Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shingles

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

One of my employees had them. His started out kind of bad, but a tough man... His lasted almost 6 months and was in severe pain most of the time. He especially couldn't stand being in the sun which was bad since he works outside for me. He DID see his doctor because they were close to his head. Yes, they did spread and he did feel worse before better. About 9 months later now, he still says he feels bouts of it every now and then. No matter how much pain you can take/how tough you are, it can be debilitating.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHINGLES

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I'm not going to pay him, for something that I already know...
    I'm just looking for an idea of what fun is coming?
    I apologize for my post to you about this .... I'll try not to say anything intelligent to you again !!! ........ It seems that it upset you .......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Silly boy!!! See a DOCTOR!!!!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Bob,

Go to a DOCTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do not wait, get it taken care of.

I have not had the Shingles, ( and I hope that I don't get them). Keep us posted!

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 08-21-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: added words to post @ 6:02pm 8/21/16

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Does the shot prevent shingles?

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Like someone has already mentioned, it lessens the effects should you get shingles.
    As I understand it, the vaccination makes it less likely you'll get shingles (I forget the percentage) and then if you DO get it, it's less severe and of shorter duration. I THINK Medicare covers it, and the usual big pharmacy chains give it, but I can't swear to that. I got mine at the VA hospital (eventually; had to make two trips, because they ran out before I got there and didn't bother to tell me).
    ​2012 RTS SE5 purchased 4/26/2016 with 15,273 miles. (Bellatrix)

Spyder Garage

Bob,

You're a big boy. I'm sure you can make up your own mind. One parting shot, in the past couple of weeks I see where you try to base what you should do regarding a surgery (knee, I think) or illness based on how others have fared. My opinion, that's not good to do. I won't bore you with any hospital stories.

Mike,

If you read this, I agree with you. SL's is not the place for medical advice.

Spyder Garage

It' great to see that so many care about you Bob.. Take the advice and get to the doctor...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

So far, it's been felt to be an extremely mild case...
    As I mentioned : I have an unusually effective way of coping with pain.
    If I get any indication that it's ramping up to something epic, I'll call in the Marines for support!
    I had my first outbreak at 27 years old (35 years ago). It progressed rapidly to excruciating. I was working as an electronics technician in Germany and found myself acting like a horse rubbing on a fencepost using the corners of equipment racks trying to get some relief from the itching. Going to the emergency room on a military base after midnight got me some harassment until they actually looked at what was happening. In the years after that I have had outbreaks, none as serious as the first, but troublesome nonetheless. And since I am past the magic age the VA hooked me up with the vaccine.

Don't wait for it to get turned up to eleven. It may not be that bad now, but I would think since you are already fighting the diabetes waiting around might bring more serious issues. And for any others who have never had shingles, get the shot if at all possible. If you ever had chicken pox you are susceptible to shingles. And it being a herpes virus, lye soap ain't gonna wash it out.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, my husband and I don't go to doctors unless we're holding an appendage in a bag for reattachment. Bill had a very painful case of shingles a few years ago and, thinking back on when I had my forehead split open down to my skull by a shod horse's hoof and healed it with duct tape and 1000 IU Vitamin E capsules, he went out and found a $5 bottle of Vitamin E ointment by Natural Solutions. It healed him up amazingly quickly and well.

Since then, we've had friends who've gone to Drs for shingles and had shots and meds and voodoo and you name it, and got zero relief. Then they did the Vit E thing and were cleared up every time.

Good luck to you, whatever you do to get over this nasty thing!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you go to the doctor they will give you Lidocaine patches and an antibiotic. The doctor visit took less than a minute, it took longer to wait for the prescription to be filled. The doctor told me that the people you see in the Terry Bradshaw commercial are what happens if you don't go to the doctor when the bumps first appear.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    As far as treating the symptoms: this seems to be a non-issue for me.
    The discomfort (pain is only felt at night...) is pretty easy to take.
    I should mention that I've been a Type I Diabetic for over 51 years, and just don't seem to feel pain the way that most folks do.
    I've also always been blessed with an unusually high tolerance for pain anyway.
    The rash is on a relatively unimportant hunk of my hide, and I couldn't care less about scars; I've put enough of them on myself!
    Most of the blisters (about a dozen) busted open overnight. We're just putting Calamine Lotion on it to make it look more serious! (And I suppose to reduce any swelling...)
    I just wondered if the rash would spread, and how long this whole thing lasts...
    Bob,like you i'm Diabetic(Double Diabetic) on a pump,with peripheral neuropathy so many nerves don't work or are numbed by pain pills i take for my back. i got the shot a few years ago,just in case! if i got it i would be seeing my doctor ASAP as i don't like pain,most of me is numb, so pain stands out.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Food for thought and maybe a little motivation.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...ent-overview#1
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi Bob,

Re: Shingles

I had them a few years ago. I went to the doctor. They prescribed some pills, told me to take 5 each day ( over the course of the day ). One week & 35 pills later, all gone. Has never come back.

Go see a doctor!!!!

Jerry Baumchen
    Had an identical experience some years ago. Put off going to the doctor with the "pfft,what can they do it's viral" Well I took the antiviral he prescribed,and yep,it went away,no occurrence in 16 years.
    Patrick
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) currin20fan's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Shingles

I too had the shingles a few years ago. Before I could get to the doctor a yeast infection settled on top of it and it did spread. I was in total misery. And yes it was very painful and I have a high tolerance for pain. Go to the doctor.
    2015 RT Limited , intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll give the Doc a call tomorrow morning, and fill her in...
    Since I don't want to bore anybody with needless details: it's not spreading, and the discomfort is easily managed by a couple of Tylenols at bedtime.

I was asking about this condition only because I was curious about what I should be expecting it to do to me...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-21-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

let me see if i can describe it.

grab your upper lip with your thumb and forefinger.

now squeeze it real tight.

there you go.

oh i almost forgot,

NOW PULL IT OVER YOUR HEAD

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Honestly: I don't feel that...
    EVERY symptom that I've seen has developed exactly as described in every discussion of this condition... except the excruciating pain! So far: it's noticeable, and that's about it!
    So far...

Spyder Garage

Bob,

Listen to everyone telling you to go to the doctor.

The earlier you get the medication the shorter the duration of the disease.

If you wait and it goes full out you will be in excruciating pain for up to a year or two.

GO TO A DOCTOR

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Honestly: I don't feel that...
    EVERY symptom that I've seen has developed exactly as described in every discussion of this condition... except the excruciating pain! So far: it's noticeable, and that's about it!
    So far...

Key words being "so far".
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based upon the location and size of the outbreak: most of the long-term complications aren't on the table.
    The potential for a bacteriological infection at the site doesn't concern us: We're simply used to dealing with antiseptic protocols over extended periods. Everything is kept clean.
    Scarring? If you haven't ever seen me: a few more scars under one armpit won't make me look any worse!
    Postherpetic Neuralgia (PHN): this is the one that makes me sit up and take notice. I'm carefully listening to what my old carcass is telling me. So far: it hasn't really had much to say. If this is as bad as it gets; I'm good for it!
    But I am monitoring the situation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, so sorry to hear of your shingles problem. Best of luck My Friend.

Spyder Garage

Default Shingles My story

I contracted Shingles 3 years ago on my rt Butt extending down to my knee and spent 3 months in bed
    since I couldn't sit . Having Hip and back issues I could only lay on my back and it was excruciating. After awhile I would become semi numb and I would be able to tolerate it. I was using large Lydacane patches and a prescription ointment and it took 3-4 weeks
    to clear up the sores then the pain really started. It was like laying on a rock on my hip and then the spasms started. My leg would jump about 3 inches with an electric shock every 30 sec all day it was like getting hit in the gut. Each one of those sores is connected to a nerve which is connected to your main nervous system. After about a month of this and using and making up every cussword imaginable and driving my wife nuts I discovered that when my cat came around and I was petting him the spasms quit and when I was messing with my phone they quit. So I spent the next 6 weeks playing games on my IPad . When I quit the spasms would come back. After 3 years I still have the same pain in my Butt and sometimes spasms. Some people are over it in a few weeks and others carry the after effects for life. Mine may have been worsened by having poor circulation in that leg due to having that hip replaced.

My Dr. said that there is no cure and as long as you prevent infections there is nothing that you can do and also shingles affects one quarter of the body at a time. I did and recommend getting a shot. I think that it was about $175 at Walgreens and I don't think
    that Medicare covers it.

So Bob If it doesn't get infected or much worse I probable wouldn't see a Dr.

Larry
    2015 RTS Ltd Spyderpops bumpskid, Dual Isci Hand Brake ,Baker Wind Wings

2016 Polaris Slingshot SL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bob, I started out with an itch on my shoulder blade, it would come and go and sometimes it was kind of stabbing. This went on for 3 weeks - no big deal really then on the last day of Spyderfest I had a few bumps. Maybe 6 total in a couple of square inches. I got home from SF on Monday and went to the doctor on Tuesday. Again, I repeat, he said that the outbreaks you see on the commercials were the result of people not promptly treating the shingles. I never had any real bad pain, it was just uncomfortable sometimes and I used the lidocaine patches and took the full course of antibiotics.

Just go to the dang doctor.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Bob, I'm sure you are tired of every one telling you to see your doctor, and according to you, are not suffering very much. But, if you do see you doctor, he can treat you, and you don't have to worry about it coming back more severe in the future. Do what you want, but you don't need anyone to tell you that. I had an Uncle, tough SOB who had it, and called me to tell me to get a shot. Good luck to you.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

so far: it's been pretty manageable...
    The Blisters are drying up nicely, and the tissue underneath them is becoming much less "Angry-Looking".