Spyder Garage

Default removing the cat.

Befor I do this - does anyone know if it could any way void the Warrenty ?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The company line and the standard line is yes removing the CAT will void your warranty according to BRP.
    Having said that some dealers will still honor warranty work with the cat removed.
    I removed my 2015RT Cat and and love it. I installed Lamonster Garage Cat delete pipe along with BIG CITY THUNDER Baffle. awesome combination.
    I have had no problems with my Rt after removing the CAT.
    I called Big City Thunder and spoke to a gentleman there that explained how his baffle worked.
    I have a BRP Akripovic (Don't bother trying to correct my spelling )pipe and love the sound combination that this makes.
    More power less weight and heat.
    After installing the cat delete pipe let the RT run for about 10min so the computer can tune to your new setup.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Removing the catalytic converter will only void the warranty for the bikes components that might (or would) be affected by it's removal.
    Example: If your horn quits working: you'd still have a warranty.

But if your engine burned-down: you're going to be in for a miserable fight...

Here's a pretty decent source of information:

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default BUT WHY?

WHY DO YOU WANT TO REMOVE THE 'CAT'....??????
    IT DOESN'T INCREASE POWER OR MPG.... IT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY 'HEAT' ISSUES....
    THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO REMOVE IT... SO WHY TAKE THE CHANCE OF VOIDING YOUR WARRANTEE....?
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dan,
    Some folks like to do stuff, "Just because they can..."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    IT DOESN'T INCREASE POWER OR MPG.... IT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY 'HEAT' ISSUES....
    THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO REMOVE IT... SO WHY TAKE THE CHANCE OF VOIDING YOUR WARRANTEE....?
    SPYD3R
    I can't say that removing the cat increased my horsepower, I don't have any way to measure that, but I will absolutely say that it increased my gas mileage.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Removed the CAT (PitBull) on both my 2013 and the 2014. Sound went from a "Meeow" to a "Growl". I like it.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 08-20-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default This statement is incorrect

SPYD3R
    I believe removing the cat definitely improves hp, mpg, and reduces heat. Couple that with a flow thru exhaust and the benefits are increased. See video below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jwvy3xdefns

Baja Ron sway bar w/ billet aluminum Heim links
    Spyderpops bump skid plate
    Providence USB charger
    Ram mount with X grip
    Rear trunk interior LED light and organizer
    Lamonster highway pegs
    Lamonster cat elimination pipe
    Akrapovic exhaust
    Elka stage 2 shocks front/rear
    Ultimate tall boy seat
    F4 tinted windshield w/vent
    Tricled LED trunk 3rd break light w/modulator, headlights, fog lights
    Tricled LED safety package and Tricled air horn
    Tricled laser alignment
    BRP side adjustable air deflectors

Spyder Garage

Default NOT

i don't buy your argument guys.....

i've removed the CAT on my RS, and i witnessed ZERO increase in mpg, or performance.... i've also had others with RT's & F3's tell me the same... oh, i will admit, the tone is different however.... but since i do extended rides; 10 -12 hr days, i want mine to have a low tone...
    i just can't imagine my dealer telling me that i've voided the warrantee on my $25,000 baby.....
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Monkey see, monkey do. Great way to make money on a little exhaust pipe! Real money maker.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Default I'm not a monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Monkey see, monkey do. Great way to make money on a little exhaust pipe! Real money maker.
    The reasons I add accessories to my bike are not because others do it. I do it based on past experience , something that is proven, or because it is something I want to do. If you don't believe in it that's your prerogative, but don't tell me "monkey see monkey do".

Baja Ron sway bar w/ billet aluminum Heim links
    Spyderpops bump skid plate
    Providence USB charger
    Ram mount with X grip
    Rear trunk interior LED light and organizer
    Lamonster highway pegs
    Lamonster cat elimination pipe
    Akrapovic exhaust
    Elka stage 2 shocks front/rear
    Ultimate tall boy seat
    F4 tinted windshield w/vent
    Tricled LED trunk 3rd break light w/modulator, headlights, fog lights
    Tricled LED safety package and Tricled air horn
    Tricled laser alignment
    BRP side adjustable air deflectors

Spyder Garage

SPYD3R
    That's just not true! ...at least not for a pre-1330 RT.

I can personally attest to the facts that removing the CAT on my 2013 RT eliminated a tremendous amount of heat, completely resolved the boiling fuel and overflowing canister problems (long before the heat recall was done), made a very noticeable improvement in low end torque, slightly increased my fuel economy, improved the exhaust sound, and DID NOT void my warranty (although BRP does have a record of it attached to my serial number). The positive effects I enjoyed will not be as profound on the 1330's but are still present, from what folks have reported here.

The truth is that if I owned a 1330, I likely would not do this mod, but I consider it to have been an absolute necessity on my 998 2013 RT. And FWIW, Deer Slayer, the pipe was not all that expensive. Lamont and Pitbull do not make a ton of profit selling these.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-19-2016 at 09:59 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default keep your cats handy.

Given the $12,000,000 fine for Harley Davidson eng tune mod units, our over reaching Federal Government may stick there nose in! I have not removed my Cat on my RS-S just to reinstall it at a later date. Sorry still too much money on the delete pipe. Ride on...

Spyder Garage

Of course you can't image it, because that will NEVER HAPPEN.

AJ
    i don't buy your argument guys.....

i've removed the CAT on my RS, and i witnessed ZERO increase in mpg, or performance.... i've also had others with RT's & F3's tell me the same... oh, i will admit, the tone is different however.... but since i do extended rides; 10 -12 hr days, i want mine to have a low tone...
    i just can't imagine my dealer telling me that i've voided the warrantee on my $25,000 baby.....
    SPYD3R

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Having owned Harleys like forever until 2014, I believe HD was wrong to pay the blackmail money to the US Government.

1. It specifically states that the TUNER is for racing purposes and NOT STREET use.
    2. If it is a CRIME to sell this product, then they should go after Vance Hines, Rhinehart, and a whole bunch of others.
    3. The people they should be going after are those that have it installed contrary to it stated use, but that was too difficult for the FEDs so they targeted HD and HD gave in.
    4. The use of a Race Tuner and having the bike Dyno'd does not NECESSARILY change the the EPA requirements to out of spec.
    5. Many states do not require emission standards on bikes.
    6. Since the Race Tuner does not become part of the bike the FEDS have no proof as to which bikes were tuned and which were not. Even in states that require emissions and if the bikes failed that does not prove the tuner was used, and owning the device does not mean it was ever used.

Fact - it is not a crime to sell the devices - the crime is using them for purposes for which they were not intended. So shame on HD for giving into the FED.
    HD now =s WUSSIES!

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    Given the $12,000,000 fine for Harley Davidson eng tune mod units, our over reaching Federal Government may stick there nose in! I have not removed my Cat on my RS-S just to reinstall it at a later date. Sorry still too much money on the delete pipe. Ride on...

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This thread is gonna be more fun than arguing over tire choices!
    We've already got folks blaming the government for extortion, saying that other companies are doing it, talking the HUGE fines that might (or might NOT!!) occur, voided warranties, and whether or not horsepower and fuel mileages have improved...
    What else can we argue about?
    Has anybody mentioned aesthetics yet?

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1171312 This thread is gonna be more fun than arguing over tire choices!
    We've already got folks blaming the government for extortion, saying that other companies are doing it, talking the HUGE fines that might (or might NOT!!) occur, voided warranties, and whether or not horsepower and fuel mileages have improved...
    What else can we argue about?
    Has anybody mentioned aesthetics yet?[/QUOTE]
    People with too many post. LOL......

Here in the South, if we do not pick on you, we do not like you!
    Last edited by Deer Slayer; 08-20-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I too am with Ann. When I got back from the Deadwood Rally I found the bike needed a little more power for some of those high altitude mountain passes or high speed high altitude passing and in talking to other owners I decided to try the Lamonster bypass. I must say it does add more pep to the engine and the MPG did increase slightly. Without dyno testing there is no proof, but the butt-dyno says it works as advertised.

And, in arguing the benefits of a cat, most people don't realize that they are almost worthless for emissions. The only reason they're on motor vehicles is for emissions in old and poorly tuned engines. They are a legacy device that provides minimal benefits with modern gasoline formulas and computerized engine management systems.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default H-D fine

just another money grab by a government that will not reduce increases in spending
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

I doubt if removing the cat increases anything. I have friend that runs a dyno shop. When I had my 2014 Harley Street Glide Special & there were 3 variations for the Exhaust. One upgrade was to run straight dual exhaust, another was to split off behind the header & run twin mufflers, the third was the stock version which ran thru one muffler & then split off at the very end to give the appearance of dual exhaust--on this stock version approx 70% exhaust exited via the pipe in line with the muffler & the remaining approx 30% exited via the fake side.

Any guesses as to which configuration provided the most rwhp & torque??

Well--it was the stock version--straight dual exhaust came out in last place. This is on a Harley, not a Rotax--but most engines without modified tuning will produce more rwhp as is--it needs the back pressure or the ECU parameters need to be custom modified to match the new exhaust configuration. The pants seat evaluation is BS, reminds me of the time a friend said he got rubber in 2nd or 3 rd gear

I do have the chrome Akrapovic on my F3's--love the sound--get's better after 2000 miles :-)

Darrell
    Last edited by Wildrice; 08-20-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yeah some of us have gone through the era when more "sound means more horsepower" ,was just a perception.

On the otherside I still get amused at the hype behind mufflers; that people are forced to pay megabucks as if they are some magical modern day technology, when simply they are mufflers that have increased in size because of Decibel reduction required by law.

Granted on the outside they may have nice finish, but essentially they are simply a large pipe with some internal pipe, some plates and some fibre wool. No real magic and no real surprize that removing some inerds often leads to increased performance because they are just a legislated add on.