Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Throw away new factory tires?

We bought a 19 RTL last week (being delivered next week) and in my searching here I'm finding that the factory tires are "junk". I've read where people wish they would have put new "car" tires on sooner because of the difference they make in the ride and handling.
    My question is.....In your opinion should I just cut my loses on these factory tires now and look into "car" tires sooner rather than later?

If so, can someone point me in the right direction on what to buy for tires and what size ???? I know that's a hot topic so you can PM if you wish.

Thanks for your time and help,
    P.W.

Spyder Garage

Most just use what short life that they have & keep a vigilant eye on them (safety card!) while you decide what tires are next, & who will mount for you, as some places are picky & troublesome Not saying you can’t but you might have a lucky batch & get >10k miles

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by P.W. View Post
    We bought a 19 RTL last week (being delivered next week) and in my searching here I'm finding that the factory tires are "junk". I've read where people wish they would have put new "car" tires on sooner because of the difference they make in the ride and handling.
    My question is.....In your opinion should I just cut my loses on these factory tires now and look into "car" tires sooner rather than later?

If so, can someone point me in the right direction on what to buy for tires and what size ???? I know that's a hot topic so you can PM if you wish.

P.W.
    Only if you have money to burn.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I don't have money to burn .....but if they are really "junk" and make you feel insecure while riding then the extra money maybe worth it.
    I think I'll call me dealer Tuesday and see what they say about mounting car tires for me......the worst they can say is no..... then I'll look elsewhere.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I don't have money to burn .....but if they are really "junk" and make you feel insecure while riding then the extra money maybe worth it.
    I think I'll call me dealer Tuesday and see what they say about mounting car tires for me......the worst they can say is no..... then I'll look elsewhere.
    Almost all private tire shops can mount the front tires ( if you bring them the wheels ) the rear can also be done, but again you have to bring them the wheels ….. add this info to the PM I just sent you ….. Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the fast reply on the PM!!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I ran my front Kendas for 20,000 miles.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I'm think going to use the info in post#2 in regards to what to do with the factory tires.

Spyder Garage

+1

aj
    Quote Originally Posted by highwayman2013 View Post
    i ran my front kendas for 20,000 miles.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

hey you might burn up your rear tire pretty quick, your fronts can last a long time if you keep them inflated properly'
    tossing your OEM rubber ? You do understand how ridiculous that sounds right?
    How about using them while you actually learn how to ride your new Spyder, and then think about upgrades.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    hey you might burn up your rear tire pretty quick, your fronts can last a long time if you keep them inflated properly'
    How about using them while you actually learn how to ride your new Spyder, and then think about upgrades.
    Couldn't agree more.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are jumping to conclusions not supported by the facts, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Really😲

Do as you wish but I have used the oem tires since new and consistently get close to 20,000 rear 35+ on fronts. But your right if you do tire reading here I see your concern.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    You are making no sense at all. And spreading misinformation. What is your real agenda?
    I come to this forum as a beginner and get treated like this!?( this isn't the first time Utahpete has put me down today) Here's a question for you.... What is YOUR agenda? To add to your post total and make good people like me feel small. Maybe someday I'll be as great as you are now......

My question is valid....I've read numerous post where people said that they wish they would have changed out the factory tires sooner because of the difference it makes.
    I've already got easily 35k already invested in this new bike and IF I needed new tires to improve the ride and comfort felling I would spend the $300 to do so.

Spyder Garage

P.W.
    I would have to say that the OEM tires are not "junk", but rather "Sub-Optimal".
    In other words, the OEM tire are certainly serviceable, but not the best choice.
    Though some batches of the Kendas fail prematurely. My front tires began cupping at about 10k.
    Why don't you just use them up, and replace them with better rubber when the time comes.
    If you're eager to replace them, go ahead. You have nothing to lose but the money.
    Only you know how much you can afford.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, ole Pete can be a bit on the raw side if you read enough of his post you'll understand he's not diplomatic.

Spyder Garage

My rear tire is shot at 1000 KM ,fronts look good .As far as handling i have nothing to compare to !
    2018 RTL , dark blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I ran my front Kendas for 20,000 miles.
    Mine were at the wear bars at 5k miles. New fronts at 5.3k.

Regards,

Don
    2017 F3T , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and make you feel insecure while riding then the extra money maybe worth it.
    Is that the situation you are in ??

I was.....and still am to some degree......even after a sway bar, laser alignment and new tires.

The alignment and tires helped some; sway bar, not so much with the "jittery" feeling going in a straight line.

My conclusions: Some people are more sensitive than others to the different geometry of riding with 3 wheels.
    Those with a LOT of experience on 2 wheels might find it harder to adapt.

Subtle riding techniques are really important: A light grip in the bars and looking DOWN the road and THROUGH turns is critical.
    Frequent rides under various conditions might be the most important thing for getting more comfortable.
    But doing the wrong things over and over can make things worse instead of better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    While it might sound ridiculous, it really isn't.
    Bad tires are ........just BAD.

For some of us it borders on necessary.
    Getting rid of the Kenda's made a huge difference in stability for me.......and many others too it seems.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advise I appreciate your help!

As far as this thread about throwing the tires away....I just meant.... if the stock tires are really that bad if I should replace them fairly quickly. But the answers I'm getting are telling me, no there not that bad or unsafe. So I will use the up but keep a close eye on them for sure.

P.W.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I come to this forum as a beginner and get treated like this!?( this isn't the first time Utahpete has put me down today) Here's a question for you.... What is YOUR agenda? To add to your post total and make good people like me feel small. Maybe someday I'll be as great as you are now......

My question is valid....I've read numerous post where people said that they wish they would have changed out the factory tires sooner because of the difference it makes.
    I've already got easily 35k already invested in this new bike and IF I needed new tires to improve the ride and comfort felling I would spend the $300 to do so.
    By way of explanation, I'm a Spyder Lover. I love this machine. I trust the judgment of the engineers who spec'd it out. I think it's a breakthrough machine that leads the way for those seeking a safer alternative to 2-wheelers and a better-handling experience than a rear-wheel trike.

Do I think it's perfect? Of course not, but I think the evolutionary process that BRP engineers have taken with the RT in particular over the past decade is reassuring. I think if they believed there was a serious safety issue with the Kenda tires, they would have done something about them by now.

I think this hysterical bashing of the Kenda tires does a major disservice to the Spyder-loving community and this thread is a clear validation of that.

I love Spyders. I'm a Spyder fanatic. I will always defend them against those who spread misleading, conspiracy-based rumors about them.

Now, the ****ty dealer service - that's something else again.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I just traded in my 14 RTL in for a F3 Limited. I know how the RTL handled so much better with car tires, SO drove a couple hundred miles with Kendras and had enough, I put car tires on it. Too each their own. I think more important then that is GET A LASER FRONT END ALIGNMENT. BRP doesn't do so good on front end alignment.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the advise I appreciate your help!

As far as this thread about throwing the tires away....I just meant.... if the stock tires are really that bad if I should replace them fairly quickly. But the answers I'm getting are telling me, no there not that bad or unsafe. So I will use the up but keep a close eye on them for sure.

P.W.
    One other thing to bear in mind, the OEM Kendas are only 2 ply.
    That means the carcass is not as strong as a 4 ply car tire.
    Laser alignment is crucial, but so is the inflation pressure.
    Net, net, the handling with OEM tires is even more fiddly than with car tires.
    Specifically, if the air pressure is too high, the OEM tires tend to balloon out, reducing the contact patch.
    It makes he spyder sit up on the balls of its feet.
    For the front tires, this makes the spyder seem twitchy.
    For the rear, it makes the center of the tire wear out fairly quickly.
    When I ran the OEM tires, I found 17 psi in the front and 26 psi in the rear to be a good compromise.
    Good Luck and keep us posted.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I think if they believed there was a serious safety issue with the Kenda tires, they would have done something about them by now.
    Well I can tell you about a serious safety issue and it relates to the OP's question directly because I did change out my tyres at 350(ish) miles, the distance from my dealer to my home. I already knew about the issue because this is my second RT machine and my partner also is on RT number 2.

I've no idea where you ride or the type of roads you are riding but I can understand that if you primarily ride the slab you may never come across the issue.

The issue is related to the tyre structure and the way it deforms and is present to some extent in most tyres (possibly all tyres), but it's very marked in the front OEM tyres. It has caused the RT to veer completely into the adjoining carriageway more than once and fairly frequently pulls the RT over the road centre line.

I'm referring to the tendency for the tyre to ride up a longitudinal ridge as its shoulder makes contact with that ridge edge. It's exacerbated by flexibility in the steering tie rods but it's cause lies in the tyre. Here in the UK roads are often surfaced by applying tar to one side of the carriageway and covering the tar with stone chippings then the other side of the road is surfaced in the same manner. This leaves a raised section some inches wide, and occasionally more than a foot wide, in the centre of the carriageway because it receives two coatings there. On top of this there is usually the road centre line which adds to the thickness of the raised portion.

When the tyre is run in contact along this edge it distorts and jumps over the raised edge putting the wheel across onto the opposite carriageway. Normally this isn't a serious issue because it can quickly be countered so it's just a nuisance, also, staying to one's own side of the centre road marking is the normal way of travelling but, if you should cut it fine or need to avoid a road hazard then the outcome can be serious. I've only described one situation where the problem can arise but plainly this tyre behaviour can occur anywhere the road surface is poor. If the surface is such that the tyre jumps over an edge and it finds successive edges due to road surface irregularities then the bike can be many feet off line in an instant! Don't ask me how I know!

You might think that you'd be able to counter this but you can't do much about it since, 1) it's not particularly turning the steering, it's a tyre distortion issue and 2) it's very fast.

I mentioned the flexibility of the tie rods and this is to some extent part of the issue too; when the tyre distorts by rolling up a road imperfection at its edge, it becomes slightly conical as its edge lifts and a cone will roll in a circle so the tyre applies a turning moment to the road wheel and loads the tie rod, because the tie rod is flexible it allows the road wheel to be veered by the tyre a little and prevents some measure of counteracting force applied by the rider to attempt to correct the bike running off course. Now this brings us to a modification which will help mitigate the tyre issue and also sharpen up the steering response noticeably. The OEM tie rods on the 1330 Spyders are made from aluminium and although they are more rigid than the previous V-twin Spyders they are still flexible and bend under steering loads. The tie rods on our Spyders are made from 1" stainless steel tube with spherical bearings instead of the poor, and variable, quality of the standard tie rod ends. These tie rods allow much better control of the wheels and tyres but they are not a full solution.

So, in conclusion, my choice is to select a road tyre which has very little sensitivity to road surface imperfections and control the wheels with good tie rods. Hence why I changed out my tyres at new. As an aside, it also removes much of the twitchy tendency the Spyder has over any road surface which is less than good.

IMHO, of course...

To the OP; the choice is yours, only you know how and where you're going to ride your Spyder. Other than the issue I've given above, I think the OEM tyre is fine with good wet and dry grip but with limited traction on loose surfaces or winter conditions. Particularly the rear tyre.