Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F3 Rear Tires

Spyder Garage

Default F3 Rear Tires

What rear tire options are available for the F3?

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

The rear tire on all Spyder models and years is the same size so you have the same options as all other Spyders.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE OPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar View Post
    Unless the rear fender is very close to the OEM tire the General Altimax RT 43 in 215/60-15 would be an excellent alternative ......Mike

Spyder Garage

The correct F3 rear tire size is a 225/50 r15 either use a Toyo or Kumho for good grip and wear, do not go back to the Kenda its grap

Spyder Garage

I've been pretty happy with the increased traction and high quality provided by the Yokohama S-Drive I have on my F3S. I have installed a good number of these for customers. They generally balance with less than 1 oz. Have had several that needed zero weights. Great high performance tire option for the spyders.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

This will be my next tire

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I've been pretty happy with the increased traction and high quality provided by the Yokohama S-Drive I have on my F3S. I have installed a good number of these for customers. They generally balance with less than 1 oz. Have had several that needed zero weights. Great high performance tire option for the spyders.
    Which size exactly? Thx.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny pop View Post
    Which size exactly? Thx.
    205/55 ZR15

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    This will be my next tire

Looks like a great option. Unfortunately its not available in the US.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Looks like a great option. Unfortunately its not available in the US.
    I had purchased one when they were still available here but didn't get it installed before my 13 burned. I wound up selling it to a friend since I wasn't sure if the 14 was going to have the same tire size. She still has it on her Spyder and says it handles great and has worn well. I wish they sold them here still.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Edit - it was a 16" I found - bloody google!!

Can't find them in the UK, the T1-R is more common here and could well be my next rear tire.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

Ahh. Crappy

2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I like the experience you have wrote about. It speaks volumes about what to expect. The idea of little or no weights is a real plus. Could you tell me a good source to acquire this tire please? My original tire is junk, wear bars were showing in the middle of the tire after 4,000 miles. The fronts are ok, but I might change them out too. What suggestions do you have for them?

Spyder Garage

I like the experience you have wrote about. It speaks volumes about what to expect. The idea of little or no weights is a real plus. Could you tell me a good source to acquire this tire please? My original tire is junk, wear bars were showing in the middle of the tire after 4,000 miles. The fronts are ok, but I might change them out too. What suggestions do you have for them?
    I cant find the s drive in 225/50/15. Just 205/50/15 or 205/55/15.

Any ideas?

2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I was strongly considering Yokohama s drive but was told by the Can-Am dealer the beads are different on the car tires and don't fit correctly.
    Do you think they're just feeding me a line of

Spyder Garage

I cant find the s drive in 225/50/15. Just 205/50/15 or 205/55/15.

Any ideas?
    205/55 ZR15
    Answer is as above from JC. To cut a lot of threads short, the Yoko S-Drive 205/55/15 works out almost exactly the same size as the OEM Kenda 225/50/15 when fitted.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

We purchase through an arrangement with Discount Tire. They supply the tire and mount on bare rim. We do the balance and install on the bike. Discount is not equipped to R&R the rear rim on a Spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JIM W View Post
    I was strongly considering Yokohama s drive but was told by the Can-Am dealer the beads are different on the car tires and don't fit correctly.
    Short answer - yes. Again, to summarise lots of threads on here over the years, the spyder wheels have exactly the same bead as car wheels. They are not M/C wheels.

The OEM Kenda tyre are 'badged' as M/C tyres but are in fact car tyres in how they fit the rim. Construction of the tread I don't know about, but if I was to guess would say they are are a car tire effectively.

The upshot of all this is you can fit car tyres if you want, but your dealer may refuse to fit them for you. Hence all the tutorials/videos on how to remove the back wheel yourself.

I for one will be doing my own rear tire change when the time comes and fitting either the S-Drive or a Toyo. I really like JCs idea of an R888 if we can get a size to fit. R888s run big in my experience from the Mitsubishi EVO tuning scene.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JIM W View Post
    The bead profiles on Can-Am rims ARE MADE for car tire beads!!

Car tires will & do fit perfectly, because the Can-Am rims & car tire beads were made for each other, but any other tire with a motorcycle bead WILL NOT FIT SAFELY!!

So when it comes to dishing the BS, any dealer who's telling you that car tires won't fit because their beads aren't correct is right up there with the best BS artist, &/or either lying knowingly thru their teeth or so ignorant you really shouldn't even let them look at your Spyder!!

Spyder Garage

Way too soon for me to post here, but when the tyme comes, Y wyll have my dealer Ynstall whatever he has in stock. I ayn't set up to do my own tyre work.
    Last edited by deer30084; 08-16-2016 at 07:37 AM.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    Answer is as above from JC. To cut a lot of threads short, the Yoko S-Drive 205/55/15 works out almost exactly the same size as the OEM Kenda 225/50/15 when fitted.
    In height yes. But almost an inch narrower. May not be much but when looking at it. Looks like alot. 205 IMO would look funny and perform a bit different.

Anyone have any pics of them side by side on the vehicle.

Stiff

2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    In height yes. But almost an inch narrower. May not be much but when looking at it. Looks like alot. 205 IMO would look funny and perform a bit different.

Anyone have any pics of them side by side on the vehicle.

Stiff

No in width they are nearly the same too. The NOMINAL size numbers are different. The ACTUAL dimensions are only 1/8 inch narrower tread width on the Yoko and contact patch is actually wider.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Just ordered the Yoko S-Drive!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first number is the tire width in millimeters. The difference between the tires is 20 mm or just over 3/4 inch. The second number is the sidewall height as a percentage of the width, that is the first number. The overall height of the tire is the last number in inches, the bead diameter, plus two times the second number. In doing the calculations you have to remember to convert the dimensions into common units.

225 - 205 = 20 mm = 0.787" nominal difference in width

(Width × height ratio × 2 / 25.4) + bead diameter = nominal tire height in inches
    (205 × 55% × 2 / 25.4) + 15 = 23.88
    (225 × 50% × 2 / 25.4) + 15 = 23.86

Although they are close to the same height, somewhere the nominal tread width is different by over 3/4 inch.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

^^ That's all fine when you are talking nominal tire sizes, but some tire manufacturers base their tire labelling on the bare tire carcass, then they overlay the tread & sidewall protective layers onto that carcass, resulting in a measurably 'larger' tire; while others base their tire labelling on the nearest nominal size once all that extra rubber has been added!!

So to compare exact tire dimensions, you really need to check the physical measurements/specs of the particular tires themselves - one brand of tire that might be labelled 215/55x15 because that's what the naked carcass measured can actually be very close in size or possibly even slightly larger than another brand of tire labelled 225/50x15 simply because that second manufacturer based their labelling on the fully wrapped & finished tire!!

You'd think that using a standard labelling system would mean that different tires labelled with the same nominal size would be close in size, but until there are mandated & enforced measuring conventions in place, some manufacturers will try to use the potential differences between what it's measured in this instance/by this method vs what labelled size will work to their advantage! Sorry, but that's just how the Mercedes' bends!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-30-2016 at 09:34 PM.