Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bandreassen View Post
    Is this happening to mostly 2015 models?
    Happening on 2015 and 2016 models in the F3 line. I have only heard of one RT model that has had the issue.

CJ JAX

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Had one on an F3 here in Las Vegas. Is this becoming a real problem?
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Torque setting

What is the proper torque setting for the bolt?

Spyder Garage

Default Torque setting

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
    What is the proper torque setting for the bolt?

The torque settings are: 92ft lbs or 125Nm

Spyder Garage

Default Happened to me at 28000 miles

My Spyder is in the shop for this right now for this issue. According to the service manager, this is a common issue. He said that they get one of these a month in. BRP should put out a service bulletin to all dealers to check for this issue when doing any type of service. Lucky for me I was at a stop light when this happened. If I had been on the Interstate who knows what may have happened. I would be interested to know what others mileage is.
    Last edited by SpyderF3-s; 05-17-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Reading your thread has prompted me to check the front sprocket on both my spyder and a friends. I don't have a shop (service) manual yet so I needed the proper torque settings in case I find a problem with either spyder. Thank you for sharing the diagnosis and thank you Bruce for the proper setting. I know you have saved at least two other riders from having the same trouble. I hope you get your spyder back and on the road soon, thanks again.

Spyder Garage

Default Torque Setting

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    The torque settings are: 92ft lbs or 125Nm
    If this joint is loctited I do not suggest you check torque without a fresh application of loctite. Twisting the nut or bolt will destroy the loctite bond...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zuni View Post
    Happening on 2015 and 2016 models in the F3 line. I have only heard of one RT model that has had the issue.

CJ JAX
    My 2016 RT Limited Sprocket failed at 21,500 miles. Just got it back from the Shop a week ago. It was there 2 months before the Dealer repaired it under Waurentee. I lost most of my Summer on the Spyder, but I bought a Harley Heritage to ride diring the uncertain down time. Always wanted a Harley, so the Spyder failure motivated me to buy one. Owning my 2nd Spyder RT has taught me to always keep a spare ride in the garage!
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    My 2016 RT Limited Sprocket failed at 21,500 miles. Just got it back from the Shop a week ago. It was there 2 months before the Dealer repaired it under Waurentee. I lost most of my Summer on the Spyder, but I bought a Harley Heritage to ride diring the uncertain down time. Always wanted a Harley, so the Spyder failure motivated me to buy one. Owning my 2nd Spyder RT has taught me to always keep a spare ride in the garage!
    That is just sad ,two months of down time . Some heads need to roll ,ether at the dealer or BRP .
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stmike 1800 View Post
    That is just sad ,two months of down time . Some heads need to roll ,ether at the dealer or BRP .
    Yes, it was sad, but the Dealer was already 6 weeks out in service Bookings when I dropped it off because the whining and grinding noise was so bad, I thought I had problems in either the Clutch or Tranny. The Dealer first thought they would have to remove the engine, but eventually found the Sproket failure. At the very last few days before I got the Spyder back, I did email BRP, and complained. They reviewed my Case, and awarded me 4 extra months on my Factory Waurentee for my 2 months down time and stress. So, all in all, the Moral of the story is, as most Spyder Owners outside of Canada know, we must have the Patience of Job to Buy, Own, and retain a Spyder, and even upgrade to a new one as I did. The facts are, Spyders are high maintence Technical Vehcles, and the Dealer Networks are scarce, and BRP Factory Certified Techs are even scarcer! But let’s face it,...we need them more than they need us, or the few of us that complain, at least. I just had my Spyder Dealer put new tires and brake pads on my Harley! So, looks like they still own my business,...and like it! HaHa
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze