Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shingles

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Shingles

...And not the kind found on most roofs.
    Last Saturday evening: I had an unusually sore shoulder blade. I just figured that it came from running the string trimmer for a couple of hours that day...
    The pain persisted, and then I noticed what I thought was an abrasion under my right armpit: I figured that I must have rubbed the area raw with the trimmer's carrying strap.
    Then (with the help from the Missus), we took a closer look, and figured out that my Chicken-pox had been reborn!
    Fortunately: this seems to be a pretty mild case. the area of the rash is about 1" tall, and 3" wide. The discomfort is only noticeable at night.

My questions to those who have already had the pleasure of this condition:
    Once the rash is visible: does it ever grow larger, or show up in other places as well?
    The pain that the TV ads refer to as "excruciating"; isn't! (No sense must mean no feeling! ) But do the symptoms change during the course of the outbreak?

Thanks for any insight that you can give to me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SHINGLES

.... This a Spyder Forum Bob GO TO YOUR DOCTOR for a diagnosis ..... Hopefully you didn't play Shingles Roulette and LOST ....... Terry Bradshaw is NOT Kidding in that TV info spot ....... sending .....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not going to pay him, for something that I already know...
    I'm just looking for an idea of what fun is coming?

Spyder Garage

THAT SUKS.
    i had it a couple of yrs ago and the ad on tv didn't do it justice.
    i had it pretty much where you do
    i think it lasted a couple of weeks.
    got meds from the dermo.
    i hope yours is not as bad.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Several people I know have had it. My brother in law suffered badly with it for over a year. In constant pain. He is left with lots of scares. Currently waiting to be symptom free for more than 2 years so he can get the vaccine. I have never had it but decided to pay for the vaccine. $200 is a small price to pay

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

the way i understand it, the vaccine will cut the severity of the attack way down

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation What You Already Know

Bob .... even if you know it is shingles, you should still go see the doctor (especially if you have not had the vaccine). Reason is, they can give you meds that will help both with the pain and also the duration of the outbreak. There are meds that encourage the virus to go "dormant" again so the small patch you have now may be the only spot you have to deal with. I have had the vaccine, but not an outbreak ... so cannot speak to the effects of the vaccine on severity. I have a friend that started off with a small tingling patch on her left hand and ended up with an ugly, painful, blistering rash clear to her left shoulder in a matter of a week -- she delayed seeking treatment. So, yes ... untreated, it CAN spread and can also last longer -- get thee to your doctor!

Prayers you do not suffer too much and have a quick recovery .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: Shingles

I had them a few years ago. I went to the doctor. They prescribed some pills, told me to take 5 each day ( over the course of the day ). One week & 35 pills later, all gone. Has never come back.

Go see a doctor!!!!

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    As far as treating the symptoms: this seems to be a non-issue for me.
    The discomfort (pain is only felt at night...) is pretty easy to take.
    I should mention that I've been a Type I Diabetic for over 51 years, and just don't seem to feel pain the way that most folks do.
    I've also always been blessed with an unusually high tolerance for pain anyway.
    The rash is on a relatively unimportant hunk of my hide, and I couldn't care less about scars; I've put enough of them on myself!
    Most of the blisters (about a dozen) busted open overnight. We're just putting Calamine Lotion on it to make it look more serious! (And I suppose to reduce any swelling...)
    I just wondered if the rash would spread, and how long this whole thing lasts...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks!

Most of the blisters (about a dozen) busted open overnight. We're just putting Calamine Lotion on it to make it look more serious! (And I suppose to reduce any swelling...)
    I just wondered if the rash would spread, and how long this whole thing lasts...
    Any concern that the missus may contract, if in touch with an area not scabbed over? In any case, heal quickly.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yikes !!! That's no fun at all...I hope it won't last long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I had this happen to me a number of years ago. (Researching a new vehicle) From my belly button around my right side. I called the hospital and asked them what it felt like for your appendix going bad? They described the pain I was having. I told them I would see them in 20 minutes!
    The ER doctor told me what I had and prescribed some pills for me to take. Took them all and it went away after about 10 days.

I would be walking down the hall and all of a sudden double over in pain and slamming me into the wall. I said I would NOT wish this on someone that I hated! It was that bad for me!

I just hope yours doesn't give you any more trouble and clears up soon?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Any concern that the missus may contract, if in touch with an area not scabbed over? In any case, heal quickly.
    That was my first concern...
    As it turns out: you can't catch Shingles from someone who has it.
    But you CAN catch chicken pox! (If you've never had it.)
    Since she had it as a child: she's safe!

Spyder Garage

my old partner had it, he said it was horrid pain. good luck and feel better soon. by the way, they say nerves can bring it out.

Spyder Garage

Oh Bob, I have had second hand experience with no real knowledge but my Aunt, the toughest woman ever to be born, had the condition and she "toughed it out", something I do not recommend for mortals.

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're all scaring me...
    But so far: so good!

If things change: I'll let all of you know that you were right!

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

GET THY BUTTOCKS TO A DOCTOR, PRONTO!!! There is medicine that can be taken to lessen the severity and duration of the outbreak, as others have said. The sooner you get started with treatment, the more effective it will be.

Shingles can start out as a mild case, then turn severe with excruciating pain. Yours may not, but do you want to find out? It can be of fairly short duraration or it can go on for several months. Do you feel lucky? Well, do you?

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor but I did play one in a Cub Scout skit many, many years ago.

Seriously, get it checked out very soon. Shingles can be a serious development. My wife and I got the vaccine last year because of how bad it has been for a couple of family members.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So far, it's been felt to be an extremely mild case...
    As I mentioned : I have an unusually effective way of coping with pain.
    If I get any indication that it's ramping up to something epic, I'll call in the Marines for support!

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Same here too.

Hi Bob,
    I had a mild case and toughed it out. But--- that is not my recomendation. Go to the doctor. I don't trust the medical profession as far as I could throw the. But I think "they" have got the pox and shingles thing under control. GO TO THE DOCTOR.

You know what's comming----------

Shingles can cause::

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

does the shingle shot eliminate the chance of one getting shingles ??

osm

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear....

Not one to recommend, like you I tend to wait things out and trust my body to fight a good fight. Too often you are given pills that require other pills to be able to cope with the first pills and it is never ending....The "Curandero" supplied me with cures while I live in Peru but you don't have them here....Hang in there with caution....you will heal or know when to give into the medical profession... So did you try some XPS blend...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, really not wanting to scare you here, but honestly, you should listen to those who've already said it, but I'll say it again anyway, GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!

I'm not a Doctor, but I've done the Ambo thing for many years, and I can tell you that there are potentially some pretty nasty side effects of shingles out there & even some that are permanently debilitating (like blindness, nerve damage, or even brain damage due to encephalitis!) that can sneak up on people trying to tough it out, ESPECIALLY if you are unlucky enough to be a Diabetic & already have somewhat compromised health!!

So please, do us & yourself a favour & go see your Doctor, even if it's just to shut us all up!! The Prayers & caring wishes we are all sending your way can only do so much, you've gotta give them & us a bit of a hand by letting the medics do their thing too!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How would I know if eye head Drain Bamage?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-20-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Trust me (or better yet, trust your Doctor!) if it gets a grip on you then even if you might not be all that aware of it, the people around you will have absolutely NO DOUBT if you get encephalitis due to shingles, but it's not really something you or anyone would wish upon another living being!! I still have nightmares about transporting patients with this from about 30 years back!!

It can start with the sufferer being a little confused, maybe a tad aggressive or adamant about doing - or not doing something that most reasonable people would (you made that Dr's appt yet?) or even sudden changes in 'normal' behaviour; but it more often presents with just a slightly raised temperature, then a stiff neck & maybe a stiff back as well as a bit of a headache. Then by the time the stiffness gets worse & the headache starts to get really bad, the sufferer starts getting drowsy, double vision, & exhibits an aversion to bright lights et al & then it's pretty much too late for anything but an extended hospital stay & a whole lot of prayers that they'll survive in any recognisable way as the same person!

Still, thankfully that complication is not all that commonplace, & it's probably more likely that a diabetic suffering from shingles complications would instead somewhat advance the rate of nerve damage that their diabetic condition already brings with it. Do your hands or feet get numb or get pins & needles often?? Do you have poor circulation in your peripheral appendages?? How attached to all those are you??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-20-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: I really hate auto-correct!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    does the shingle shot eliminate the chance of one getting shingles ??

osm
    Like someone has already mentioned, it lessens the effects should you get shingles.