Spyder Garage

Default Looking at 2012 RS to buy

Hello beautiful people,

So I've been reading on this site all day and I am excited and extremely terrified. I have been wanting a can am for a couple of years now and I think I am financially stable to purchase one, but after reading and looking on the cost of maintenance on those bad boys i'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

What I have found is a 2012 RS with 900+ miles for 11k which I don't think is a bad price as the first maintenance is already done.

Now with the 3 / 6 / 9 and 12 k maintenance that's what scaring the crap out of me. I think I can handle the oil change by my self with the help of my mechanic so then the only issue would be the 12k marker right? And for that from what I'm reading I'll have to fork over 1000 give or take?

I currently have a 2002 honda shadow and I really really want this bike but now i'm more scared then ever! Please help

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MAINTEANCE

I have a feeling that $1000.00 includes a VALVE CHECK .............Well what people here have found is that 98% of the 998 -991 series motors don't need any valve work ( ie adjustments for 75,000 or more miles ) .... the Stealers know this and I'll bet never even check the valves BUT CHARGE YOU ANYWAY ...... Check with a Vendor here for OIL & Filters " BAJARON " ...He has great prices and will treat you right ............I have had 3 Spyders so far and don't take any of them to Dealers....... and I'm not a Mechanic and also ................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tecnodog7 View Post
    Hello beautiful people,

So I've been reading on this site all day and I am excited and extremely terrified. I have been wanting a can am for a couple of years now and I think I am financially stable to purchase one, but after reading and looking on the cost of maintenance on those bad boys i'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

What I have found is a 2012 RS with 900+ miles for 11k which I don't think is a bad price as the first maintenance is already done.

Now with the 3 / 6 / 9 and 12 k maintenance that's what scaring the crap out of me. I think I can handle the oil change by my self with the help of my mechanic so then the only issue would be the 12k marker right? And for that from what I'm reading I'll have to fork over 1000 give or take?

I currently have a 2002 honda shadow and I really really want this bike but now i'm more scared then ever! Please help
    I'll save you $5,000. I have a 2008 GS SM5 with all service/maintenance records, and one owner. I think I have around 32,000 miles; just broken in.

Spyder Garage

find a dealer with left over new stock, some older models still in crates at a fantastic price

Spyder Garage

BLUEKNIGHT911

Thank you Blueknight. I will contact BAJARON and let him know you had referred him. I'm assuming the one i'm trying to purchase will be the 998-991 series.

wyliec

Dude that doesn't sound like a bad deal at all (except for the high mileage) but I was looking at the SE so that my wife could also ride it. She doesn't know how to ride manual so that will be a bit of a problem. The one I was talking to you guys about is selling for 10k which isn't bad for such low low mileage.

Gordy

I don't like going to the dealer because they charge to high. For example a friend of mine working at harley and they have a 2010 RS for 10k while i've found private sales for 2012 / 2013 with around the same price.

Spyder Garage

You should really check with a Spyder dealer, with all of the incentives they have right now you could buy a new one for not much more money and get a warranty .

There are some dealers that are sponsors on this site that will deliver to your door and from what I've seen are some really good deals.
    Sold - 2021 RT Limited, Petrol Blue, trailer hitch.

Traded in - 2019 F3 Limited, Blue/Chrome: with
    Baja Ron swaybar, 19” tinted Freedom Windshield, Lamonster LED headlights, IPS Fog Light Kit, trailer hitch, Lamonster Mirror Locks, Ultimate TallBoy Seat.

Sold - 2014 Time-Out Camper

traded in - 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Sold - 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DTC
    Sold - 2017 Indian Roadmaster
    Traded in - 2016 F3T

And a couple hundred other bikes over the years!

Spyder Garage

Also fully in agreement with Blueknight. Valve checks can be put off. I personally had two of them done. You can call me the beta tester for the site.

I did my 2008 at 14K and my 2010 at 28K. Neither needed to be adjusted. My 2011 will wait until at least 50K if I still have it. 2014 and above F3's and RT's with the 1330 engine no longer need valve checks.

If you are counting pennies, the is more expensive than a lot of toys. But the fun quotient is pretty good.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Though others are suggesting you look at newer models etc. I think the 2012 may be a good bet as it's the last of the 'old' model RSS's. Strangely the pre-2013's produced more bhp and have a faster 0-60 speed (just). they are also more rev happy, note where the max power is for both:
    • Pre-2013 106bhp @ 8,500rpm, 104.3Nm @ 6250rpm. 0-60mph 4.5 seconds
    • 2013 onwards 100bhp 74.5kw @ 7,500rpm, 108Nm @ 5000rpm. 0-60mpg 4.6 seconds

The CAT on the 2012 is built into the exhaust while from 2013 onwards it was separate and mounted under the engine which increases heat in the engine bay.

The downsides of a 2012 are:
    • Brakes - 2013 onwards had Brembo (though the ones on the pre-2013 are fantastic as well to be honest)
    • Suspension mounts - a bit higher from 2013 onwards which improved the frontend handling a bit. You can get a kit to do this to the pre-2013s from one of site vendors.
    • pre-2013's are more rev happy - which I like but you may not.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

have a 2012 RS sm5 with 33,000 miles valves are fine only service done at the dealer was the first.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Stangman35 : I do like your suggestion but the only issue is I bought my very first 250 from a dealer and I had such a bad experience that I just never went back. Did all transaction through private buyers.

akspyderman : It's good to know that you were the beta tester for that site so people like me don't have to spend the extra cash. Also i'm not counting pennies, I just would like to know what I'm getting into before i plug in and then realize oh ****.

PistonBlown : Thank you for that information. My friend actually had a 2012 RS which I had ridden and I actually like it alot. I might go and take a test ride this weekend on the newer one to see what the differences are.

Chupaca : Nice dude, that gives me some piece of mind. I don't ride that much on my shadow i put 8k miles in the last 3 years lol.

Also gents what I have found is that the can am has extended warranty till 2017 which I think is awesome. Thoughts about upgrading the BEST warranty for a couple more years?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If your coming off a Shadow you may also want to road test an F3