Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Strange startup behavior

Every once in awhile, after I hit the mode button as usual and then start my 2012 RTS SE5, the screen will flash and go back to the beginning, i.e., it tells me to press the mode button. The engine stays on, and after I hit the mode button again, it goes to the regular screen and everything functions normally. I can't link it to anything. For example, it's happened when I release the parking brake before pressing the mode button or after (I know there's no reason that should make a difference, but I was trying to consider everything, and that's really the only thing I've done differently in the startup ritual). It doesn't happen that often, maybe at most 25% of the time so far, but it only started recently. The Spyder is due for its first 3,000 mile service since I bought it in about 700 miles, and I intend to get a new battery installed, since I have no idea how old the current battery is. Is there anything I should tell the dealer about this minor weirdness? Do I need to even mention it? Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your battery cables are not tight, or the battery voltage is low. The engine starts, however the voltage dips and reset the computer. The computer thinks it has been turned off and on very fast. I use a battery tender if I know it will be a few days till I ryde again. My dealer included a Battery Tender with my RS-S . If you use a tender, then check tightness of your cables. Or as you say, could be the age of the unknown battery... Good luck...
    Last edited by Deer Slayer; 08-20-2016 at 10:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

The gauge cluster will reboot if the voltage drops below 10V. So maybe battery. Have it load tested. Loose or corroded battery connections. Clean and tighten.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Same thing on my rss. Dealer said it was the battery, eventhough it is driven everyday not enough miles to get a good deep charge, so place it on trickle every 5 days and no more problems.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

I suspected it was the battery. I'm going to have the pigtails for the battery tender attached when I have the new battery put in, so hopefully that will fix it.