Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Fluorescent lights in Heat & Humidity

Every summer I have two fluorescent shop lights that either won't start or take 5 to 20 minutes to start, so the other day I received a $20. debit card from Home Depot didn't have a use for it that I could think of, went to the garage turned on the light and of course no light (the card) !! got looking and found LED conversion ( a best find ) Have to rewire fixture (easy) and install new bulbs, that takes the work when I feel like it ballast out of the fixture, and the new bulbs should last the rest of my lifetime. Highly recommended and brighter light.
    Last edited by Lastchance; 08-16-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can you explain what it took to "re-wire the fixture"?
    I've got an office full of fluorescents (13 of them! ), and it'd be nice to get rid of them.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-16-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Can you explain what it took to "re-wire the fixture"?
    I've got an office full of fluorescents (13 of them! ), and it'd be nice to get rid of them.

What he asked
    i've got a few in the shop that won't light in the winter

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know that they don't like cold weather...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here's a couple quickie installs, but there are all kinds of video's on youtube and I'm sure you could find one just like your fixture and it's really not as hard as it may look.
    A decent bulb starts at $20. ea but worth it I think instant start no hum or buzz, but I'm sure you would get a better bulk price.
    http://www.toggled.com/installation-instructions.aspx

Last edited by Lastchance; 08-16-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Spyder Garage

Costco has LED replacement bulbs for any 4' florescent fixture that do not require any rewiring. They are around 40 for a pair. For 30.00 they will sell you a brand new 4' LED shop light fixture that you just hang and plug in. nothing else to buy. Of course you need a plug wired to near where the fixture will go.
    Last edited by AY4B; 08-16-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Costco has LED replacement bulbs for any 4' florescent fixture that do not require any rewiring. They are around 40 for a pair. For 30.00 they will sell you a brand new 4' LED shop light fixture that you just hang and plug in. nothing else to buy. Of course you need a plug wired to near where the fixture will go.
    I believe the lights that don't require rewiring need a fixture with an "electronic ballast" in them. Cheaper and / or older florescent fixtures will not work with them.

Read the instructions before you buy.

I didn't and had to update my fixture for those bulbs.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought this at SAMs Club, very pleased with it. It comes pre wired with a plug, so I simply pulled the light circuit wiring out of the old fixture and installed an outlet next to the light. I like that the new fixture comes with a pull chain, which is perfect for me in my laundry room.

Don't stare at the light when you turn it on. It will burn out your retinas.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led...art_view_87846

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is great! Soon, I'll be playing with the wiring in the office and house!

Uh-Oh...

maxresdefault.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-16-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This is great! Soon, I'll be playing with the wiring in the office and house!

Uh-Oh...

maxresdefault.jpg

Stick to the plug and play types....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I recently did a job where I pulled all the sheet rock and put up a wood ceiling in a garage with 6 of those LED shop lights, and another one with 8 or 9 I think. They are pretty bright!
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I'm hoping that they will come out with LED 8' tubes,i have 4 of them in my shop and 2 in front garage!
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tobor9 View Post
    I'm hoping that they will come out with LED 8' tubes,i have 4 of them in my shop and 2 in front garage!
    The 4 foot fixtures are linkable, meaning you can daisy chain them together.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I guess I just do not see the advantage to spending more money for less light. Don't get me wrong, I have LED lighting all over inside the house but use them where dimming and spot fixtures the LEDs have replaced halogen and incandescent lights.

There is very little energy efficiency difference between fluorescent and LED. Definitely not enough to cover the cost of replacement. This thread started off talking about fluorescent fixtures that would not start in heat or cold or humidity. Modern electronic ballasts have pretty much solved those problems and are included in even the cheapest of $15 shop light fixtures.

LED lighting makes lots of sense in many applications but replacement of fluorescent shop lighting is not really one of them. Just my opinion. Then again its not always about cost justification. Sometimes its more about desire. This is a Spyder forum so we all know about that.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I have some nice florescent fixtures in my shop. They have T8 bulbs but they are still dim and also take time to warm up to full brightness compared to the LED shop lights I got on my add on room.
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I have fluorescent lamps in my garage. They don't work very well. I would have to spend $600 for a ladder just to work on them or change the bulbs. That's not going to happen.
    So, I bought some hanging shop light LED units at Lowe's almost two years ago. I had to special order some for me as they were a new item that sold out nation wide when introduced! Each one has a pull chain so I can just use the one(s) I need when working in the garage.

My game plan is to disconnect the fluorescent lamps and have power cords hang down with a multi-plug, to plug the LED shop lights into. That way they will be on the light switch.
    They are now plugged into the wall sockets.