Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil cover tupperware blowing off

I had the cover blow off the left side some months back, replaced the rubber grommets, put shrink tube on the pins, installed stainless steel lanyards on both sides. I'll be damned if the right side didn't blow off yesterday on I-95.
    Has anyone come up with a fix for this? Screws or better yet a turnlock arrangment like they use on aircraft panels? This is getting way too expensive not to mention aggravating.
    Thanks, Pat

Spyder Garage

I found velcro to be most effective.
    Shrink wrap around the pins sounds like it will make the situation worse.
    If you installed lanyards, how did you lose the panel ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I found velcro to be most effective.
    Shrink wrap around the pins sounds like it will make the situation worse.
    If you installed lanyards, how did you lose the panel ?
    Beats me, I had shark leaders attached to it. Pulled the crimp fitting off is the only thing I can think of. Saw it as it hit my leg but at 75 mph I wasn't quick enough to try and grab it. Got the panel back. Going to use it to experiment with fastening methods.

Spyder Garage

Default Side panels

I use velcro works good

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't use ANY lubricants on any of the mounting parts: it seems help...
    Make sure that everything is dry, and fully seated.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Dumb question, but was the little plastic "hook" on the side top of the panel hooked on to the bike. Sort of hard to describe without a pic... I have seen at dealers where none of the hooks were engaged and they said they were all like that... but they are supposed to be hooked, they just didn't know it....

One thing I have done that may have a side benefit of keeping the panel in place is that I wire tied each on the grommets in. That helps keep the grommet from getting push through and lost and puts more pressure on the panel pins.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Dumb question, but was the little plastic "hook" on the side top of the panel hooked on to the bike. Sort of hard to describe without a pic... I have seen at dealers where none of the hooks were engaged and they said they were all like that... but they are supposed to be hooked, they just didn't know it....

One thing I have done that may have a side benefit of keeping the panel in place is that I wire tied each on the grommets in. That helps keep the grommet from getting push through and lost and puts more pressure on the panel pins.
    Yes the hook was engaged and I had a lanyard wire on after losing the left side. The right side hadn't been removed in months since Doc and I re-did some poor wiring the previous owner had had done. Several thousand miles have been put on the bike since then. I don't ride the Interstates often if I can help it but it seems this panel couldn't handle a 70 to 80 mph run down I-95

Spyder Garage

A tip I learned from Harvey, do not use lube on the grommets. use a spritz of windex. The panel goes on easy and the windex evaporates and leaves a dry and solid rubber to peg grip.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post

My dealer consistently does not put the "hooks" in. Every oil change, that is the first thing I do before I drive off. When mentioned to the service manager, his reply, this ain't my first rodeo. Glad to say, he don't work there any more. Will see what happens next oil change.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    A tip I learned from Harvey, do not use lube on the grommets. use a spritz of windex. The panel goes on easy and the windex evaporates and leaves a dry and solid rubber to peg grip.
    'been using Windex for years on panels. It seems to almost "Glue" the pin in the grommet, and keeps it very secure.

Neil
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tethered fishing line...

The person before me, put a tethered fishing line with hooks like you would use for fishing. Works great and easy to remove if necessary. but they are long enough I don't have to un hook them..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    'been using Windex for years on panels. It seems to almost "Glue" the pin in the grommet, and keeps it very secure.

Neil
    In fact I have had to spray a little Windex on sometimes to get the pins to let go.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I found out thru experience that those little placcy hooks being engaged is critical to the panel staying on - even if you do the windex thing!! And I also learnt that if the placcy hook isn't engaged, the 'lanyard' has to be pretty damn thick & strong to stop the panel disappearing if it comes off when you're doing anything much over about 40mph!! Fishing line is nowhere near strong enough, neither is wire leader! Then our local 'not so great dealer' (who is now closed down) broke the placcy hooks off - BOTH the left & the right panels!! I chased them to replace the panels (again!) but while I was waiting & checking out an RS, it dawned on me how to fix that 'loose panel issue', permanently!! No, not by offing the dealer (but I gotta admit the thought was there for a short while!) but by replacing the placcy hook with a stainless DZUS fastener similar to those used on the side of the RS!!

So when I got the replacement panels, the placcy hooks were removed & DZUS fasteners installed in those positions. I haven't had any issues since, & the Staff at the new Dealer (great bunch of people) have not only been very assiduous in making sure they are on & engaged properly, but they've also been recommending fitting them instead of relying on the hooks to everyone who takes their RT's in for service. The DZUS fasteners provide a positive lock to hold that corner of the panel in, as well as a positive locking action to let whoever's replacing the panel & the rider know that the panel isn't going to be going anywhere once it's on & engaged!!

Sooo, simple fix, just replace the placcy hooks up the top/back of the panel with Stainless DZUS fasteners, your choice of colour & even head style, but I went for the shiny 'D' ring types like the RS's have on their side panel (matched everything else on my RT Ltd) - got a pack of 4 x 3/4" long off eBay, backing plates included, for about $5 delivered vs the 1 x $30 or whatever it was that BRP wanted. It was only about a two minute job with a sharp knife & a drill to fit them, then Bob's yer'uncle!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-08-2016 at 05:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Well Uncle Bob how about a picture? I really like that idea. As my dealer is not too careful about making sure they are hooked I would like a more positive engagement.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Can you post a picture of the Dzus fasteners on your Spyder?

Thanks
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Hadta take a pic or two!

The second picture angle isn't great, but it does show the clip well; the first is from a bit further away & the clip is not quite so visible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Wow, that is how my Yamaha sled panels are elderly on with. Will have to take a closer look.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the Pics, looks good.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I found out thru experience that those little placcy hooks being engaged is critical to the panel staying on - even if you do the windex thing!! And I also learnt that if the placcy hook isn't engaged, the 'lanyard' has to be pretty damn thick & strong to stop the panel disappearing if it comes off when you're doing anything much over about 40mph!! Fishing line is nowhere near strong enough, neither is wire leader! Then our local 'not so great dealer' (who is now closed down) broke the placcy hooks off - BOTH the left & the right panels!! I chased them to replace the panels (again!) but while I was waiting & checking out an RS, it dawned on me how to fix that 'loose panel issue', permanently!! No, not by offing the dealer (but I gotta admit the thought was there for a short while!) but by replacing the placcy hook with a stainless DZUS fastener similar to those used on the side of the RS!!

So when I got the replacement panels, the placcy hooks were removed & DZUS fasteners installed in those positions. I haven't had any issues since, & the Staff at the new Dealer (great bunch of people) have not only been very assiduous in making sure they are on & engaged properly, but they've also been recommending fitting them instead of relying on the hooks to everyone who takes their RT's in for service. The DZUS fasteners provide a positive lock to hold that corner of the panel in, as well as a positive locking action to let whoever's replacing the panel & the rider know that the panel isn't going to be going anywhere once it's on & engaged!!

Sooo, simple fix, just replace the placcy hooks up the top/back of the panel with Stainless DZUS fasteners, your choice of colour & even head style, but I went for the shiny 'D' ring types like the RS's have on their side panel (matched everything else on my RT Ltd) - got a pack of 4 x 3/4" long off eBay, backing plates included, for about $5 delivered vs the 1 x $30 or whatever it was that BRP wanted. It was only about a two minute job with a sharp knife & a drill to fit them, then Bob's yer'uncle!
    Thanks Peter, that's exactly what I had in mind.
    Pat

Spyder Garage

Hadta take a pic or two!

The second picture angle isn't great, but it does show the clip well; the first is from a bit further away & the clip is not quite so visible.
    Thanks Peter that is just what I needed to see.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Baker Air Wings not only redirect air flow but keep the panels securely fastened.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you Peter

Hadta take a pic or two!

Got the pins today, installed on both panels in less than 10 minutes. Thanks so very much for the information and the pictures.
    Pat Clark

Spyder Garage

Default Parts to Order

Just had an oil change at a dealer. Noticed the next day the right panel was GONE! No need to ask them, they are not too bright. Surprised me the right side was gone, as there is no need to remove it on an oil change. Looking at ordering the replacement parts now. The schematic is a bit fuzzy to me. It appears I need the panel, the chrome piece and a plastic clip??? of some sort. Is that all? Looking at the remaining panel, is appears so.

Thanks.
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clark View Post
    I had the cover blow off the left side some months back, replaced the rubber grommets, put shrink tube on the pins, installed stainless steel lanyards on both sides. I'll be damned if the right side didn't blow off yesterday on I-95.
    Has anyone come up with a fix for this? Screws or better yet a turnlock arrangment like they use on aircraft panels? This is getting way too expensive not to mention aggravating.
    Thanks, Pat
    Velcro
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder2012 View Post
    Just had an oil change at a dealer. Noticed the next day the right panel was GONE! No need to ask them, they are not too bright. Surprised me the right side was gone, as there is no need to remove it on an oil change. Looking at ordering the replacement parts now. The schematic is a bit fuzzy to me. It appears I need the panel, the chrome piece and a plastic clip??? of some sort. Is that all? Looking at the remaining panel, is appears so.

Thanks.
    Found no clip, just a torx screw. Thanks!
    2012 RTS M5 , Baja Ron Blue