Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Truth in Advertising..

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    IdleUp;
    As I understand it, 5 minutes into your test ride you detected a vibration and mentioned it to the dealer. He suggested how to avoid feeling the vibration, but evidently, you chose to ignore his suggestion. Evidently, you went ahead and purchased the machine with the knowledge of the vibration. I fail to see how you can blame BRP for your decision. JMO
    I don't exactly agree with your evaluation; now if the dealer places a sign near the Spyder that reads it may vibrate at a certain speed & the solution is to change the vehicle speed--then I would agree with you. The truth of the matter is that when a customer has a complaint the dealer needs to be more direct & immediately advise same on the issue. Purchasing any vehicle from a dealer is a "implied intent" that the dealer will correct the problem. Waiting until after the purchase is in process is Not the time to state "that's normal" just go above the speed limit or ride it in the slow lane, or downshift & rev the engine higher along with a free pair of ear muffs.
    Now that would be "Truth in Advertising"..
    Darrell
    Last edited by Wildrice; 09-10-2016 at 12:04 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default The "Vibration"

As I am approaching 1000 miles on my new F3, I am discovering the vibration is less of a problem. The dependency on throttle position, roadster attitude, i.e., up or down a hill, and even wind all seem to alter the vibration severity. There are still times it is severe, but as BRP states there is no mechanical consequence from the vibration.

When I evaluate the overall experience of the roadster, the small occasionally discomfort from the vibration is almost a non-issue. I will install the idler pulley as this no doubt will increase my enjoyment while riding, but the fact remains, the roadster is such an enjoyable machine, especially for some of us who are just too old to ride on two wheels, I will ride and enjoy, dealing with any small problems by working into the solution as quickly as possible.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust
    Previous Spyder No. 003008

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
    As I am approaching 1000 miles on my new F3, I am discovering the vibration is less of a problem. The dependency on throttle position, roadster attitude, i.e., up or down a hill, and even wind all seem to alter the vibration severity. There are still times it is severe, but as BRP states there is no mechanical consequence from the vibration.

When I evaluate the overall experience of the roadster, the small occasionally discomfort from the vibration is almost a non-issue. I will install the idler pulley as this no doubt will increase my enjoyment while riding, but the fact remains, the roadster is such an enjoyable machine, especially for some of us who are just too old to ride on two wheels, I will ride and enjoy, dealing with any small problems by working into the solution as quickly as possible.
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, I was born in March 1944. E-5 US ARMY. I skydived with a MarNav(Marine Navy) club. don't exactly remember what I paid for my Main & Reserve parachutes , but I do remember the thrill exceeding the Spyder F3's. I'm thinking the price of the F3's exceeds the price of several quality compact cars that have the same ABS/VSS/ etc but included air conditioning & Stereo, +++, yet without vibration issues--most of the compacts would be faster, handle turns quicker, etc. I also have a 343 rwhp-212#torque on a 1298 cc engine 530# motorcycle. I am in awe by the loyalty of a few Spyder owners, I really like mine also, my wife prefers riding on my F3's versus my turbo Hayabusa--but the Spyder has a vibration problem that interferes with the envoyment you profess & it's one of the job's of this Forum to make BRP aware & correct this issue, not via a bandaid, there is a solution to the problem & BRP won't address rectifying the origin of the issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post

That's exactly my experience and feelings too, MS. I will definitely install the tensioner as most of our freeways out here are 110kph which puts them right in the worst band of 67-70mph. Mind you, I can also understand those who it annoys the crap out of, as everyone has differing sensitivities.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm 20/360 in my left eye... , and tons of retinal hemorrhaging in my right.
    If I could read it...
    Well Bob---that kinda takes the fear out of riding--can't be scared if you don't see the problem I have Macular Degeneration also, I've complained to my doctor & said I was tired of taking all the medication pills; his response was "so am I". Night time rain makes driving anything scares me.
    Darrell

Spyder Garage

Default @Wildrice

I sold my Hayabusa (2006 SE almost stock) at age 66. My year of birth was 1942....OMG

We probably agree that BRP needs to get the solution to the vibration issue solved before it becomes a safety related issue. I say this because when it comes on severely and suddenly, it becomes a significant distraction, which could potentially cause an accident. While this may be only my imagination, there are many issues in automotive/motorcycle safety which have been present and cleverly disguised by manufacturers. Hopefully BRP will look carefully at this and make a correction standard equipment.
    Msmoto
    2016 F3 Limited SS, Garmin 595LM, Sena 10S, Belt Idler Pulley, Custom Cherry Bomb Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Three Things!

1) We would not all be here monitoring this thread if the bikes were not broke.

2) Why is it BRP screws up and we the owners have to pay for their ignorance with lost time transporting our bikes and paying for parts and labor?

3) If you can't feel the vibration or think its going away - then your fine - you won't know the difference.

Regards
    Military Drone Designer & Pilot
    www.rotory.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I guess since Lamont already let you guys know, I can reveal that this is what my wife has been testing for BRP for the last month.

We were approached by our dealer that BRP was looking for testers for their tensioner. She agreed and they installed it. It has worked great since the install. We just did a 3500km trip out to the eastern provinces and my wife says that she didn't feel any vibrations.

I can take a picture of it if you want and post it. When it is on the bike you can't see it because it is hidden behind the side cover.
    I live in Ottawa too. Last year I did a 30,000km trip around North America and this year a 10,000km trip. After 2 riding seasons I have about 45,000km on my bike...would have loved to be one of the guinea pigs for the tensioner too as the vibration is quite an irritant. I wonder if your dealer would be interested in doing this on my bike...or I would simply buy one. Thanks,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default idler kit

i order one from power sports warehouse yesterday 24.49 plus shipping part #219800412

Spyder Garage

Default Yes!!! PLEASE make one for the 2014 RT

I will never forget right after I got my Spyder putting it on the Interstate and just before 70 MPH I thought something had gone wrong. It was the belt vibration!! If BRP will offer one for the RT at that same price, COUNT ME IN! I'D ORDER IT TODAY! I hate that vibration and you can't convince me that problems will not come from it.

Spyder Garage

Default Contrasts

I suspect one of the issues for me is that the Spyder is so exceptionally smooth in so many things, e.g., the shifting with the semi-auto transmission, that when all of a sudden this vibration sets in, it is the severe contrast to what one is usually experiencing while riding that presents the problem. There are many motorcycles which vibrate extensively at various RPM, and yet no one complains about these.

Thus, I can see why BRP can at least verbally state this is "normal" as comparing it to some two wheelers places it at a similar level of discomfort. In any case, my part from BRP is due to arrive in about a week or so.
    Msmoto

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    Do you know the part number for the belt tensioner?
    BRP part #219800412.

There's an adapter available from Doc Humphries for the RT, and Doc (and others) now makes complete kits (aluminum, not plastic like BRPs) for F3s and RTs. I verified with BRP that it does NOT void the warranty. The non-BRP part is just not covered, of course. Even my dealer thought it would void the drive train warranty. They have been educated and will install my Doc Humphries complete RT kit next Monday. Doc is one of the sponsors for Spyderlovers.com. His vibration damper product page (he has install videos too) is http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products
    Last edited by Navy Warrant; 05-09-2017 at 02:08 PM.
    [/IMG]

2012 RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium Metallic (traded in)
    2015 RT LTD SE6, Red Pearl, Ultra Comfort Seat
    MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I installed the BRP idler a few months ago. It works, no issues....maybe a slight whistle at high speed but overall I'm a happy camper.

Spyder Garage

I installed the BRP belt tensioner last fall. After almost 2000 miles there is some slight play in it. The bearing is starting to wear. Good by! It is gone. It would have failed sooner than later. The vibration is not near bad enough to risk a failure of this inferior product that rides on your belt and could destroy it when it fails and it will fail eventually.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Warrant View Post
    BRP part #219800412.

There's an adapter available from Doc Humphries for the RT, and Doc (and others) now makes complete kits (aluminum, not plastic like BRPs) for F3s and RTs. I verified with BRP that it does NOT void the warranty. The non-BRP part is just not covered, of course. Even my dealer thought it would void the drive train warranty. They have been educated and will install my Doc Humphries complete RT kit next Monday. Doc is one of the sponsors for Spyderlovers.com. His vibration damper product page (he has install videos too) is http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products
    I ordered mine from Doc. Today, for my new 2016 RT Limited. I read most of the posts about belt vibration, and have become convinced that is what is causing my vibration, ( extreme ) between 60-75 MPH. My Dealer said his Tech told him other RTs do the same as mine. I had it Laser Aligned, and front wheels spun balanced. Still vibrating. Dealer took it back it, and said they reset the Toe In, but never mentioned doing any thing with the belt, or that BRP offers their plastic single bearing " Fix." So, since my Spyder is new, with now 1000 miles on it, I am not willing to settle for more Voo Doo experiments by the Dealer, and decided to roll the dice to chance my own Fix, based on the reports who have installed Doc's Kit and report definite instant improvement. I will attempt to install my it my self. If I fail, then I'll take it to have the Dealer do it. Riding on the Freeway doing 70 MPH on a bright sunny day getting the crap shook out of me on a $30k Machine, is not my idea of sucking it up! Some times, we gotta take the Bull by the horn.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    I ordered mine from Doc. Today, for my new 2016 RT Limited. I read most of the posts about belt vibration, and have become convinced that is what is causing my vibration, ( extreme ) between 60-75 MPH. My Dealer said his Tech told him other RTs do the same as mine. I had it Laser Aligned, and front wheels spun balanced. Still vibrating. Dealer took it back it, and said they reset the Toe In, but never mentioned doing any thing with the belt, or that BRP offers their plastic single bearing " Fix." So, since my Spyder is new, with now 1000 miles on it, I am not willing to settle for more Voo Doo experiments by the Dealer, and decided to roll the dice to chance my own Fix, based on the reports who have installed Doc's Kit and report definite instant improvement. I will attempt to install my it my self. If I fail, then I'll take it to have the Dealer do it. Riding on the Freeway doing 70 MPH on a bright sunny day getting the crap shook out of me on a $30k Machine, is not my idea of sucking it up! Some times, we gotta take the Bull by the horn.
    let us know if Docs idler works better then BRPs, the same or worse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    let us know if Docs idler works better then BRPs, the same or worse.
    I installed Doc's Kit #3 on my 2016 RT Limited today. I have never even changed my oil before, in my 2012, but was determined to install this Kit. Removing the Tupperware to access the location to install the kit was the hardest. ( for me ) figuring out how to unlock the Push Pins were the toughest. But I worked it thru, after viewing Doc.'s Youtube Videos several times. I took my time, figuring where all the screws were, etc. the Kit was a breeze to install, once the Tupperware was removed. It looked like a real sturdy Kit, as compared to BRP's plastic Kit. But, unfortunitely, being honest, after test riding it 100 miles, at all speeds, 0-80 MPH, I never noticed any difference at all, after installing the Kit. 60-75 MPH range still has the same vibration both in acceleration and deceleration. Doc, via email asked what my belt tension is set at, but I have no idea, as The Dealer had it two days trying to eliminate the vibration, so I don't know what they set it at. But it tracks straight on the back wheel, and feels about the same as my 2012 used to. So, Bummer. But, one more piece in the puzzle to eliminate. I am in contact with Doc. who is thinking about what is happening. Again, the front wheels aren't jumping, only the mirrors and engine compartment, not even the back wheel or seat. It almost acts like the engine Cam is unbalanced!! The V-Twin 998 is supposed to be the Vibrater, not the 1330. Stay tuned for up dates if I get any improvements.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I installed Doc's Kit #3 on my 2016 RT Limited today. I have never even changed my oil before, in my 2012, but was determined to install this Kit. Removing the Tupperware to access the location to install the kit was the hardest. ( for me ) figuring out how to unlock the Push Pins were the toughest. But I worked it thru, after viewing Doc.'s Youtube Videos several times. I took my time, figuring where all the screws were, etc. the Kit was a breeze to install, once the Tupperware was removed. It looked like a real sturdy Kit, as compared to BRP's plastic Kit. But, unfortunitely, being honest, after test riding it 100 miles, at all speeds, 0-80 MPH, I never noticed any difference at all, after installing the Kit. 60-75 MPH range still has the same vibration both in acceleration and deceleration. Doc, via email asked what my belt tension is set at, but I have no idea, as The Dealer had it two days trying to eliminate the vibration, so I don't know what they set it at. But it tracks straight on the back wheel, and feels about the same as my 2012 used to. So, Bummer. But, one more piece in the puzzle to eliminate. I am in contact with Doc. who is thinking about what is happening. Again, the front wheels aren't jumping, only the mirrors and engine compartment, not even the back wheel or seat. It almost acts like the engine Cam is unbalanced!! The V-Twin 998 is supposed to be the Vibrater, not the 1330. Stay tuned for up dates if I get any improvements.
    My hat off to you for your honesty. As stated I have the BRP idler and it was a good cure for the random vibration. I still have vibration as you detailed above. I dont know if its belt or engine but it make my bike vibrate to the point (at times) that the side view mirrors become blurry. When I bring my bike in for service I'll have my mechanic check it out. Being honest.....there are two reasons I'll ditch the Spyder in a couple of years with the first being reliability and the second is that pesky vibration. So far I have almost 7,000 trouble free miles on my bike.........and an annoying vibration.

Spyder Garage

My hat off to you for your honesty. As stated I have the BRP idler and it was a good cure for the random vibration. I still have vibration as you detailed above. I dont know if its belt or engine but it make my bike vibrate to the point (at times) that the side view mirrors become blurry. When I bring my bike in for service I'll have my mechanic check it out. Being honest.....there are two reasons I'll ditch the Spyder in a couple of years with the first being reliability and the second is that pesky vibration. So far I have almost 7,000 trouble free miles on my bike.........and an annoying vibration.
    Road Kill, I put 55,400 almost, trouble free miles on my 2012 RT Limited that I traded for this new left over 2016. Yes, there are little annoyances, and things to keep you thinking, but after riding 2 Wheelers for 40 years until I hit 70 and was having knee, ankle, back problems. I could hardly back my 2002 Kawi Vulcan 1500 out of my garage with out pain. I had put 27,000 miles on it, in 10 years, and put 55,400 on my 2012 Spyder in 5 years, and I was not home 1/3 of the time! So now, at 75, with my new 2016, I won't let a little vibration keep me from enjoying riding, because Two Wheelers are no longer an option for me. So......Doc offered to drive to Virginia to test ride my Spyder, and we have been communicating, and as of today, I think I have my vibration figured out. It definitly is belt tension, because as I said, mine had been Lazer Aligned and front wheels high speed spun balanced at a tire shop. Today, I ran tests on different roads, speeds, gears, RPMs, up, and down hills. I ran each test with the Air Ride Suspension set from Hard, to SOFT, on the Dash guage. Low and behold, the vibration really diminishes at tne SOFT setting on tne Guage! I had it set on the Hardest, before I installed Doc's Belt Tensioner, so I really don't honestly know, if his tensioner may have helped, had I had the Air Ride set to SOFT, before. But, I am not sorry I bought, and installed the Belt Tensioner. No doubt, the F3s with the longer belts will see more improvement than the RTs, but the small cost of Doc's Tensioner is good Insurance and money well spent, for me, at least. I would not have spent $50 to buy BRP's cheep plastic Tensioner with tne single Bearing. Heat and plastic, due to friction, is surely a disaster in progress. But the Engineering Design must be decent, or BRP would have never released their Tensioner. Doc Humphrey has taken the risk out of bearing seizure by his Double Bearing Roller and all metal brackets and components. With the Air Suspension set on SOFT, today, with Doc's Tensioner installed, I had only minor vibrations on hard acceleration and deceleration from 65-75 MPH, but letting off the throttle in between, the vibration smoothed out, and below 65MPH, there was virtually no vibration. So, all's well that ends well. One last point. Doc mentioned checking Belt Tension. I asked how he checked it, and he said he uses a " KRICKET." I looked it up on the Internet, and watched the short Video, and ordered mine yesterday. I will check my Belt tension, periodically, which I expect will change with Air Ride Suspension settings, belt wear, and when the rear tire is changed. Taking tne mystery out of little issues we don't understand, makes the ride and Spyder, much more enjoyable! I plan on riding mine as long as I can climb on it, and keep off a motorized Wheel Chair in a Nursing home! Hope this helps. Cheers, Jim
    Last edited by 007james; 06-04-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Foolish question maybe but: All these tension devises only apply tension on either the top half OR the bottom half of the belt. ~ Don't both top and bottom need tension to alleviate the problem?

FWIW: I also found these the other day... http://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 06-04-2017 at 07:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TRLBLZR1 View Post
    Foolish question maybe but: All these tension devises only apply tension on either the top half OR the bottom half of the belt. ~ Don't both top and bottom need tension to alleviate the problem?

FWIW: I also found these the other day... http://www.smoothspyder.com/belt-tensioners/

Hi I had the smoothspyder installed on my F3 LTD this spring during it's service. I truly love the difference. It does what it says it makes your Spyder ride smooth.

Just MHO

2016 Spyder F3 Limited Special Series

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Road Kill, I put 55,400 almost, trouble free miles on my 2012 RT Limited that I traded for this new left over 2016. Yes, there are little annoyances, and things to keep you thinking, but after riding 2 Wheelers for 40 years until I hit 70 and was having knee, ankle, back problems. I could hardly back my 2002 Kawi Vulcan 1500 out of my garage with out pain. I had put 27,000 miles on it, in 10 years, and put 55,400 on my 2012 Spyder in 5 years, and I was not home 1/3 of the time! So now, at 75, with my new 2016, I won't let a little vibration keep me from enjoying riding, because Two Wheelers are no longer an option for me. So......Doc offered to drive to Virginia to test ride my Spyder, and we have been communicating, and as of today, I think I have my vibration figured out. It definitly is belt tension, because as I said, mine had been Lazer Aligned and front wheels high speed spun balanced at a tire shop. Today, I ran tests on different roads, speeds, gears, RPMs, up, and down hills. I ran each test with the Air Ride Suspension set from Hard, to SOFT, on the Dash guage. Low and behold, the vibration really diminishes at tne SOFT setting on tne Guage! I had it set on the Hardest, before I installed Doc's Belt Tensioner, so I really don't honestly know, if his tensioner may have helped, had I had the Air Ride set to SOFT, before. But, I am not sorry I bought, and installed the Belt Tensioner. No doubt, the F3s with the longer belts will see more improvement than the RTs, but the small cost of Doc's Tensioner is good Insurance and money well spent, for me, at least. I would not have spent $50 to buy BRP's cheep plastic Tensioner with tne single Bearing. Heat and plastic, due to friction, is surely a disaster in progress. But the Engineering Design must be decent, or BRP would have never released their Tensioner. Doc Humphrey has taken the risk out of bearing seizure by his Double Bearing Roller and all metal brackets and components. With the Air Suspension set on SOFT, today, with Doc's Tensioner installed, I had only minor vibrations on hard acceleration and deceleration from 65-75 MPH, but letting off the throttle in between, the vibration smoothed out, and below 65MPH, there was virtually no vibration. So, all's well that ends well. One last point. Doc mentioned checking Belt Tension. I asked how he checked it, and he said he uses a " KRICKET." I looked it up on the Internet, and watched the short Video, and ordered mine yesterday. I will check my Belt tension, periodically, which I expect will change with Air Ride Suspension settings, belt wear, and when the rear tire is changed. Taking tne mystery out of little issues we don't understand, makes the ride and Spyder, much more enjoyable! I plan on riding mine as long as I can climb on it, and keep off a motorized Wheel Chair in a Nursing home! Hope this helps. Cheers, Jim
    I appreciate your thoughts but I am not at the point of "needing" a Spyder. I only purchased my F3s after some serious debating with friends etc, my other ride was going to be a Honda VFR1200X (Sport Tourer). Aftermarket options like Docs gizmo looks very good but I'm not that into performance upgrading. It took a lot to get me to purchase BajaRons sway bar (which worked) but I'm just not into "upgrading" a machine to get it to perform. Again....I don't need a three wheeler (yet) so I can exit when I wish. My thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Badco149 View Post
    Hi I had the smoothspyder installed on my F3 LTD this spring during it's service. I truly love the difference. It does what it says it makes your Spyder ride smooth.

Just MHO
    The "Smooth Spyder" installs under the bottom belt....am I correct?
    Does this mean I can have BRPs (or Docs) on top and SS on bottom?

Spyder Garage

The "Smooth Spyder" installs under the bottom belt....am I correct?
    Does this mean I can have BRPs (or Docs) on top and SS on bottom?
    Exactly what I was thinking/wondering.
    Also, what adverse effects do these have on performance etc?
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have Doc's on my RT... there was no need for an additional one on the underside of the swingarm.

Do they hurt performance?
    Only if you liked the buzziness at highway speeds. It sure hurt THAT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black