Spyder Garage

Default Fieldsheer Mesh jacket

Looking at past posts about mesh jackets I came across 1 reference to Fieldsheer. The reviews mostly seemed to be very positive except for a couple about the rain proofing. Do any of you have experience using the High Temp Fieldsheer Jacket in rainy conditions. Did it preform well? A couple of the on-line vendors have the jacket deeply discounted so a jacket could be a very good deal.

Spyder Garage

I don't think rain proofing and mesh jacket go well together.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

A lot of the mesh gear comes with a waterproof and some with a thermo liners. So mesh and and rainproof do go together. ;-)

Spyder Garage

Well, I have one of the Field Sheer mesh jackets. I would never rely on it to be much of a protective jacket for rain. Yeah, it has a liner, but I certainly wouldn't put much confidence in it to keep me dry like a rain coat would. The liner is nothing but a zip-in wind breaker type shell. It helps to keep the wind out on chilly days, but I don't think it would offer much else for very long. I do really like it though, it does what I expect a mesh jacket to do, with lots of pockets and built-in removable pads in elbows and lower back.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also have a Fieldsheer mesh jacket and have had it for about 5 years. Great airflow!!! The zip in/out liner is a good windbreaker and it also does repel the water pretty well.
    I think the best bet is a rain jacket and pants (Frog Togs) for full protection. I do wear this jacket as a 3 season jacket by having the liner in and adding a sweat shirt underneath, works well for me down to 35° or so. I would buy another one of these if I need a replacement!!!!

Spyder Garage

The three mesh jackets I have did not come with any kind of waterproof liner.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've got my second First Gear mesh jacket. I don't see how a rain liner would be worth having since the wind breaker liner is useless, IMO. Sure, the liner will keep the wind or rain from contacting your skin, but it is thin and the cold from the wind or rain goes right through it. It provides no insulation value whatever. In my experience the best wind and rain barrier is a jacket OVER the mesh jacket. That creates an insulating air space over your skin.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Fieldsheer mesh that I bought for $50 in 2010 and I just retired it earlier this year. It was a great mesh jacket but I only used the rain liner once. I may have been dry from the rain but I was wet from sweat - it is kind of like wrapping yourself in Saran wrap. My new mesh jacket also has a rain liner and it doesn't breathe any better than the Fieldsheer.

Also, the Fieldsheer said that it was not machine washable but I washed mine in the machine quite a few times with no issues.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

i guess to really confuse the issue what kind of mesh gear do you use?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    i guess to really confuse the issue what kind of mesh gear do you use?
    I have a BRP summer mesh jacket.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have a Columbia three season jacket and pants with mesh, pads and insulated liners. works great (down to 30deg. or so). For rain however, I have a full two piece hi-viz rain suit . . . again Columbia.
    Veni, vidi, discessit

Potius sero quam nunquam

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I don't think rain proofing and mesh jacket go well together.

Like window screens on a submarine
    2019 Rally , Black