Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Daytona has Sport Mode - can it be retro-fitted to other models??

It's interesting that the 2017 Daytona 500 model is being offered with a sport mode option. Now I'm wondering if or how it might be retrofitted to earlier models.
    2015 F3 SM6
    Windscreen, bags, backrest, cowl, BajaRon anti-sway bar
    Two Bros exhaust

Spyder Garage

Looking at BRP website the F3 S also has sport mode

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Bring on the turbo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonf3 View Post
    It's interesting that the 2017 Daytona 500 model is being offered with a sport mode option. Now I'm wondering if or how it might be retrofitted to earlier models.

Me too! I was thinking it would be a "BUD's" update? Hope that comes about.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Am thinking that they will see how the intro models sell before they start to make it available for all. Not everyone wants to drive a race car.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since all of the buttons that need pushing, are already there: a programming update might just do it!
    But since this "Hooligan Mode" (Forget about "Sport Mode" ), is definitely going to open up all sorts of possibilities for mayhem to occur: I'd bet that they'll be cautious about expanding it's availability.
    And you WON'T see it in the other models!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

lets assume the worst case scenario here, im gonna guess to get sport mode on 2015/16 spyder f3s would involve a new ECM, gauge cluster and controls, unless they have the sport mode activation within the cluster and not a seperate button on the controls, again thats assuming worst case. im all for an alternative

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ultimojustin View Post
    lets assume the worst case scenario here, im gonna guess to get sport mode on 2015/16 spyder f3s would involve a new ECM, gauge cluster and controls, unless they have the sport mode activation within the cluster and not a seperate button on the controls, again thats assuming worst case. im all for an alternative
    I've taken a look at the Bosch sensor spec sheets and the F3 wiring diagram. As it stands now it appears the various sensors on the Spyder provide a normalized voltage (typical 2.5V) to the ECM. Force on the sensors (eg pitch, yaw, roll, acceleration) will cause a deviation of that voltage either positive or negative (eg from .5V to 4.5V). Depending on the level of deviation, the ECM will initiate a programmed response, as in applying brake(s) and stuttering the ignition or cutting throttle.

There are a few ways to get around this. One is install an outboard amplifier that spoofs the sensor's signal to the ECM, either maintaining a constant 2.5V (complete bypass) or a reduced deviation (desensitize).

A second way is to relocate the primary yaw sensor from its higher location down to the frame backbone, thus reducing the motion effect and the subsequent level of voltage change.

The third way, which I'm sure BRP has employed, is to reprogram the ECM to either allow a greater range of sensor signal deviation before a response is initiated or modifying the type and or level of response.

Having said all that, based on the Sport Mode advertising, BRP has the coding for this ECM change, but whether or not we can get access to it, for a reflash of our current machines is yet to be determined.

I know there are quite a few that like the "nanny" as is, I just would like some choice and based on the new Sport Mode models, others must too.

cheers,
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2023 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Moved post title...
    2015 F3 SM6
    Windscreen, bags, backrest, cowl, BajaRon anti-sway bar
    Two Bros exhaust

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't worry about Sport Mode, just keep the stock silencer & get a Lamonster pipe and baffle - better performance and sound.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2023 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

I guess I'm not seeing this as some major benefit. As one of original 'Huligans' out here , I like to tear it up as much as the next guy (ask those who've ridden with me ), and I'm not really thinking this sport mode would be used that much or practical for on-road riding. I mean, how often do you do donuts in parking lots?

My understanding is this is simply allowing the rear tire to spin regardless of the position of the front wheels (turned, etc.). Right now you can spin the rear as long as you remain straight... well.... the front wheels I should say.

This probably could be flashed onto older F3's to update them, but I'm doubting BRP is gonna do that... they want you to buy the latest and greatest.

This could also be done by various bypass methods like some of us played with on the GS/RS models.

I think I'll pass on this and just get a plain old F3's... hopefully SOON.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonf3 View Post
    I've taken a look at the Bosch sensor spec sheets and the F3 wiring diagram. As it stands now it appears the various sensors on the Spyder provide a normalized voltage (typical 2.5V) to the ECM. Force on the sensors (eg pitch, yaw, roll, acceleration) will cause a deviation of that voltage either positive or negative (eg from .5V to 4.5V). Depending on the level of deviation, the ECM will initiate a programmed response, as in applying brake(s) and stuttering the ignition or cutting throttle.

There are a few ways to get around this. One is install an outboard amplifier that spoofs the sensor's signal to the ECM, either maintaining a constant 2.5V (complete bypass) or a reduced deviation (desensitize).

A second way is to relocate the primary yaw sensor from its higher location down to the frame backbone, thus reducing the motion effect and the subsequent level of voltage change.

The third way, which I'm sure BRP has employed, is to reprogram the ECM to either allow a greater range of sensor signal deviation before a response is initiated or modifying the type and or level of response.

Having said all that, based on the Sport Mode advertising, BRP has the coding for this ECM change, but whether or not we can get access to it, for a reflash of our current machines is yet to be determined.

I know there are quite a few that like the "nanny" as is, I just would like some choice and based on the new Sport Mode models, others must too.

cheers,
    I'm with Jimmy Buffet on this one..."I'm just a carbon-based caveman...just flesh and bone" JB
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2023 at 06:33 PM. Reason: :
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case

Spyder Garage

Any info on the Sport Mode/Retro fit???

I know the question has been asked but with the new info passed out over the last few days, has anyone gotten a definitive answer???
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2023 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text after merge - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why don't you check with your dealer? They might have heard something about this at the unveiling.

Spyder Garage

Ok, so now that's out of the way, anyone know the answer?

Ant

Spyder Garage

This is only a guess on my part, but I believe the sport mode is just a means of disabling the TRACTION CONTROL
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This is only a guess on my part, but I believe the sport mode is just a means of disabling the TRACTION CONTROL
    Sounds right to me in an earlier post Lamonster's computer guy disabled it in BUDS so they could do a Dyno run on a 15 F3

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing it would require a change of the instruments too if it was an offical update. My reasoning is that in one of the videos it showed a light in the intrument cluster coming on to indicate sport mode activated.

If the pre 2017s don't have this light (and I don't think they have) I can't see us getting it officially without the updated cluster.

I.E. I don't think BRP would want us to have it activated, without a light being on to tell us it's activtaed, from a liability point of view.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

The service manager at my dealer said they should be coming out with an update to do this on previous years. But it won't be anytime soon. As they want the 17s to sell. And this feature right now in appealing to some people.

And I believe every cluster has this light. They are all the same clusters. Previous yrs just don't have a way to activate it. "I think"

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Sounds quite positive so far?

Ant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    And I believe every cluster has this light. They are all the same clusters. Previous yrs just don't have a way to activate it. "I think"
    Ahh, that wuold be encouraging. Next time I'm on it I'll hve a good look at the panel. You can usually see where lights are even if the're not lit.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

I'm guessing it does more than just alter the tc. My sport mode on my skidoo changes the torque curve making a very noticeable difference in acceleration over standard mode.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that Lamont addressed the indicator light topic in the original introduction video...
    Didn't he say that you would have a warning light lit up?
    It that's the case: the bike has everything that it needs, except for the programming update!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I recently purchased a 2016 Can Am Spyder F3S. It was love at first sight. But now the 2017 F3 has Sport Mode.
    I really hope that there will be a way that I can upgrade my F3 with Sport mode. It should just be a computer update where it disables the traction control. I have tried calling Can Am and BRP but all I get is customer service who can't give an answer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2023 at 06:39 PM. Reason: .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The answer is... it can't be done... yet!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Convic80 View Post
    I recently purchased a 2016 Can Am Spyder F3S. It was love at first sight. But now the 2017 F3 has Sport Mode.
    I really hope that there will be a way that I can upgrade my F3 with Sport mode. It should just be a computer update where it disables the traction control. I have tried calling Can Am and BRP but all I get is customer service who can't give an answer.
    It's really not that big of deal.. more of a sales gimmick. Yes.. technically the 2016 could be 'upgraded' via software to do it.. but how many burnouts does one really need to do?

The F3 can get sliding sideways while spinning the rear tire just fine without the sport mode....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!