Thread: Backrest

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Backrest

I'm pulling the trigger on a 2016 RTS. Picking up next weekend. I currently have a Utopia on my 2010. Do I pick up a BRP backrest while at the dealership, or install a Utopia later? Is the BRP as good as or better than the Utopia, or just over priced? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by POD KonB GA View Post
    I'm pulling the trigger on a 2016 RTS. Picking up next weekend. I currently have a Utopia on my 2010. Do I pick up a BRP backrest while at the dealership, or install a Utopia later? Is the BRP as good as or better than the Utopia, or just over priced? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    The Utopia is much better.....adjustments available. The BRP is overpriced and minor adjustment available. Pushes you forward caused a lot of pain in my back...returned it for a refund, bought the Utopia, works so much better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the BRP backrest (converted to be adjustable...), and it does a pretty darn nice job! I'm sure that the Utopia is very nice (at half the price!), but the BRP setup just looks better on the bike.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UTOPIA

If you liked the Utopia before keep it a move it to the new Spyder .......Contact Utopia and just ask them to sell you the correct BRACKET for the 2016 seat PAN ........ All the upper parts are the same .....yours will bolt right on ........Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've got the BRP backrest (converted to be adjustable...), and it does a pretty darn nice job! I'm sure that the Utopia is very nice (at half the price!), but the BRP setup just looks better on the bike.
    is there any way to adjust the BRP backrest like forward instead of been at a 90 degrees angle? Thanks
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The newest model of BRP's backrest is now adjustable. They also sell the necessary parts to convert the original fixed position backrests...
    Mine had been a fixed position version, and "we" converted it while at SpyderFest this year... *Brentc manned the wrenches: I just held onto the old parts! )

If you look in the accessory catalogs: it's pretty clear which one you want!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I agree completely. The BRP backrest looks better, and the new ones are adjustable.
    One other benefit to the Utopia: It comes with a bag that the passenger can use to put change, etc in that is accessible during the ride.
    My 2010 had a Utopia. BRP did not make a backrest at that time.
    I bought the BRP backrest with my 2014, but managed to salvage the passenger bag and install it on the OEM one.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are the part numbers for BRP's adjustable backrests:
    Regular seat: 219400679
    Comfort seat: 219400689

These happen to come in Black only. If you want a backrest for a Burgundy, Dark Chocolate, or Charcoal Grey seat: you'd have to purchase the fixed position version, and then add the adjustable backrest support to it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by biker01red View Post
    The Utopia is much better.....adjustments available. The BRP is overpriced and minor adjustment available. Pushes you forward caused a lot of pain in my back...returned it for a refund, bought the Utopia, works so much better.

Amen to that. Started with the BRP back rest and was thankful dealership would allow return. Contacted family owned Utopia for my fourth backrest from them over the years. Great quality. To move forward, the BRP only tilted forward so that the top of the backrest only hits your upper back - no lumbar support at all. The Utopia pivots so that as it moves forward, the whole backrest contacts your back for support from low back on up. On tap of that, the two tone color matched the seat of gray and black. BRP was all black. And top of all that, the Utopia is half the price. No contest! And the people at Utopia are tops!!