Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Cares, please comment on the new line up.

I'm asking BRP for a comment on the new line up and the discontinued models, as this is a topic that is important to many here.

Personally, I'm not an RS or ST rider, so the change doesn't affect me. I'm sure the change was one of business necessity, but I would like to understand more.

I'm hoping that he'll be nice enough to comment on the change, and that we will (in this thread at the very least) respond in a way that encourages more communication in the future. That means being kind and respectful, even if we disagree, and that we will keep the thread limited to understanding their plans and philosophy now, and over the coming years.

(I'm letting him know I started this thread by way of his email.)
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default Well....

Well, I would if I could but I can't so I won't but would love to hear their plans and phylosophy...They do watch closely but from what I have seen we make little impact therefore little difference....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Nice try, but I don't think you will see such a subject discussed by BRP Cares. I will have a crow sandwitch if I am wrong though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It'd be foolish for them to tell us their future plans...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

True. Besides I'm not sure that the After Sales Support guys would even be qualified to comment with any authority about strategic marketing plans. As Steve has said on various occasions... It's a big company.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    True. Besides I'm not sure that the After Sales Support guys would even be qualified to comment with any authority about strategic marketing plans. As Steve has said on various occasions... It's a big company.
    I had also thought of mentioning about marketing people commenting. But then...they would have to let the cat out of the bag...and not be able to surprise us like they did at the grand event in Sturgis.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

My guess will be that 2018 will bring an all new st and rs model. So Brp won't be posting on here to give anything away.

The F3's are definitely a nice bike. But Brp will want to appeal to all. So a bet a new design for those others models will come. And after that. A couple years and the f3 will be new. Etc. They can't do everything at once.

Stiff

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

In my conversions with BRP, they indicated that the ST was supposed to appeal to both the sporting crowd and the touring crowd, and it did neither. It did not appeal to the sport crowd because the seating position was NOT aggesive enough, and it was too aggresive for the touring crowd. It just had NO market share! They just didn't sell any and the numbers on this forum bear that out. Hands down the RT is the ruler of the roost. Now the overwhelming response to the 2014 RT with the new drive train sealed the deal for the 998 and RS. The improved performance from the 1330 made it a priority or find a more sporty framework to put it in. Then Came the F3 which is already more popular than the ST, and I am sure has sold more new units than the RS and ST combined. I have heard that the Spyder still is not a money maker so they have to go with what sells. Interesting that in the US only 5% of the population are Motorcycle riders. BRPs market strategy is to go after the other 95% of the population and, they have a platform to do that with the Y factor! So sport riders, and Sport touring riders are not in the target demographic and if the vehicles they desire are not selling, they are gone!

I am truly sorry but while their maybe other offering in the upcoming years, those models just have run their course!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    My guess will be that 2018 will bring an all new st and rs model. So Brp won't be posting on here to give anything away.

The F3's are definitely a nice bike. But Brp will want to appeal to all. So a bet a new design for those others models will come. And after that. A couple years and the f3 will be new. Etc. They can't do everything at once.

Stiff

That would be my guess as well. If you look at the website, they haven't eliminated sales of the RS and ST, just the 2017 model year. You can still buy the 2016 model year.
    I expect they have a supply of RS and ST that they will sell off over time.
    When the stock is depleted, they'll make some more, perhaps redesigned to accept the 1330 engine.
    This way they can redesign those models in a proper fashion and avoid the problems they had with the 2013 RT, ie a Vtwin engine in a 1330 chasis.

I'm speculating. I don't have any more information than anyone else.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Well, my guess there is an F3.5 in the works, then an F4, then and F4.1, F5 and so on. Heck, there may even be the brand new 3WD drive version.
    Last edited by deer30084; 08-18-2016 at 06:34 AM.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Default Age a Factor

I'm 63 years of age and can no longer fold my body into a racing tuck. I think most buyers are more inclined towards cruiser & touring models because comfort becomes the most important factor as we age. The sales figures bear this out for buyers in their late forties and up. These are also the people who have raised their kids and now have more disposable income for recreational use. I'm looking at the F3 Limited or F3T primarily for the comfort factor.

Spyder Garage

I am 61 now and the comfort of my F3S greatly outweighs the agility of my former GS. BRP is just looking at market trends, and we are an aging demographic.
    To God Be The Glory!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Left field

I may be in left field. I can not ryde the F3 fue to forward controls. I have read others with back problems that have the same problem. I ryde the RS-S so I can stand on the pegs to prevent that big ole rear wheel from pounding my spine. Yeah, I know U-fit, but does not come back far enough as to allow one to relieve pressure on the spine. There are many folks don't like or can use forward controls (birthing position ). I think the U-fit can be modified to slide the pegs far enough back, I have been working up a design for me. We will have to see. The F3 getting slower with all the added weight. The RS-S in 0 to 60 is faster due to light weight. The 1330 eng in the RS-S frame would be fun. Ryde on ya'll.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    The improved performance from the 1330 made it a priority or find a more sporty framework to put it in. Then Came the F3 which is already more popular than the ST, and I am sure has sold more new units than the RS and ST combined.
    I think that a large reason that the F3 is more popular than the RS & ST is because of the drive train. If they had the 1330 in either the RS or ST, that would definately be my bike of choice. But that is just my opinion. As for the F3, love the drivetrain, don't like the looks, and still not sure about the riding position.
    But if history is any indicator, I will probably have a F3T in the next couple of years, unless they do put the 1330 into the ST.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    I may be in left field. I can not ryde the F3 fue to forward controls. I have read others with back problems that have the same problem. I ryde the RS-S so I can stand on the pegs to prevent that big ole rear wheel from pounding my spine. Yeah, I know U-fit, but does not come back far enough as to allow one to relieve pressure on the spine. There are many folks don't like or can use forward controls (birthing position ). I think the U-fit can be modified to slide the pegs far enough back, I have been working up a design for me. We will have to see. The F3 getting slower with all the added weight. The RS-S in 0 to 60 is faster due to light weight. The 1330 eng in the RS-S frame would be fun. Ryde on ya'll.
    I've never raced my f3s against my buddies rss. But would be fun.

But I do agree with you. Their are lots out there who prefer the rss over the f3.

Hence why they still sell crotch rocket bikes for not only race. Not everyone wants a cruiser.

My buddy is in his 40s. Loves his 2012 rss. If they had a 1330 in rss he would buy new in a heart beat. But won't sell his rss until.

They need to redesign the rss for the other part of the market.

They need to make a spyder that appeals to the younger crowd. And priced right.

F3s is sweet. But not all young guys want that.

Stiff

2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I suspect a new sport model based on the F3 frame. The lower center of gravity combined with a sport riding position. It would not take that much effort to move the foot controls the the midship position.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deer30084 View Post
    Well, my guess there is an F3.5 in the works, then an F4, then and F4.1, F5 and so on. Heck, there may even be the brand new 3WD drive version.
    3WD...now that would be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Well, since I only made my first payment on my F3, I think I'll wait til at least 2020 and, if I'm still alive, take a look at the F5T. In the mean time, I'll ride and dress up my F3.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Default Remember

If what I am told I'd true, the Spyder line is still not a money maker! When I heard that, my concern was how much longer will BRP endure losing money on a product line. The success or failure of this product line depends on how successful they are in penetrating the 95% of the American market that DOES NOT currently ryde motorcycles. They don't really care about sport bike riders, they care about those people that have always wanted to ride a motorcycle but weren't comfortable on two wheels. That is why the RT or similar models to follow will always be their market leader. That is why they added the top trunk to the F3. Do you know that they are going to be targeting CAR shows more? Why do you think they are so closely aligned with NASCAR? Because they are going after a new market. Not the 5% that ride motorcycles, a market flooded with Honda, Harley, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph, Vision, Indian, Suzuki, etc etc etc. they want to dominate the rest of the buying public. So,and I hope I am wrong, we may be seeing the Spyder line of the future today. However, I do believe there will be an entry level Spyder introduced, perhaps in June 2107! Interesting times!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After all: they're not doing this for their health, or for our enjoyment. They do this to make money.

Spyder Garage

From what I can see, there are very few Spyders in the Tallahassee, FL area. I don't see that many on the road, but I could be wrong. When I am out there ryding around and when I go to the gas station, it generates a lot of interest. Just being seen on a Spyder is advertising for them. When I was shopping a few months ago, the biggest turn off for me was the price. $31,000.00 for an RT for me was out of the question. In fact, so was $ 25,000.00. I'm staring retirement in the face and I am not rich. But when the dealer mentioned leftover 2015's and the price weeeeellllllll, I am now a Spyder ryder.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

Blue Ridge Windshield
    H4 LED Headlights
    Easy Brackets
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Default In Fact

BRP has been conducting "private sales" in Florida and California. The concept is if some one has touched the BRP website in anyway expressing interest in a Spyder in either of those states, they are being invited to a private sales event at the local dealer. BRP has contacted local Ryding groups to participate in these events to act as Spyder Ambassadors. Our local chapter of SRA has been leading Demo rydes all over Northern California for the last couple of months. We take these folks and show them the ropes, lead them through the country side and answer questions. Then they speak to a sales person. If these events prove successful, you are not going to see the big BRP Semi full of spyders anymore. They have been dropping a few RTs and F3s (no RS or ST) and then pick them up after the demo weekend. Why Florida and California you ask? Because the sales of units in those two states are not what they should be when you consider the population and the year round Ryding conditions!

Spyder Garage

I am not suprised that they dropped those bikes but really hope they are working on an " entry level" spyder for those of us who are not able to drop 30k on a 6-8 month luxury. i love my gs but would already have an f3t if i could afford it