in power. But it's not just about the power. It's how high is the rpm when running fully loaded. When you Rev at say 6000rpm when travelling vs 4000 rpm with travelling that is also alot of extra wear on the motor etc.

If you buy the 998 don't try a 1330. The power is alot different.

The 1330 has a 6 spd tranny. Not a 5spd. So that's different

The 998 uses more oil and needs to be serviced more.

There are alot of +'s in going to a 1330 over the 998. Not just power.

We also know some people that had a 998 with trailer and went to a 1330 cause they got a good deal. And he would not go back to a 998.

Stiff

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default power and the 990 motor

Is there enough power in the 998cc

I am looking to buy a used 2013 rt-s se5 spyder with 998cc motor. Bike has the can-am trailer with it. Are there any concerns with carrying a passenger and pulling a loaded trailer with the 998cc motor?

The power is there; it is VITALLY important to keep the motor in it's sweet spot which is @ ~5000 RPM. The other reason to keep it spinning well besides staying in the power band is that this keeps that clutchless transmission fully engaged so you are not slipping and causing damage to the clutch plates.

Mileage will vary, I drop down to 22-25 mpg depending on terrain and head winds being fought when pulling my camping trailer, which fully loaded comes in ~ 400#'s.

Without the trailer on 2 lane roads I get 28-32 depending on the speed I am traveling.

If you can afford to upgrade to a 2014, all of the above concerns disappear and you milage will improve to ~ 30 mpg @ under 80mph!!! (heard from a good source).

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to purchase.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 with the 998 and there is more than adequate power.

Spyder Garage

Mileage update: the 2014 1330 engines give about 39 - 41 mpg if not driven to hard. I shift at 3000 - 3500 for everything. Linda on the 998 feels she is being left in the dust sometimes. We get a consistent 31 mpg on the 998 when shifted at 5000 - 5500 rpm in all gears.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had the 13 RT and no issues with towing. I had the famed heat issues and that's why I traded for a 14 RT. I agree with the above in getting the 1330 for the reasons also above. Probably a bit more money but resale, I believe will be better as well.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just like any vehicle, you have to match the RPM's to the gear and load. Done correctly, I think that you will be satisfied. The 1330 does offer a little more though.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default Fun Factor....

tDepends on what your looking for...The 998 has 100/106 hp depending on the year with a 5 speed transmission and runs at a high rpm. The 1330 has 115 hp with a 6 speed transmission and much lower rpm. Neither one has no problem running two up and pulling a trailer as long as you learn each ones proper rpm's and shift points. Then there is the semi auto and the manual shift...as for mileage there are to many variables so I don't get into it any more...just the fun factor which is best when you don't nit pick the fuel economy. Cause if you got a spyder for fuel efficiency you failed badly....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Head to head, simularily loaded I raced my friends 2011 with my 2014. I was only a few feet ahead of him by the time we hit 70 so using the gears/rpm there is not much difference. The 14 cruises at a much lower RPM and is torquier when at lower RPM as well. The 998 is a great engine.