Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket Failure

Trust you gut folks, sometimes you get a feeling that something is not quite right. Take a second to check it out. Jumping around on either RT or F3s or F3t left me questioning if I could feel something or it was imagination. Yesterday the splines on the front sprocket had finally worn enough that it spun on the shaft. Less than 9,000 miles. Not happy but the timing could have been worse, much worse. Had I been trying to pass on a two lane road or make a left turn across traffic when it failed I would have been left hanging. It is something worth keeping an eye on. Take a small flashlight and peek behind the cover that is in front of the rear sprocket. There is a small pan underneath that filing will collect on. Additionally since the shavings have become "charged" they stick to other metal parts and will even stand up in the tray. A one minute check could give you an idea if you have a problem or need a closer examination. The failure also explained why my belt kept creeping and needing adjustment.
    Now the waiting game. No dealer appointments until a week from tomorrow and they won't order parts until they see it and verify with BRP that it is warranty. Wonder if this is a part or build issue. This was the first F3s delivered in FL. I only have 9k on it and I know others have more. Curious.

CJ JAX20160818_111807.jpg20160818_110235.jpg20160818_111725.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the warning...
    I'm glad to hear that it didn't let go at an "inopportune time"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default YUP, YUP & YUP

HAPPENED TO ME WHEN I TURNED INTO THE PARKING LOT OF MY CREDIT UNION......
    happened to 2 others that i know.... all 3 of us had it fail around 17,000 miles.... yours was an early-bird....

after the R&R was performed, i looked at my old one, and it looked like 'pot' metal; aka, junk.... i'm a retired engineer, and i'm here to tell you that 'low bidder' parts are 'low quality' parts.... there are just some things that shouldn't be purchased from those people...

best of luck, and ride safely....
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Looks like a good aftermarket part in the making.. I would buy if not too overpriced! What about it Lamonster?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Trust you gut folks, sometimes you get a feeling that something is not quite right. Take a second to check it out. Jumping around on either RT or F3s or F3t left me questioning if I could feel something or it was imagination. Yesterday the splines on the front sprocket had finally worn enough that it spun on the shaft. Less than 9,000 miles. Not happy but the timing could have been worse, much worse. Had I been trying to pass on a two lane road or make a left turn across traffic when it failed I would have been left hanging. It is something worth keeping an eye on. Take a small flashlight and peek behind the cover that is in front of the rear sprocket. There is a small pan underneath that filing will collect on. Additionally since the shavings have become "charged" they stick to other metal parts and will even stand up in the tray. A one minute check could give you an idea if you have a problem or need a closer examination. The failure also explained why my belt kept creeping and needing adjustment.
    Now the waiting game. No dealer appointments until a week from tomorrow and they won't order parts until they see it and verify with BRP that it is warranty. Wonder if this is a part or build issue. This was the first F3s delivered in FL. I only have 9k on it and I know others have more. Curious.

great pics but I have no idea what I am looking at.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    great pics but I have no idea what I am looking at.
    Left side of the bike below the front sprocket. My collection of metal shavings that should have made up the splines of the sprocket.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default Buttercup had that, too!

A mild jerk in the drive chain. The good news is the front pulley is softer than the output shaft, so it goes first. It is much easier to change!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This was a common faliure in the 08 era turns out a lot of the problem was way to high of belt tension BRP lessened the specs and I mostly fixed the problem
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

The failure is the bolt coming loose. Its not the pulley that is the problem. Once the bolt is loose, either the pulley or the shaft is going to fail, the pulley is the easy to replace part so designed to fail first.

Check the bolt torque on that pulley every oil change.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The failure is the bolt coming loose. Its not the pulley that is the problem. Once the bolt is loose, either the pulley or the shaft is going to fail, the pulley is the easy to replace part so designed to fail first.

Bolt is tight. Sprocket part number is superseded by new number. Guessing they made a change.

CJ JAX

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yamaha Warrior from 02 - 05 had this problem it turned out that the pulley lock nut was the problem it was fix in 06, but it usually took the shaft with it. Knowing this I check mine for filings or dust whenever I think of it, also when I got it my belt was at 240, I dropped it to 200, after reading all the posts about what it should be I went to 180, didn't think I wanted that much tension on the drive pulley, also my vib went from 55-60 to just a little bit around 70. So if a few have had this problem it would probably be a good idea to check it every so often, if you reach up behind the cover you can feel the pulley if your fingers come out with black dust better check further.

Spyder Garage

I had it happen on my 08. I keep an eye on the bolt and check it for tightness every 1000 miles. It will come loose. Someplace there is a bulletin from BRP to look out for that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

which bolt are we talking about?

Spyder Garage

Default Pulley

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    which bolt are we talking about?
    Agree, need more help with locating the bolt. An expanded view of the bike with close ups there after. Much appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Agree, need more help with locating the bolt. An expanded view of the bike with close ups there after. Much appreciated.
    In my case the bolt was tight so that wasn't what caused the issue. If you remove the cover (3 socket head cap screws from the front and a push pin type at the top on the back side of the frame pipe) you can access the the front sprocket to check the torque. In the picture the cover is in between the two frame caps. The exploded parts diagram shows the bolt through the smaller front sprocket.

CJ JAX
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post

What is the correct torque?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

A Las Vegas 15 F3 just had this happen to him. Took the dealer forever to figure out the issue.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have been doing a search for part numbers and I can find no superseding part num for the original:
    POULIE 28 DENTS*SPROCKET 28 TH

Are my sources out of date?

The Power of Logic.
    Start Thinking.

Spyder Garage

would this not be a warranty issue?
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    would this not be a warranty issue?
    I was one of the three that had this issue. it happened at about 12k for me. it is definitely a warranty issue. there was a little scuffing on the shaft but not enough to worry about. the bolt loosening up was definitely the issue that caused the spinning of the sprocket. again, i'd suggest checking it at every oil change, or even more frequently. definitely a warranty issue though!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    I have been doing a search for part numbers and I can find no superseding part num for the original:

Are my sources out of date?

I guess. I had to order the part since the dealer wouldn't until they verified the issue and they got BRP to agree it was warranty. agreed to reimburse me for the cost if it was bad and covered. The parts department confirmed the change in part number.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

hey, did you by chance have the belt readjustment to address the vibration?

mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nyparrothead View Post
    hey, did you by chance have the belt readjustment to address the vibration?

mark
    The belt was adjusted twice because it wouldn't track straight. It would move to the inside of the rear sprocket after about 1k miles. Obvious now that the front sprocket was going and as the play in the sprocket increased the belt would move. I don't think that belt tension is what caused the problem with the sprocket but I do think it is a factor in when it happens. I the highest mileage I know of personally was around 26K on a 2016. Others sweem to fall in the 12k to 17k range and mine at 9k. What I don't know is if more tension makes it last longer or kills it sooner. You could make an argument for either way. A looser belt would have more flutter which could shake the pulley more causing an early failure or a tighter belt would apply more loading to the splines and shifting (loading and unloading) could cause an earlier failure. In either case my sprocket is toast I a sit (not so patiently) waiting for an appointment at the dealer so they can examine, talk to BRP to see if it is warranty, then order parts. If I was in a cooler climate and had a limited ryding period I would probably be screaming a bit but thankfully here in FL we get to ryde year round. To short circuit the process some I ordered the sprocket and it should arrive just i time for my appointment next Friday.

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

The F3 and RT both use the same part# for the front sprocket. The RT's are using a substantially higher belt tension, are they having the same failure rates with the splines wallowing out?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    The F3 and RT both use the same part# for the front sprocket. The RT's are using a substantially higher belt tension, are they having the same failure rates with the splines wallowing out?
    Haven't heard about RT problems. The F3 now has a new part number for the front sprocket. Guessing some kind of change? Tighter material spec? Of bigger curiosity is how belt tension played into the equation. As I stated above I could see it either way. In any case I see belt tensioners in our future for both bikes.

CJ JAX