Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default This Year I've earned a new riding badge....

So I've been a proud Spyder owner for about 4 years. Up until this year I really didn't have a good set of rain gear for the rides. This year there's now been twice I've been caught in some torrential rain. Once in Spyderfest earlier this year and once a couple days ago while on my way home from work. While I can say I haven't quite waterlogged as many miles as some of you, I believe I can adequately say that I earned my Mother Nature is an ******* badge. Plus, I've learned that while not the most ideal of riding conditions, riding in the rain isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sypderrobinson134 View Post
    So I've been a proud Spyder owner for about 4 years. Up until this year I really didn't have a good set of rain gear for the rides. This year there's now been twice I've been caught in some torrential rain. Once in Spyderfest earlier this year and once a couple days ago while on my way home from work. While I can say I haven't quite waterlogged as many miles as some of you, I believe I can adequately say that I earned my Mother Nature is an ******* badge. Plus, I've learned that while not the most ideal of riding conditions, riding in the rain isn't nearly as bad as it used to be.
    Lol.....Mother Nature is a *******!
    That can certainly be an understatement.
    i like the award title tho!

Spyder Garage

Good rain gear will make a difference between tolerance and misery. If you absolutely, positively have to ride in a deluge--good rain gear is a must.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Only half....

Finding the place to stop and put on the rain gear is the other half... but a must for the traveler....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sypderrobinson134 View Post
    i know what you mean. My initiation was riding home from SpyderQuest last fall. There was a steady rain for a good bit of the way, but not a torrential downpour. To my surprise, I didn't mind the rain a bit - especially on the interstate. I just put the windshield up and most of the water just blew around me, or over the top. I was wearing genes and a nylon jacket, so I didn't even pull over to get out the Frog Togs I had in my side compartment. Didn't notice any difference in the way the Spyder handled.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-08-2016 at 05:26 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Finding the place to stop and put on the rain gear is the other half... but a must for the traveler....
    Some great smart phone apps, like "RadarNow!" help with that - Maryland Spyder Web almost never gets caught without our rain gear when the skies open - we check the radar at gas stops and breaks, and if the radar shows we are likely to hit rain, we gear up for it. That saves having to pull over in a downpour to put it on.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Next up...hail...

We rode in pea and marble size yesterday out of Sturgis. We ATGATT so no worries. Mesh gloves do let the marble size ones smack your knuckles a bit though. The bikes behind us were funny. We were at a stoplight waiting to get on I90 and I don't think the one girl had ever seen hail... "is that ice" she asked as it was just starting. Lots of bikers were not wearing any gear and we're looking pretty miserable getting pelted.

We just sort of grinned and hit the highway.
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Registered Users sypderrobinson134's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The gear I've got isn't top of the line, but it's pretty good. I'll admit that what I rode in was a pretty damn nasty storm and I was wet up top but to be fair I didn't realize it until I got stopped so that wasn't a horrible problem. My bottom half was pretty well dry all the way. In all honesty I'm not sure if I'm wearing it right half the time but I know that it eliminated the hellish pain of riding in the rain that's for sure.

As for hail, I thought I was going to hit that going to Spyderfest this year but managed to avoid it lucky for me. I've been loving it this year and have almost went 5000 miles. My ultimate goal is to get to where I can ride damn near year round except in the case of ice and snow. Almost there, just some good winter gear needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my way home from my trip to South Dakota I ran into rain three times on the way home. I have the same rain gear I wore when I was riding two wheels. The only problem I had was getting the top tight around my neck because I didn't take my jacket off. A littlenwet on the top side, but I stayed mostly dry. Since I was riding in 90+ degree weather the wet actually felt good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    ... I was wearing genes and a nylon jacket...
    Reminds me of a joke...

Q: How do you tell the sex of a chromosome?

A: You pull down its genes!

NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl