Thread: Ella rear shock

Spyder Garage

Default Ella rear shock

Has anyone tried the rear Elka stage 1 shock ? I just cannot seem to get a decdnt ride out of the stock airshock. 2014 RT SE6
    I have tried every variation of air fro 40 to 70 lbs. and it still is a harsh ride.....................

Spyder Garage

Default Ella stage 2

Quote Originally Posted by manxman View Post
    Has anyone tried the rear Elka stage 1 shock ? I just cannot seem to get a decdnt ride out of the stock airshock. 2014 RT SE6
    I have tried every variation of air fro 40 to 70 lbs. and it still is a harsh ride.....................
    I just put on the Elka stage 2 last week. My wife and I went on a four hour ride this morning. Over bumps and railroad tracks it was MUCH better than stock. Two up we are about 425 lbs.

Spyder Garage

I had the local dealer install the Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock on my '14 RT (the vanilla version). It made the feel of the ride noticeably more stable. I took a 400 mile 'test run' and it performed very well. The factory rear shock was, after I had ridden the distance, really mushy. And when I hit some of those concrete slab height differences in the beautiful I-20 Freeway near Jackson, MS and the severely bumpy ride over the temporary surface of the rebuild or whatever the heck they're doing, it performed well and made the ride smoother. Kinda pricey, somewhere around $600 but in my opinion (so you know that 'they're worth but) money well spent. Sorry I waited so long to get it done. I've upgraded the performance on my bike and it is finely tuned. I've spent $6K on upgrades and not one farkle. No lights. No mirrors. No shiny chrome. Just mechanics. If you're interested, I'll give you a list. It's long. My Spyder is definitely not the one I bought.

Spyder Garage

I would like to see that list.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    ....... I've upgraded the performance on my bike and it is finely tuned. I've spent $6K on upgrades and not one farkle. No lights. No mirrors. No shiny chrome. Just mechanics. If you're interested, I'll give you a list. It's long. My Spyder is definitely not the one I bought.
    List Please? And pics where applicable please, plus overall appearance pics?!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    List Please? And pics where applicable please, plus overall appearance pics?!
    Here is the list of performance upgrades. Makes my bike stable, takes turns much faster than factory setup and mostly, makes me feel safe about riding it. If I missed something I should have done, let me know. My plan is to wrap the bike with one of the designs from www.worldclasswraps.com before I arrive at Valcourt for the homecoming. Gonna be an awesome ride.
    Set up, parts and labor if I couldn't do it myself-

Ultimate Mid Rider Seat 1350
    Seal Floorboards 515
    F4 Windshield 432
    Yuasa Battery 177
    Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner 365
    Bajaron Anti Swaybar 408
    Spyderpop Bumpskid 319
    Front Tires Conti Pro Contact 270
    Rear Tire General Altimax T43 280
    Elka 1+ Front Shocks 699
    Elka 2 Rear Shock 762
    Cat Delete Pipe 380
    Laser Front Alignment 140
    K&N Air filter 55
    Total of add ons - $6,152.00
    Oil changes per manual using Amersoil 5W-40

BEST Warranty 699

and a couple of photos. Remember, I said it is plain vanilla. I did remove the factory antenna, looked cool but it was vulnerable. Got a shorty from Amazon for ten bucks or so. TOP mod, Ultimate seat on an equal par with Bajaron Antisway bar. Those two alone made a great difference in the handling and ride. The rest just polished it off. Maybe I'm not done. My goal was performance after coming off BMW K1200LT for 10 years.

DSCN2402-1.jpgDSCN2403-1.jpgDSCN2406-1.jpgDSCN2407-1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Front Tires Conti Pro Contact 270
    Rear Tire General Altimax T43 280
    How are the car tires treating you? Do they perform as well as the factory Kendas?
    2013 Spyder RT-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
    ..... Do they perform as well as the factory Kendas?
    Few, in fact very few car tires perform 'as well' as the factory Kenda's..... just about Every car tire out there performs BETTER in pretty much ALL respects!!

Altho I'd hafta admit that some (few) car tires only perform 'somewhat better' than the Kenda crap, there are many car tires available that fall into the Waaaaaayyyyy Better category!! And when I really set my mind to it, I can't honestly think of one brand/make of tire that I've ever used/tested that's really only 'just' as good as the Kenda's!! For most people, the Kenda's barely qualify as an 'acceptable' wheel barrow, push bike, or fork lift tire in the 'keeping the metal bits off the ground' stakes; but when it comes to those other important aspects like traction, ride, handling, noise, longevity etc, they rate off the chart - the bottom of the chart!!

So here's a serious tip. If you think the Kenda's on your Spyder handle & ride 'OK', do yourself a favour & swap them for a set of quality car tires & have a ride on them. If they aren't immediately better than the Kenda's, adjust your tire pressures down a pound or two, maybe more - car tires are constructed heavily enough to carry significantly more weight than the Spyder weighs & so probably won't need quite the same pressure to carry the load! I'm pretty sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at how good your Spyder can be once it's got some reasonable tires on it!! And if that's the case, imagine how good it can be with some great tires on it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
    How are the car tires treating you? Do they perform as well as the factory Kendas?
    Our Aussie mate has hit the nail on the head so I don't need to elaborate. The mechanics of the bike makes it functionally excellent but it 's where the rubber meets the macadam is the final test. There are many tires available but I chose what I chose based on recommendations from fellow Spyderlovers. And they were the right ones. My tires are great and as noted, they make me feel safe. Especially those 90 degree turns at 75. What? OK maybe not but when I do make tight turns, I know the tires will hold.

Spyder Garage

I have an Elka stage four. It works great!

Spyder Garage

Do you guys know the spring rate on your elka shock?

spyder stryder