Thread: HUGE Mistake!

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HUGE Mistake!

OK, as an adult I should know better, but I did it anyway.
    I currently own and really like my 2013 RT-L in black current, almost all farkles are done. I have 19K miles on it and really like it, with maybe the exception of the ryding position.

Since it is the end of the model year, Johnny K's has a few 2015's left and a decent selection of 2016's as well. I know they need to get rid of them, there are nice discounts and I have a $1K coupon, so why not, I went there to pick up a shirt my wife ordered and to talk to service about a few things.

I spoke with Katie in sales about what they have in stock, she made me some offers for trading in mine and then I took a 2016 F3 Special Edition demo out for a ryde, OMG. Now I know what you are all talking about for the 1330 and six speed. When I got back she said what do you think, I told her I need a sedative, dang that was nice.

My question is for a restricted audience if you would permit me.
    IF YOU owned a 2013 or prior RT and now own an F3, give me you honest opinion of the change, I cannot image everyone has nothing but positive, but what did you lose and what did you gain from the change?
    Would you do it again?
    Does the loss of storage cause an issue?
    How do you set up for GPS or charging ports?
    Anyone have experience with matt black finishes, this is a concern of mine, I keep my bike clean.
    My warranty is not expired until 11/17 so I am not in a hurry, but my oh my was that F3 the ryding position for me and the power and handling were incredible.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

We love our F3 L and to us it's the best thing since sliced bread. The stereo is amazing and the rider comfort is great. We have all sorts of products to make it better including a detailer just for matte finishes. If you like it now you'll love it later.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ok here you Go

I have a 2013 RTL and just bought a 2016 F3L so I am somewhat qualified to speak on this. We didn't give anything up though as we still have the RTL. If you ryde 2 up, you will lose a lot of space on the seat. If you and your passenger are small folks you could be ok, but the seat on the F3 is not as comfortable for the passenger as the seat on the RT. You loose space on the F3, but for us we have added space. I put passenger and Ryder back rests on mine and have a seat bag that fits in the space and is strapped to the passenger hand grips.

You loose GPS and gain better gas mileage, a larger tank, and much more range. Oil change every 9000 miles (after the first) never needs valve adjustments, faster, better handling out of the box so you don't have to change the suspension, and you gain a little attitude. For you, if you can afford it, and you DONT ryde 2 up, it is a no brainier! The F3 is the better machine! As for the Mat black, I had the opportunity to ryde one of those as we were conducting demo rydes for BRP, and I can tell you that it really shows the finger prints. After a couple of hours it looked pretty bad. I am sure that the Lamonster Mat finishe Detailer will help with that.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post

My question is for a restricted audience if you would permit me.
    IF YOU owned a 2013 or prior RT and now own an F3, give me you honest opinion of the change, I cannot image everyone has nothing but positive, but what did you lose and what did you gain from the change?
    Would you do it again?
    Does the loss of storage cause an issue?
    How do you set up for GPS or charging ports?
    Anyone have experience with matt black finishes, this is a concern of mine, I keep my bike clean.
    My warranty is not expired until 11/17 so I am not in a hurry, but my oh my was that F3 the ryding position for me and the power and handling were incredible.

Joe
    My first Spyder was a 2013 RT Limited. My second was a 2014 RT Limited. I now have a 2016 F3 Limited and I've logged just over 40,000 miles. 3,000 of that on my F3 L.

First, if you ride two-up, take your wife on an extended ride to see if she likes being on the back. That may help your decision making process. If you ride one-up, it's a no brainer and you'll love it.

Second, if you like the storage on the RT, you'll miss that on the F3L. Less than half and there's no trunk. If you pull a trailer, it won't be so bad.

Third, hooking up a GPS is pretty easy. I can't help with the charging ports or the matt black finish. As Lamont mentioned there are products to clean it.

I've said before that as much as I like my F3 Limited, it's no RT Limited. It's like going from a full size luxury sedan to a sports car for your daily driver. It takes a little getting used to.

Hands down the motor and transmission are a cut above and well worth the upgrade. If the F3 is not in your future, a new RTL with the 1330 motor may be what you're looking for.

The F3 Limited is so new the after-market hasn't caught up yet. There are some things available, but I would imagine there's a lot more to come. I've yet to find highway pegs.

It all boils down to what kind of riding you do. Are you a traveler? Does your wife ride? Do you stay close to home? Are two Spyders in your budget?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default Detailer for Matte finish

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    We love our F3 L and to us it's the best thing since sliced bread. The stereo is amazing and the rider comfort is great. We have all sorts of products to make it better including a detailer just for matte finishes. If you like it now you'll love it later.
    Lamont, thanks for the response, included with my last purchase from you, I received a bottle of detailer and it was very very good stuff, I have been promoting it to others even non-Spyder owners. I am pleased to hear that you have one for the Matte finish, I did not know that. I am naturally concerned about it since I am a little picky about a clean shiny bike, but with a non-gloss finish I will have to adjust my definitions.

Joe
    LED fender lighting

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    My first Spyder was a 2013 RT Limited. My second was a 2014 RT Limited. I now have a 2016 F3 Limited and I've logged just over 40,000 miles. 3,000 of that on my F3 L.

First, if you ride two-up, take your wife on an extended ride to see if she likes being on the back. That may help your decision making process. If you ride one-up, it's a no brainer and you'll love it. We do ryde two up but only about 20% of our (my) miles. Thus far she will go on short trips, but not long ones, she gets stiff on the RT-L back seat.

Second, if you like the storage on the RT, you'll miss that on the F3L. Less than half and there's no trunk. If you pull a trailer, it won't be so bad. We don't have a trailer yet, been looking for a used one, but no luck. We want a trailer, because we like to golf, the ultimate would be to have a trailer, load the clubs and Ryde to the course, play then Ryde back.

Third, hooking up a GPS is pretty easy. I can't help with the charging ports or the matt black finish. As Lamont mentioned there are products to clean it. Do you just use a ram mount on the center point and use the phone? How do you keep it charged?

I've said before that as much as I like my F3 Limited, it's no RT Limited. It's like going from a full size luxury sedan to a sports car for your daily driver. It takes a little getting used to.

Hands down the motor and transmission are a cut above and well worth the upgrade. If the F3 is not in your future, a new RTL with the 1330 motor may be what you're looking for.

The F3 Limited is so new the after-market hasn't caught up yet. There are some things available, but I would imagine there's a lot more to come. I've yet to find highway pegs.

It all boils down to what kind of riding you do. Are you a traveler? Does your wife ride? Do you stay close to home? Are two Spyders in your budget? Two are not in the budget, I am recently retired, so a grumpy old man I guess. I want to travel more, but I don't believe that is in her future. Maybe I should buy a trailer to take the bike for a car Ryde?!

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
    Thanks for the advice.
    LED fender lighting

Spyder Garage

Lamont, thanks for the response, included with my last purchase from you, I received a bottle of detailer and it was very very good stuff, I have been promoting it to others even non-Spyder owners. I am pleased to hear that you have one for the Matte finish, I did not know that. I am naturally concerned about it since I am a little picky about a clean shiny bike, but with a non-gloss finish I will have to adjust my definitions.

Joe
    Thank you

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...agic-detailer/

Spyder Garage

I don't qualify for giving information on a trade to an F3. I did go from a 2010 RT to a 2014 RT and based on engine to engine, the difference is night and day.

I looked at F3 and the comfort issues were not the same for me as on the RT. Therefore, I am sticking with RT if there is another go around.

If you tried the F3 and like it--then--it is a no brainer.

Let us know what you decide to do. I am thinking you have been bitten.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No advice: just an observation...

The hook has been set, and you're as good as in the net already!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know what you mean, I was perfectly happy with my 2012 RS SE5, had it all paid off, gotten it just right with my farkles and then I took a demo F3 ride, the rest is history. Now I don't dare demo the 2016 F3T, I only have another 1800.00 before my 2015 F3 is paid off and I tell myself that I just don't like that huge backend of the F3T and I like the fact that you can take the saddlebags off at anytime, I can never hear bike stereos at interstate speeds and I like using my own phone for GPS. So far I am winning the fight.

As far at the Matt Black, I hear it is a real pain to maintain. You have to be very careful because it has no protective coat.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 08-09-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

I've driven them both but love, love the F3.. Go for it!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I demoed the F3-T and as they say the rest is history.
    But the wife didn't like it so we kept the 2014 RTS for her
    and the F3-T is all mine! Good luck with your decision.
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for nothin'

I appreciate all the responses, but nobody seems to be helping me pass on the F3, I need help here.

Joe
    LED fender lighting

Spyder Garage

Listen to the force Luke. The F3 is calling...calling...calling

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default loud?/mpg

I am glad they OP posted this question. I was wondering the same thing. I have had my RTL 2013 for less than a month. Have logged around 5,000 miles. I love the Spyder but have 2 main questions when I think of changing to a F3.

I now have to stop every 120/140 miles to get gas. It is very frustrating for the group I ride with when we are trying to cover ground. How many miles can then f3 1330 average on a tank with a single rider?

I find the ride very loud. I think it is caused from the high revin' engine. Since the 1330 revs at lower rpm have you noticed a reduction in noise?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default yes

yes quieter and i had 220 miles on tank the other day still had little over gallon left

Spyder Garage

I have 659 miles on mine and I think I've filled it up 3 times and still have 3/4 tank left right now.

Mine seams to be very quiet but I have a Roadglide and a v-rod in the garage to so my hearing may be impaired
    Sold - 2021 RT Limited, Petrol Blue, trailer hitch.

Traded in - 2019 F3 Limited, Blue/Chrome: with
    Baja Ron swaybar, 19” tinted Freedom Windshield, Lamonster LED headlights, IPS Fog Light Kit, trailer hitch, Lamonster Mirror Locks, Ultimate TallBoy Seat.

Sold - 2014 Time-Out Camper

traded in - 2017 Kawasaki ZX14R
    Sold - 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DTC
    Sold - 2017 Indian Roadmaster
    Traded in - 2016 F3T

And a couple hundred other bikes over the years!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I appreciate all the responses, but nobody seems to be helping me pass on the F3, I need help here.

Joe
    You're in the wrong place, for that kind of help!

Buy The Motorcycle.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    yes quieter and i had 220 miles on tank the other day still had little over gallon left
    I usually stop and fill up when I see the light come on. My last fill-up was 5.75 gallons and 208 miles. I am guessing I could have gone another 35 miles or so before running out.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I am glad they OP posted this question. I was wondering the same thing. I have had my RTL 2013 for less than a month. Have logged around 5,000 miles. I love the Spyder but have 2 main questions when I think of changing to a F3.

I now have to stop every 120/140 miles to get gas. It is very frustrating for the group I ride with when we are trying to cover ground. How many miles can then f3 1330 average on a tank with a single rider?

I find the ride very loud. I think it is caused from the high revin' engine. Since the 1330 revs at lower rpm have you noticed a reduction in noise?
    I think I would like to stop every 2 hours or so to stretch my legs ... so your fuel requirements sound good to me.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default RT verse F3

Been looking at Spyders for years do to life issues had to wait until this year to purchase. Wife and I both ride MC's.
    I lusted after a F3. We both rode F3's and loved them one up only. Then we test drove a F3 and a RT 2 up. Well we
    bought a RTS. For 2 up riding there is no comparison. We could not afford 2 bikes. We had a Honda GL1800 so that
    pretty well sealed the deal on a RT because at our age comfort comes first. Love the spyder and the only thing that might change is if the wife gets her own in the future it will be a F3. She rides bikes like she stole them. Best of luck. Bob